Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Sorry rlchurch. I do not agree and judging from the 1980 election, nor did the majority of the populace. If Carter was as good as you claim and yet could not tout himself as such, then that is further evidence that he was a gross failure.

As for the Neocons remark, I cannot stomach listening that tripe any longer as I am not one yet have no obsession with them. Bush II is a bad president. Carter was a bad president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,905 times
i dont think he was necessarily bad, but he had a lot of inexperienced advisors and Cabinet members.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Sorry rlchurch. I do not agree and judging from the 1980 election, nor did the majority of the populace. If Carter was as good as you claim and yet could not tout himself as such, then that is further evidence that he was a gross failure.
Like I said Carter was the parent who made you eat your vegetables and do your homework. He lost the popularity contest to Reagan.

Funny you seem to have changed criteria though. Less interested in looking at accomplishments I see.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
First, a president has to be a leader. Rather than present a vision to the country, Carter would go on the television and hector Americans about our collective national malaise.

Further, admirable as he was as a man, he was an abject failure on the international front. During his term in office, the Soviets became far more aggressive, the debacle in Iran occurred, and OPEC saw fit to raise oil prices to extortionate levels (Kind of like today). Carter's one achievement was the creation of permanent peace between Egypt and Israel.

Economically, Carter dismissed some sound economic groundwork laid during the Ford administration, which led to severe inflation, thereby weakening the American economy. It took Paul Volker's strong medicine to finally quell inflation to some kind of sustainable level. On the other hand, Carter deserves credit for continuing Ford's deregulation work.

At the same time, I think Carter took the brunt of the blame for Lyndon Johnson's failed Great Society programs. Johnson's social programs essentially destroyed the inner city, caused crime to skyrocket, increased taxation levels, and sent the public debt skyrocketing. All these problems came to a head in the Carter administration. The American people collectively said, "Enough," and vented their frustration on the most visible Democrat they could find.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Like I said Carter was the parent who made you eat your vegetables and do your homework. He lost the popularity contest to Reagan.
A bad president who lost to a good one.

Quote:
Funny you seem to have changed criteria though. Less interested in looking at accomplishments I see.
I do not see too many worth a look. He certainly did a few good things. So did Nixon and LBJ.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:09 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Another view of Carter is from the "inside" of government.

My experience with his administration is that they did not know how to properly manage large organizations. He established a process called "Zero Based Budget (ZBB)", which forced you to completely rejustify all of your spending, even your existence, each budget cycle.

While I'm certain many posters would view this as a good idea, in practice it is extremely wasteful. Far too much time was spent analyzing and writing up plans, and having them reviewed by multiple layers of management and external organizations, instead of actually doing work.

The process of developing metrics associated with goals, and assuring accurate and timely measures is a much more efficient and effective management process. Fortunately, subsequent leaders did away with ZBB.

Baseline Budgeting (http://www.accts.com/baseline.htm - broken link)

Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
All you really have to do is look at what he is doing and saying today, and you will get a good Idea of his attitude and opinions and understand why he was a disaster as a President. h In foreign policy will consistently take the side detrimental to America. You can sum up his economic prowess with one word, Stagflation! 1977 -79 was the one time in my life that , I remember, you could not buy a job, not a good job there werent even lousy job's to be had.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
He is judged like all presidents by what happened and what he did. during his administraion. The economy went in the tank during his administraion. The embargo hurt but then we had double digit inflation;the iranians took over our embassy and his rescue missi0n failed.Reagan came in and the iranians released the hostages immediately. The economy got better and he hads infectious confidence in the america. In short I would say that Carter was weak in his leadership and dispalyed no confidence. He seemed to thnk that americas better days were ovcer and we were much like the past british empire.In the end it was like the difference between Coolidge and FDR. FDR had leadership ability and Coolidge did not. Same goes for Carter verus Reagan.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
it was like the difference between Coolidge and FDR. FDR had leadership ability and Coolidge did not.
Hold on now. I think you mean Hoover and FDR. Coolidge is considered by those in the know to be a good president. He turned down a second term although one was for the asking.

Keep cool with Coolidge.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
One example... Iran was holding our people hostage for over 400 days and he didn't have the cajones to do anything about it. As Reagan was being sworn in, they released the hostages, because they KNEW that Reagan would go after them.

The October Surprise conspiracy was an alleged plot that claimed representatives of the 1980 Ronald Reagan presidential campaign had conspired with Islamic Republic of Iran to delay the release of 52 Americans held hostage in Tehran until after the 1980 U.S. Presidential election. In exchange for their cooperation, the United States would supply weapons to Iran as well as unfreeze Iran's monetary assets being held by the US government.
Jimmy Carter had been attempting to deal with the Iran hostage crisis and the hostile regime of the Ayatollah Khomeini for nearly a year. Those who assert that a deal was made allege that certain Republicans with CIA connections, including George H. W. Bush, arranged to have the hostages held through October, until Reagan could defeat Carter in early November, and then be released, thereby preventing an “October surprise” from the Carter administration in which the hostages would be released shortly before the election. The hostages were released the day of Reagan's inauguration, twenty minutes after his inaugural address.

October surprise conspiracy theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

also...

reagan sent iran weapons in exchange for hostages during the 83' hezbollah kidnapping, what an appeaser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies