Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 11:14 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,564,166 times

Advertisements

Same reason people keep building big houses on the coast along hurricane alley. No foresight. Hell, no hindsight either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 AM

4,262 posts, read 2,488,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Because the American dream is NOT to live in cramped urban apartments with elephants thumping above you. We want to have a place of our own. We want to live in places where people smile at you, where we can walk without looking over our shoulder at night.

We want our own car, too, which allows us to go where we want when we want. If the gas is expensive, we'll skip some trips if needed. This is freedom, vs. the leftist urban utopia.
When oil goes to $7 a gallon ( and it will), suburbia will become uninhabitable.

Last edited by Taggerung; 03-04-2022 at 11:26 AM..

Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 AM

22,023 posts, read 9,603,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Personally I have never liked cities and given the recent spike in crime that the Democrats that run them seem to be in favor of (they protect the criminals) I don't even want to visit a city let alone live in one.

The Democrats have screwed up the cities and the Biden bunch is busy screwing up the cost of oil.

I don't know what is worse, that they are not smart enough to see what they are doing to us OR they are doing it intentionally to further their agenda
I promise you it's 100% intentional.

Guess who makes most of the solar panels and windmills? Yep. China. Guess whose son flew to China a bunch of times while his dad was VP? It's not that hard to connect the dots.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:18 AM

8,030 posts, read 3,544,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Suburbia is a bizarre, abberant, and terminally unsustainable living arrangement with no future. This has nothing to do with "leftism."

It's interesting that the only alternative to suburbia you see is 'serfdom.'
See this is where you lose me. I don't know anyone who lives in the suburbs or a rural area that wants to deny someone the right to live in an apartment if they so choose. There are plenty of people who prefer urban environments who seem as if they would jump at the chance to rob others of the opportunity to live in a suburban or rural setting though.

Why should someone who likes living in the suburbs need an alternative? They should live in the suburbs, you should live in the city, and I should keep living out in the sticks.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:28 AM

21,931 posts, read 25,286,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Most people have zero desire to live on top of one another in small apartments.
This, just suppy and demand.

Where I live it's very walkable. I can walk downtown which has most things I'd need. It's only been the last maybe 5-10 years that prices here have come up to what they are out in the sprawl area. Basically maybe 10% of the housing here is walkable while 90% is sprawl. Sprawl up until recently was more expensive. For a developer trying to build something other than sprawl was really a stupid decision. It's much simpler to just get some cowpastures and grow houses on it than try and cater to the niche market that wants to walk to trendy restaurants and build a little mainstreet commercial area for them surrounded by denser housing. That's just hard to pull off. If you're a hipster avocado toast place you proably don't want to be out in what was a cowpasture five years ago as there's a dearth of hipsters living in former cowpastures. Even if there's a cute little mainstreet with some townhouses plopped around it, it just tends to not feel organic enough to attract hipsters who prefer to reside in the hip established neighborhoods. Since there's at best equal money to even attempting it versus just growing some subrban sprawl. That it's out in a cowpasture doesn't matter as it's just 5 minutes to drive to a stripmall which is preferable to driving up and down the cut little mainstreet looking for parking.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:32 AM

3,663 posts, read 1,620,887 times
Personal transportation gives people choice of where to live. They don't care what powers their car, they just want a car, so they can go where they want to go and live where they want to live.

When a new couple goes looking for their first place, they go shopping and compare. In the city a lot is near by. But there's also more noise, pollution, people, and crime. Then they look at a house in the suburbs. It's small but nice and comfy. Maybe a small back yard. Very quiet neighborhood. Good school. Stores and restaurants nearby.

This is why about 52% now live in the suburbs and about 27% in the city, and 21% rural.

Every place depends on vehicles to sustain itself. Why are there so many taxi's in NYC? Why do farms use tractors?

So even if all vehicles were electric and powered by solar, 50% will still want to live in suburbia, away from the city. Make the city a nice place to live and people will want to live there.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:35 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,206,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Suburbia is a bizarre, abberant, and terminally unsustainable living arrangement with no future. This has nothing to do with "leftism."

It's interesting that the only alternative to suburbia you see is 'serfdom.'
Renting is serfdom.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:40 AM

4,262 posts, read 2,488,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Renting is serfdom.
Do you even know what serfdom is? It appears that you do not.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:44 AM

17,024 posts, read 12,636,765 times
Living in the city is great for singles and DINKS. Sucks horribly once you have kids.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:50 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,070,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
The existence of rap music makes apartment living untenable for me. There's always that one guy in every building, unless you're in a really bad neighborhood then there are usually a bunch of those guys.

So....Rap Music is the type you won't tolerate at loud levels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies