Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 06:42 PM

2,335 posts, read 814,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Inflation. Their expenses have increased. It's affecting everyone, even those who earn more than $100,000.
Uh huh and how much is inflation?

C'mon that should be an easy question. Why are you stalling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 06:55 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Uh huh and how much is inflation?

C'mon that should be an easy question. Why are you stalling?
7.9%, on average, but I listed these increases earlier:

Quote:
According to the BLS:

Used car prices are up 41% year over year
Gasoline is up 38% (probably more now)
Energy prices are up 26%

I've already posted rent is up 21%. And home prices are up 18.8%. Year over year.

Those and other rapid price increases are what has fueled the jump from less than 10% in 2017 to 48% now.

Some people aren't recognizing what's happening right before their eyes.
There are other reasons one's expenses might increase, too. Having a child is a major one.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:03 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,415,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
We all get what they voted for. Tried to tell them but their hatred of Trump blinded them.

It has nothing to do with hatred for Trump. People never save for that rainy day. They still wont. Its way easier to just complain. Run your house like a business. More coming in then going out.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
7.9%, on average, but I listed these increases earlier:
We'll go with 7.9% which encompasses the general increases across the board. Most of the rest of your list is subjective. It's not like anyone has to buy a car, rent didn't increase everywhere and in many of the high COL areas where these people live, it actually decreased (I pointed that out earlier in this thread). People also don't have to have a house right now. Gas is going to depend on the type of car one owns and the commute (many WFH now so there is no commute cost for gas and someone driving a gas saving car isn't going to notice some huge increase).

Now let's also look at the nominal wage increases which amount to 4.5% (a record high). So now we're down to a whopping 3.4% in difference. That $100k after taxes looks like $70k. I'm not buying for a second that's all these people had prior to this last year in regards to discretionary income. Also 3.4% isn't going to crush most families and put them in a position like this. And it would be quite easy to massage a budget to compensate for that. And a 4.5% increase in a $100k salary means a lot more than someone at a lower income level. It's not like that person consumes more than someone at a lower income, but receiving $4500 more a year means something.

You really should have read your report instead of continue to defend this nonsense.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
We'll go with 7.9% which encompasses the general increases across the board. Most of the rest of your list is subjective.
Oh, please. Gasoline and energy price increases are not subjective. EVERYTHING is impacted by those cost increases, consequently causing the prices to increase on everything else from the cost of one's household utilities to the price of food and clothing which are trucked to the stores or delivered to one's home.

Quote:
It's not like anyone has to buy a car, rent didn't increase everywhere and in many of the high COL areas where these people live, it actually decreased (I pointed that out earlier in this thread). Gas is going to depend on the type of car one owns and the commute (many WFH now so there is no commute cost for gas and someone driving a gas saving car isn't going to notice some huge increase).

Now let's also look at the nominal wage increases which amount to 4.5% (a record high). So now we're down to a whopping 3.4% in difference. That $100k after taxes looks like $70k. I'm not buying for a second that's all these people had prior to this last year in regards to discretionary income. Also 3.4% isn't going to crush most families and put them in a position like this. And it would be quite easy to massage a budget to compensate for that.
No one cares what you "believe." What matters is what people are experiencing and reporting.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, please. Gasoline and energy price increases are not subjective. EVERYTHING is impacted by those cost increases, consequently causing the prices to increase on everything else from the cost of one's household utilities to the price of food and clothing which are trucked to the stores or delivered to one's home.

No one cares what you "believe." What matters is what people are experiencing and reporting.
More ignoring. Yes, gas prices are subjective and I explained why. More people WFH so now they have no cost (so that's a reduction for them). Someone driving a hybrid like myself and getting 45 miles to the gallon at 200 miles a week is spending less than $5 extra a week. Someone in a less fuel efficient car would spend maybe $10. That's subjective. Again, do people consume more that make $100,000 versus someone that makes $50,000....No. That chicken breast that the $50,000 family buys is no different than the one the $100,000 family buys (and that goes for all grocery products). But the $50,000 family only got a raise of $2,250 didn't they? Do people buy a whole new wardrobe every year? And what does the person that earns $50,000 buy in clothing that is all that different from the family that earns $100,000? Again, the consumption is not going to be much different between the income levels but one received more money as far as a wage increase. I'm sorry this is so hard for you to understand. Inflation is not going to hit a family earning $100,000 the same way it impacts the family of a lower income level and that should be more than apparent.

And I think most people are laughing at this article and the depiction of what constitutes living paycheck to paycheck (and many posters in this thread have mirrored that thought).

Old 03-10-2022, 07:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 4,630,527 times
Not surprising. I heard years ago those making between 70K-130K frequently had the most debt and in the most dangerous of financial disaster. They make alot but it's not enough for what they think they can really afford. They're basically living life in a higher income tax bracket. Debt/credit makes many things available that they one should really think twice about getting.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:02 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
Bidenflation?

So Joe Biden is causing all the inflation occurring all over the world right now? Cause a lot of countries are getting hammered by inflation, and it would just make me mad as heck if Joe Biden, who has dementia, was able to cause a terrible bout of worldwide inflation. I mean, how did he do that if he has Alzheimer’s? He is tremendously effective at carrying out evil schemes (except for the ones that are just incompetent) despite his dementia. My uncle could just sit in a chair for four years until heart failure finally killed him. Or my friend’s aunt, who went into another patient’s room one night and stabbed him repeatedly with a fork she had snatched from the dining hall. I think Biden must have the second type of Alzheimer’s, because he is doing really active evil things that have tremendous reach across borders.

It’s really unlikely that the billionaires who own our economy and politicians are somehow behind this because they are all raising prices despite the fact that they are making more money than ever. Yeah…much more likely it’s the lousy liberals and their really active dementia president.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
I just want to point out that your original post above literally says "barely keep their heads above water." That would infer that they are part of the "Live paycheck to paycheck with difficulty" group, and not the "Live paycheck to paycheck but comfortable..." group, especially if they have $12,000 in savings.

So yeah, the group you are talking about is the 11% group.
Just stop. dicipher already posted the image that proved you both wrong. Figure 4 is very clear. Of those earning more than $100,000:

48.3% are living paycheck to paycheck.
51.7% are not.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:58 PM

10,721 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
We’ve already explained this. If you are truly living paycheck to paycheck, that means you are spending all of your money between paychecks, with no money for emergencies and no savings account. If you can comfortably pay your bills, and you can save enough money to build up a $12,000 savings, you likely aren’t living paycheck to paycheck. The “living comfortably” group also stated that they would be able to pay for a $400 emergency with cash. That is not living paycheck to paycheck. But then again, you know this already. Because we’ve explained this already. Multiple times.
Direct Quote from the linked study:

Quote:
Forty-eight percent of consumers earning more than $100,000 per year were living paycheck to paycheck in January 2022, representing a six percentage point increase from December 2021.
The number of consumers living paycheck to paycheck has increased steadily
The only way that you can claim that InformedConsent is wrong is to summarily dismiss what the study actually says, and also use your own definition of what “paycheck to paycheck” actually means (as you did in the first quote above). But guess what? The study is using their definition, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies