Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2022, 09:06 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,716,802 times

Advertisements

Well before I get to upset I have to look at these peoples bills. Is there house payment a large % of their income? Car payments? private school? Live within your means. It matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 09:50 PM

32,147 posts, read 15,166,229 times
Many people have lived paycheck to paycheck, including myself. This is nothing new. Some always will. But you have to ask where these people who make $100,000 live. If they live in New York, then of course you live paycheck to paycheck with multiple roommates because that salary can't afford anything there. If people in Mississippi, making this kind of money are now living paycheck to paycheck then that's a problem. Blaming it on any president is nonsense. Haven't you noticed over the years how all companies have been raising their prices. Our cable bill keeps increasing. Plumbers and electricians have increased their prices. We have a termite service which keeps increasing their fee. The list goes on and on. The problem is our wages aren't increasing enough to keep up.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:05 PM

10,827 posts, read 5,755,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
I’m actually using InformedConsent’s definition, which I quoted above.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about here. I was talking about your definition, that I quoted.

But whether it’s yours or his is irrelevant. The definition that matters is that which was used in the study. And according to their definition, 48% were living paycheck to paycheck. You know, what InformedConsent has claimed all along.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 03-10-2022 at 11:27 PM..

Old 03-10-2022, 11:10 PM

1,655 posts, read 781,982 times
This was January — probably well over 50% by now. Wonder what the percentage would be for people making more common wages — like below 75k? 75%+?

Old 03-11-2022, 01:10 AM

2,335 posts, read 819,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
How many can "barely keep their heads above water"?

(It's 11%)
Lol. No sense in continuing Rob. This dance will go on another 50 pages. No need to use any critical thinking skills and interpret anything. It will be ignored as will comments like the one above. The information is out there for anyone that wants to use their own analytical skills (and actually read the linked report which the OP clearly did not).

Old 03-11-2022, 01:15 AM

2,284 posts, read 641,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many people have lived paycheck to paycheck, including myself. This is nothing new. Some always will. But you have to ask where these people who make $100,000 live. If they live in New York, then of course you live paycheck to paycheck with multiple roommates because that salary can't afford anything there. If people in Mississippi, making this kind of money are now living paycheck to paycheck then that's a problem. Blaming it on any president is nonsense. Haven't you noticed over the years how all companies have been raising their prices. Our cable bill keeps increasing. Plumbers and electricians have increased their prices. We have a termite service which keeps increasing their fee. The list goes on and on. The problem is our wages aren't increasing enough to keep up.
It's quite easy even if they live in a less expensive area. For example, they may have maxed out on their mortgage. Prices of real estate maybe higher in NYC than no-where Oklahoma, but if you're approved for a 400,000 loan you can easily find a home in Oklahoma for that.

Then they maybe be maxed out on their car loan etc. And hence dependent on their paycheck to pay these loans.

I remember when the free food drives opened in Miami Beach during the pandemic. As I was cycling, I saw a long line of newish cars, thinking this was a testing center, as I rolled by I saw it was a food giveaway.

These people had money to buy new cars but not food?

Old 03-11-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

The only way that you can claim that InformedConsent is wrong is to summarily dismiss what the study actually says, and also use your own definition of what “paycheck to paycheck” actually means (as you did in the first quote above).
Yeah, glad to see you realize some of us are more concerned with actually reading the definition of what is being "self reported", using some critical thinking skills, and realizing people with savings, and claiming to be comfortable financially doesn't match what we consider paycheck to paycheck (or as claimed by the OP just barely keeping their heads above water), and some are only interested in parroting.. Had you taken your time to read the thread, you might have realized that as it's been stated by a myriad of posters and just been ignored.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:32 AM

10,827 posts, read 5,755,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Yeah, glad to see you realize some of us are more concerned with actually reading the definition of what is being "self reported", using some critical thinking skills, and realizing people with savings, and claiming to be comfortable financially doesn't match what we consider paycheck to paycheck (or as claimed by the OP just barely keeping their heads above water), and some are only interested in parroting.. Had you taken your time to read the thread, you might have realized that as it's been stated by a myriad of posters and just been ignored.
You don’t get to make up your own definition of “paycheck to paycheck” and then use that to try and discredit the OP’s argument. That’s intellectually dishonest in the extreme.

If you want to make up your own definition, do your own study.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:35 AM

2,284 posts, read 641,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Living paycheck to paycheck means if they don't get their paycheck they cannot pay their expenses.

If someone's income is higher, and they're paycheck to paycheck, their standard of living maybe 'good' as long as they get the paycheck. But obviously, whatever savings they have is not sufficient to pay their next round of bills. If it was, they're not paycheck to paycheck.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Living paycheck to paycheck means if they don't get their paycheck they cannot pay their expenses.

If someone's income is higher, and they're paycheck to paycheck, their standard of living maybe 'good' as long as they get the paycheck. But obviously, whatever savings they have is not sufficient to pay their next round of bills. If it was, they're not paycheck to paycheck.

Yep, and most people clearly feel like having a 5 figure savings will cover that and therefore the person is "comfortable" (as described in the report). The people that don't fall into that description are the 11%. And if 5 figures in savings won't cover said expenses, then the implication that inflation is the culprit falls flat on its face because that person has serious financial issues even with no inflation.

Last edited by dicipher; 03-11-2022 at 02:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies