Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2022, 11:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,804,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This take dates back to 2016 when inflation was 1.26%.

Based on this “ study” 44% making $100,000- $149,999 have less than $1000 in savings.

The US people are lousy savers, regardless of inflation or who sits the oval.

https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/mos...000-a-yea.html

US people tend to live in bigger spaces, have more stuff, dine out more frequently, etc than in the rest of the world.
The "dine out more frequently" part may not be true. I lived in Asia and Europe and find people in those places often dine out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 11:18 AM

63,917 posts, read 46,933,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Those who make 100K may have high student loan in 6 figures,think law school and MBA programs.
Those who make $25,000 may have similar debt, too.

42% of those who graduate do so with no student debt.

The average debt for those who financed some/ all is about $32,000.

Of those who incurred debt a meaningful percentage use borrowed money for non- education related expenses.
According to this, 54% never bothered to calculate monthly payments when they took out loans.

According to some surveys/ polls, 25% of college students intend to travel for spring break. Miami, Myrtle Beach, Cancun, So Padre, Cabo and Playa del Carmine are among the most popular destinations for college students. Inflation does not seem to put a dent in it.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Because they go into deep debt to get their "bling". CC debt surged in 2021 as people came out of pandemic hiding and they spent like drunken sailors.
Actually not, according to this which relies on FED reserve data.

4th Q 2019 was a record with $927 billion.

4th Q 2021 was $856 billion.

https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-c...bt-statistics/

Reportedly, about 37% of people pay their credit card balances in full. I am one of them. If I can charge , without incurring an incremental service fee, I do. This includes $1 Coke at Mc Donald’s drive thru to new windows for my home. I always ask if there is a discount for cash/ check on big purchases. Far and few between.

Old 03-05-2022, 11:55 AM

2,029 posts, read 882,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The first thing you have to do is pay yourself first.
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
There is literally no reason why someone making 100k a year has no savings, that is an incredibly bad and wasteful use of your money. The only rare exception might be someone really maxed to the hilt; 6 kids, owes huge amount of money to a mortgage and other loans, college expenses, lives in a high tax state, huge medical bills, etc. Even then you need to create a budget.
Depends on where you live, however too many people live beyond their means. Big house, newer car, too many toys.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:08 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,500,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
more money, more problems.

Make more, spend less
I've had the opposite experience. Being able to buy everything that I need and just about all that I want has been wonderful and created way fewer problems for me

Old 03-05-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I honestly think if people knew how bad inflation was about to get, they wouldn't be traveling so much.
No one knows, with certainty, how bad inflation will be or for how long.

Some are optimistic it is short- lived while others pessimistic.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
100% correct, and may I add corporate taxes too....all passed along to the consumer, corps NEVER wind up paying those added costs either. How do I know? I've owned a corp. for 20+ years.

The fake news constantly brainwashes Americans to the contrary though, so I'm constantly having to re-educate posters here, & some just cannot be, or will not be, de-programmed, so fake news wins.

If we ceased all corp taxes today, prices would start to come down by ~18%...which is the estimated amount of embedded corp taxes. That could help to reverse this inflation, but you'll never hear that solutions uttered by the top 1%, & their fake news stooges.
Tariffs are also passed on to consumers.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:24 PM

2,335 posts, read 821,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
The study lists two groups in the "$100,000 paycheck to paycheck" group... people who are comfortably paying their bills, and those who are struggling (which amounts to about 11% of the $100,000 group). All of them also have about $11,000-$12,000 in savings, and nearly all would be able to pay for an emergency with cash. The determination of "paycheck to paycheck" is up to the respondent, as they are self-reporting. I think their idea of paycheck to paycheck living is a bit different than mine.
Yep, similar to the article I posted in post #152 which the OP claimed was different than now. More hogwash by the new zealots, which I put in the same category as the vaccine people. The OP's article states nothing new as much as he wants to claim it does.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:44 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,842,107 times
Anyone else find it puzzling how big corporations are enjoying record profits? Any story on inflation that doesn't mention this is not telling you the full truth.

Container shipping company profits during the first 9 months of 2021 = $80 billion. All of 2010-2020 was $38 billion.

"Man, those supply-chain problems and inflation is just killing us"

The company that makes Jeep and Ram trucks sold 3% more makes vehicles, profits up more than 100% because they raised the price of cars.

Colgate-Palmolive: "we are forced to raise prices" while they increased stock buy-backs for investors and execs by 50% last year to over $1 billion, revenue at record highs and their CEO makes $14.4 million per year.

Kroger profits are at record highs. it's stock is up 36%. CEO got 45% raise to $22 million. Many of Krogers workers can't pay their bills and are on food stamps.

I can go on and on. Look at any nearly big corporation and it's the same story.

Why are groceries so expensive? Corporate greed, that's why.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:22 PM

No shortage of people buy and finance stupid stuff.

Just because one can make the monthly payment, does not mean one can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies