Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 02:34 PM

23,644 posts, read 17,332,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Does anyone have a great example of a story that Google buries because it doesn't fit the narrative but something like Duck Duck Go has it come up in the search results? Asking for a friend.
I know it, you know it, google knows it and so does everyone who used google to search on political issues.

Useless to collect examples of google's propaganda directed algorithms, who is going to resolve the problem?????

Answer... NO ONE!

Which means it is up to consumers to act imaginatively.

This is the wild west and a land without law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 04:42 PM

13,268 posts, read 21,900,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I know it, you know it, google knows it and so does everyone who used google to search on political issues.

Useless to collect examples of google's propaganda directed algorithms, who is going to resolve the problem?????

Answer... NO ONE!

Which means it is up to consumers to act imaginatively.

This is the wild west and a land without law.
So the answer is no, you don't have any examples.

"Feelings
Wo-o-o feelings
Nothing more than feelings
Wo-o-o, yeah"

Old 03-03-2022, 05:32 PM

603 posts, read 276,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
Correct. Companies can pay to have their results pushed to the top of the list which somewhat skews the results, but it's overwhelmingly algorithm-based.
I think the issue is that it's overwhelmingly algorithm-based, except when something is really important and a lot of money is at stake. Which is precisely when one would want less bias in the results. I do have an old paper saved going into the math of search algorithms such as Google's, but it doesn't take much imagination to implement bypasses for certain keywords or influence result weights (and that's without even touching machine learning), at least if the price is right.
Edit: the paper is "Advanced Metasearch Engine Technology"

Old 03-03-2022, 06:02 PM

17,669 posts, read 17,853,516 times
The answer is to use multiple search engines and search terms. Certain search engines and social media platforms are notorious for ghosting sites and topics.

Old 03-03-2022, 06:13 PM

21,380 posts, read 7,995,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So the answer is no, you don't have any examples.

"Feelings
Wo-o-o feelings
Nothing more than feelings
Wo-o-o, yeah"
A simple way to check is to type a set phrase -- political or controversial -- slowly into each search engine. Look at the autofill. Where is the search engine trying to drive you?

Then look at the search results. Do this for 3 or 4 phrases in 3 or 4 search engines. See what you find. If you are truly interested in seeing the difference.

There was a really good video on this that showed a bunch of search engines, how the autofills populated and what the search results were.

Of course, it's been scrubbed from YouTube.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
Correct. Companies can pay to have their results pushed to the top of the list which somewhat skews the results, but it's overwhelmingly algorithm-based.
This needs some clarification. You cannot pay Google to improve your search rating. You can buy an advertisement so that your link appears on top, however it's clearly marked on the results with, "Ad".

You can also pay money to SEO (search engine optimization) companies who claim they can improve your rankings. Most of them area a sham. But there are some legit ones that can make a difference. They do this by spamming the internet with links to your site. Part of the Google ranking algorithm is taking into account the number of web pages that refer to your site. So it does work to some degree, but probably makes as many enemies as it does legit hits.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
A simple way to check is to type a set phrase -- political or controversial -- slowly into each search engine. Look at the autofill. Where is the search engine trying to drive you?

Then look at the search results. Do this for 3 or 4 phrases in 3 or 4 search engines. See what you find. If you are truly interested in seeing the difference.

There was a really good video on this that showed a bunch of search engines, how the autofills populated and what the search results were.

Of course, it's been scrubbed from YouTube.
I've already explained this once, but here it is again.

Search line auto-completion uses prediction based on what's trending by other users and taking into account your location. Google will remove offensive suggestions. However, they never add a suggestion.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:09 PM

24,832 posts, read 9,600,742 times
Google suppresses data that doesn’t fit their narrative.

Try finding out the number of fully vaccinated COVID deaths, goodluck.

Try finding out the latest black out of wedlock birthrates.

You have to really dig deep.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 868,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Does anyone have a great example of a story that Google buries because it doesn't fit the narrative but something like Duck Duck Go has it come up in the search results? Asking for a friend.
Literally everything. I open google every time I need to do a search and I type in DuckDuckGo and then I go to DuckDuckGo’s website. I want them to know what I’m doing. I want them to know that I no longer use their agenda driven, censorship search engine. Google, Facebook, Twitter, are all banned by me and banned by me for life.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:21 PM

30,292 posts, read 11,940,050 times
Hate to say this but there is a Nuclear Reactor in Ukraine that is on fire and fears it might blow. 10 times worse than Chornobyl. Russia has been shelling it relentlessly. Yet we are more concerned to whether Google is letting us say everything we want to say. Waa!!!

Wow. This is one example why the US is not winning a WW3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies