Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 11:53 AM

7,944 posts, read 3,485,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
So....Rap Music is the type you won't tolerate at loud levels?
Any music can be annoying if it's loud enough(except maybe Slayer) but rap is all bass so there's definitely a lower threshold. Plus it sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 11:54 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Do you even know what serfdom is? It appears that you do not.
Serfdom is spending your life making money for other people, in exchange for survival. In other words: renting.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:56 AM

19,242 posts, read 17,117,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
When oil goes to $7 a gallon ( and it will), suburbia will become uninhabitable.
I think you mean gas will be 7$....And all the cities will be charging $20 to ride the city bus 3 blocks, you keep forgetting that many suburbs are self contained and don't always need the city for jobs, shopping or the exorbitant taxes. But the cities need the suburbs because they can not house everyone and the taxes they generate provide much of the income the city makes in goods and services.

Not everyone want to live in a 400sqft box with a view of the alley.....

Old 03-04-2022, 11:58 AM

46,979 posts, read 26,033,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Renting is serfdom.
“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’"

Old 03-04-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Serfdom is spending your life making money for other people, in exchange for survival. In other words: renting.
No, that's a job.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 2,243,675 times
Suburban sprawl is seen as a boon to the US economy. Every new town needs everything from construction, healthcare svc, hospitality, and professional businesses.

In essence, much of the American economy is based on constant, never-ending expansion as one of the main domestic drivers for our economy. You stop that expansion, you stall the economy.

I am not saying there is no alternative, I don't know the answer to the question of alternatives honestly.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:01 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,177,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’"
Hey if you want to rent your whole life, good for you. But it’s not for me.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 747,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
See this is where you lose me. I don't know anyone who lives in the suburbs or a rural area that wants to deny someone the right to live in an apartment if they so choose. There are plenty of people who prefer urban environments who seem as if they would jump at the chance to rob others of the opportunity to live in a suburban or rural setting though.

Why should someone who likes living in the suburbs need an alternative? They should live in the suburbs, you should live in the city, and I should keep living out in the sticks.
I could not agree with you more. One reason that many people left cities was because of habitability. I've lived in Seattle, Boston, New Orleans, Charleston, San Diego and Memphis. The only one of those cities where mass transit was dependable, practical and safe was Boston. Most cities run by Democrats have major street crimes issues that don't exactly make the idea of living in the city very appealing to most people. Just ask people in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago and New York about that. I actually like city life and being able to walk to restaurants, bars, parks, stores, museums, etc. What I don't like is being out with my girlfriend and being hassled by obnoxious homeless people, lunatics that should be institutionalized, drug addicts, and street criminals. I spent two decades on the job dealing with those people daily. I chose not to have those lost souls in my life now, unless of course they want help. Which of course most of them don't.

Even with more readily available mass transit many European cities have their share of traffic gridlock. These include London, Manchester, Paris, Marseilles, Rome, Naples, Brussels, Athens, Cologne and Warsaw. Gasoline prices in Europe are exceeding $6 USD a gallon but Europeans are still driving their cars. Gas prices in the U.S. will continue to rise and Americans will make the necessary adjustments in their driving habits.

I've read this entire thread and not once has the OP offered any practical recommendations for improving sustainability. Perhaps Bulgaria would suit the OP better than Virginia? I currently live on the outskirts on a large city in a semi rural area. I have owls, hawks and assorted wild birds that fly over and through my yard and an abundance of other wildlife around me. This morning I awoke to the sound of tree frogs chirping which is a sure sign that Spring is around the corner. I wouldn't give this up to move back to an apartment or condo in the city for anything. Not now, not ever.

Inside nearly every liberal there's a Stalinist waiting to tell the rest of us what we should be doing.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:09 PM

2,367 posts, read 911,115 times
I think a lot of the housing trends is motivated by the desire to get away from crime.

When people look for a house to raise a family they look for safety and good schools. And the metropolitan areas keep attracting new riff raff and spreading out. So for decades parents have been willing to spend hours each day commuting just to get away from bad elements, so their kids can be safe.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hey if you want to rent your whole life, good for you. But it’s not for me.
I don't, and I haven't. But words have meanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies