Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 06:51 AM

31,335 posts, read 14,444,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
LOL...yes, tell that to a family of 4. Cool story Bro.

And no, I don't live there now because I understand the situation, unlike you.
Rent out a room in your house then. Complaining on here isn't going to solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 06:53 AM

2,335 posts, read 822,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Rent out a room in your house then. Complaining on here isn't going to solve anything.
I'm not complaining. I live in a beautiful home in Texas paid for by the home in California. I'm simply evicerating a foolish study and argument made by you and the original poster (and clearly I'm not alone on this thread). This is a forum. People discuss things.

The reality is (although you can't seem to understand it), a family of 4 will not be renting out a room. To suggest that is ridiculous.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:54 AM

89,677 posts, read 45,318,108 times
Quote:
Indeed it is. That would require someone in the Bay Area to live somewhere like Vacaville, so yeah, you're no longer living in San Francisco. But luckily, there actually is a subway that would get someone to work in just over 2 hours one way. And the cost for that ride....just under $11 each way. Good job sport.
If that's what one can afford to not live paycheck to paycheck, that's what they do. And it's not "changing location." Same workplace. Cheaper housing option.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If that's what one can afford to not live paycheck to paycheck, that's what they do. And it's not "changing location." Same workplace. Cheaper housing option.
Of course it's changing locale. And with the pandemic, many people actually work from different states now. Haven't you heard of WFH

Old 03-14-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Of course it's changing locale.
No, it isn't. They're called metropolitan areas for a reason. It's an inclusive locale.

Quote:
And with the pandemic, many people actually work from different states now. Haven't you heard of WFH
More people than ever are working from home. There's no reason whatsoever to overspend on housing.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
No, it isn't. They're called metropolitan areas for a reason. It's an inclusive locale.

More people than ever are working from home. There's no reason whatsoever to overspend on housing.
Yeah, it is changing locale

And yes, changing locale by working in another state will afford one the ability to like like a king on $100k so they won't be living in a high COL like San Francisco. Glad you agree.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it is changing locale

And yes, changing locale by working in another state will afford one the ability to like like a king on $100k so they won't be living in a high COL like San Francisco. Glad you agree.
You've just admitted that overspending on housing is a foolish choice, not a locale-driven necessity.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
You've just admitted that overspending on housing is a foolish choice, not a locale-driven necessity.
Nah, I agreed that living in a different locale is paramount to reducing costs. I'm glad to see you're finally getting this after all this time. There's hope for you after 44 pages of a lot of nonsense.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:11 AM

5,808 posts, read 5,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
it has gotten totally out of control -- EVERYONE is price gouging.

It cost more for my cats ultrasound than it cost for MY ultrasound.
That's because your Ultra sound is paid by heath insurance but you pay full price for the kitty. Get pet insurance next time We got that for our two great dane pups when we first got them as pups to get everything covered (no previously conditions loophole).

Old 03-14-2022, 11:54 AM

18,586 posts, read 16,015,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
That's because your Ultra sound is paid by heath insurance but you pay full price for the kitty. Get pet insurance next time We got that for our two great dane pups when we first got them as pups to get everything covered (no previously conditions loophole).

One needs to do the math on that.

For instance, let's say one pays $80/month/per pet for pet insurance premiums. $960/year for 1 pet. Most pets have increasing medical issues as they age. So, by the time a pet reaches 10 years old, the owner has paid $9,600 in pet insurance premiums, not considering inflation or possible rate increases that may have occurred.

Imagine said owner instead put $2K in a broad market index fund investment at the beginning of their pet's life and then added $80/month to their investment, every month. Let's say on average, they get 7% CAGR. They would have a balance of $17,866 at year 10. Let's say the CAGR was only 5.5% per year over 10 years. That's low, but let's go with it. Year 10 the balance would be nearly $16,225.

Financially, it would be better to put $10K into said index fund investment year 1 and keep contributing $80/month (or more) to the investment. At a CAGR of 5.5% the account would have $30,070 year 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies