Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 07:46 AM

1,655 posts, read 781,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
I find it amusing that so many of you think $100,000 is some insane amount and should be easy to live off of. Granted if you don't want to do anything, have no life, your kids have no lives, you can do it comfortably.

If you take a family of four though and after taxes, medical insurance, 401K the net is not the largest amount. Now throw in housing costs, groceries, car payments, car insurance, utilities, activities for the kids................how much do you really think you have left?

Assume you make $100,000 on 26 pay period schedule in a high tax state. Net you'll bring home about $2,600 every pay period. Housing eats up probably $2,000 of that, groceries the remainder. That leaves you with another $2,600 check. Now figure in car payments, utilities, car insurance, kids activities, and maybe you go out twice a month to eat that pretty much eats up the rest of your money.
I live 30 minutes outside Charlotte…not long ago $100k/year was pretty much rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 07:48 AM

17,402 posts, read 12,365,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Wrong statistic to be evaluating Biden. Look at the LFPR:

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employmen...ation-rate.htm
And notably it hit a low of 60% under Trump and has been increasing under Biden... So what other good news you got?

Old 03-04-2022, 07:49 AM

7,251 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan2323 View Post
Assume you make $100,000 on 26 pay period schedule in a high tax state. Net you'll bring home about $2,600 every pay period. Housing eats up probably $2,000 of that, groceries the remainder. That leaves you with another $2,600 check. Now figure in car payments, utilities, car insurance, kids activities, and maybe you go out twice a month to eat that pretty much eats up the rest of your money.
Yeh -- I love the people blaming people for not budgeting well.

That is no longer the case. At least 40% of my pay is taken by taxes. At least 40% of my pay is taken by housing costs (and even though I don't rent I can't control the INSANE property tax hikes). And so all I have to live on is 20% of my pay...

And when every single expense suddenly goes up 40%?

You are in trouble.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:52 AM

4,949 posts, read 2,091,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
People are living above their means.
Not here in the metro Seattle area.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:52 AM

89,389 posts, read 45,111,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
And notably it hit a low of 60% under Trump and has been increasing under Biden... So what other good news you got?
Pandemic. Now, why is Biden's rate so low, especially after his and the Dems' HUGE amount of "recovery" spending?

Old 03-04-2022, 07:55 AM

17,402 posts, read 12,365,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Pandemic. Now, why is Biden's rate so low, especially after his and the Dems' HUGE amount of "recovery" spending?
Pandemic.

But also it's increasing at a good clip.
US added 678,000 jobs in February in sign of economic health

Old 03-04-2022, 07:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,881,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Car payments, house payments, credit card debts, private schools tuition, property taxes, higher income tax brackets, medical insurance, etc.

Told you all that if you are middle income earners, the Democrats were gunning for your wallets but you suburban folks thought you were immune to their policies and thought it was more important to virtue signal your liberalism to your friends and neighbors.

You get what you voted for.
Read a thread in the Economic forum yesterday from a guy whose wife got a promotion and a $10,000 / year raise. His point was lifestyle creep. Nothing more or less.

Wife now has to drive a 50 mile round trip to work 3 days a week instead of working from home. They also hired a housekeeper. Not much left from the net $10,000 raise.

Lifestyle Creep is very real.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:05 AM

89,389 posts, read 45,111,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Pandemic.

But also it's increasing at a good clip.
US added 678,000 jobs in February in sign of economic health
How is it "economic health" when a higher percentage of people than ever at ALL income levels are living paycheck to paycheck? That's economic stagnation. Plus with Biden's high inflation rate, we have...

Old 03-04-2022, 08:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,881,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
People don't know how to budget. They don't want to delay gratification. I belonged to a new home building group and could not get over the amount of money young people (late 20s/early 30s) were spending on (to me) unnecessary upgrades on the houses they are having built, and then complaining about how much it costs to build a home. If either spouse were to lose their job, it would devastate them financially. I also belong to a Toyota group (well a couple of them) and one person just posted that she purchased and then traded in 4 brand new vehicles in a year, because she didn't like the first 3 she purchased. Many people there post that their car payment is $900/month. For a Toyota Highlander. That's why people earning $100K are living paycheck to paycheck.
A $900/ mo car payment blows me away.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:17 AM

1,952 posts, read 836,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The methodologies of this poll or survey are unknown beyond it included 2,633 consumers. ( Maybe it’s in the download that requires registration)

A huge percentage of US people have always lived beyond their means and this includes many earning $100,000 +.

I know many that make right under 100k a year that complain about not having enough money and they they need to be paid more. They work in my office.

I take a good look at them and see the following....

Many of them have cars that are nearly new or within a year of new. Many of these cars are premium cars or trucks (Lexus, Infinti, King Ranch F150s...etc). Many have the latest I-phone and I pad. Many eat out for lunch every day. Many wear designer clothes and expensive shoes. Many of them have expensive watches (TAG Heurers, Omegas, etc.). Many live in newer houses that are way bigger than mine. Many vacation in places like Hawaii and go skiing at Christmas time. Many have kids that have expensive activities like golf or horseback riding and the teenager drive nice newer cars.

So are these people REALLY on the skids? Do they REALLY need to be paid more?

Of course not! They need to re-arrange their spending! They make plenty of money.

So yeah...I am not really buying the results of that survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies