Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 05:41 AM

59,438 posts, read 27,594,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
An inability to refute the comment so into attack mode. A common tactic by the OP. You're the only one that's ignored your own intial post from the get-go, every time someone has pointed out to you that it's not what you think. I assure you, I'm very aware of my financial situation and what a similar situation netted for me over the years, and I'm not complaining. Believe it or not, people earning over $100,000 can actually turn their situations around fairly quick (I realize that may be hard for you to comprehend).
I've often said to InformedConsent, that he/she is one of the MOST UN-informed on here, even though he/she thinks otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That is true, they don't teach personal finance and wealthy building in public schools. Nor do many parents teach it to their kids.
Depends on the school.

All inclusive claims are useless.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No attack. Just a reference to reality. You seem to be unwilling to accept reality.
"You seem to be unwilling to accept reality"

As they say, "pot, meet kettle"!

Old 03-09-2022, 05:53 AM

89,413 posts, read 45,120,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So you think only Catholics go to Catholic colleges?
The point is that religious schools don't indoctrinate. Emory University, which works closely with the CDC because they're co-located, is a Methodist school. No indoctrination.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:54 AM

57,405 posts, read 26,393,769 times
The article isn't clear, are these single people living by themselves or one earner families.

Old 03-09-2022, 07:47 AM

14,076 posts, read 5,692,856 times
After taxes and insurance, the average $100k earner will bring home ~$5k monthly, $2500 if paid twice a month, or $2300ish if paid every two weeks.

Outside of ridiculous areas like SanFran, NYC, Seattle, Honolulu, etc....if you cannot live on $5k monthly, then YOU, not Brandon, are the freaking problem.

And honestly, if you make $100k and actually try to live in one of America's full potato housing markets, then again, that is entirely on YOU, not Brandon.

Besides my wife, my aunt might be the person I love most in all the world, and she owns a townhouse in NW DC that is a couple down from her own. With the super duper family discount, I can get the cheapest rent in that entire neighborhood per sq ft, and only pay $3k monthly. That is triple my current mortgage in a suburb of Cleveland, and for less sq ft of living space. Sure, if I went to work for a DC outfit doing my gig, I would for sure get paid more, but it would need to be hella north of $100k to make it worth my while.

That isn't on Brandon. That's 20+ years of gentrification at work. I can choose to live well on my salary, or I can choose to live paycheck to paycheck. My choice is not Brandon's fault.

Now, is stuff more expensive in the current day? Sure. But again, my choices can alleviate a lot of those effects. I pay $5 for a month of coffee. People in the Starbucks drive through pay that much daily. Figure 20 work days per month for most folks, and all us coffee drinkers can choose to pay $5 a month or $100. Is Brandon at fault for the dopes who order $9 paragraph named coffees at Starbucks? Does he get credit for my choice to go a month on $5?

In every area of life, choices just like coffee drinking happen, and the individual is in control of 100% of those, and Brandon is control of 0%. I hate government, but if you are counting on the federal government to set your quality of life...you make bad choices.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
After taxes and insurance, the average $100k earner will bring home ~$5k monthly, $2500 if paid twice a month, or $2300ish if paid every two weeks.

Outside of ridiculous areas like SanFran, NYC, Seattle, Honolulu, etc....if you cannot live on $5k monthly, then YOU, not Brandon, are the freaking problem.

And honestly, if you make $100k and actually try to live in one of America's full potato housing markets, then again, that is entirely on YOU, not Brandon.

Besides my wife, my aunt might be the person I love most in all the world, and she owns a townhouse in NW DC that is a couple down from her own. With the super duper family discount, I can get the cheapest rent in that entire neighborhood per sq ft, and only pay $3k monthly. That is triple my current mortgage in a suburb of Cleveland, and for less sq ft of living space. Sure, if I went to work for a DC outfit doing my gig, I would for sure get paid more, but it would need to be hella north of $100k to make it worth my while.

That isn't on Brandon. That's 20+ years of gentrification at work. I can choose to live well on my salary, or I can choose to live paycheck to paycheck. My choice is not Brandon's fault.

Now, is stuff more expensive in the current day? Sure. But again, my choices can alleviate a lot of those effects. I pay $5 for a month of coffee. People in the Starbucks drive through pay that much daily. Figure 20 work days per month for most folks, and all us coffee drinkers can choose to pay $5 a month or $100. Is Brandon at fault for the dopes who order $9 paragraph named coffees at Starbucks? Does he get credit for my choice to go a month on $5?

In every area of life, choices just like coffee drinking happen, and the individual is in control of 100% of those, and Brandon is control of 0%. I hate government, but if you are counting on the federal government to set your quality of life...you make bad choices.
" the average $100k earner"
"With your head in the hot oven and your feet in a bucket of ice "on average" you feel OK"

To me, these "the average" are a waste of time and useless.

A $100k does NOT go near as far in Hawaii as it does in say the hills of W Va. for example.

The United States are too diverse for "the average'" to have any real meaning or make any sense.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:43 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,092,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" the average $100k earner"
"With your head in the hot oven and your feet in a bucket of ice "on average" you feel OK"

To me, these "the average" are a waste of time and useless.

A $100k does NOT go near as far in Hawaii as it does in say the hills of W Va. for example.

The United States are too diverse for "the average'" to have any real meaning or make any sense.
^^^^

I totally agree with this, I now live back in the metro Seattle area where I was on and raise. Prior to that, Anchorage, AK and before that, the metro NYC area. A $100K income in these areas are enough to meet all your basic needs without worrying if if you have enough to pay the electricity bill at the end of the month.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:49 AM

22,050 posts, read 9,632,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
My grandkids have taken a personal finance class in their public HS. It depends on how the school system wants it graduates to be able to live.

Those who want to remove books and throw religion seem to be removing those personal finance-wealth building classes.
If by 'remove books' you mean take out the books with descriptive sexual experiences, then I am all for it. Conservatives are not interested in banning To Kill A Mockingbird or Tom Sawyer. The liberals are the ones who hate those.

Old 03-10-2022, 06:13 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Anyone else find it puzzling how big corporations are enjoying record profits? Any story on inflation that doesn't mention this is not telling you the full truth.

Container shipping company profits during the first 9 months of 2021 = $80 billion. All of 2010-2020 was $38 billion.

"Man, those supply-chain problems and inflation is just killing us"

The company that makes Jeep and Ram trucks sold 3% more makes vehicles, profits up more than 100% because they raised the price of cars.

Colgate-Palmolive: "we are forced to raise prices" while they increased stock buy-backs for investors and execs by 50% last year to over $1 billion, revenue at record highs and their CEO makes $14.4 million per year.

Kroger profits are at record highs. it's stock is up 36%. CEO got 45% raise to $22 million. Many of Krogers workers can't pay their bills and are on food stamps.

I can go on and on. Look at any nearly big corporation and it's the same story.

Why are groceries so expensive? Corporate greed, that's why.
"You will own nothing and you will be happy" - World Economic Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies