Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 05:57 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,150,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Is this the end of “The End of History” ?

"The 2020s started off with a global pandemic and now a major war, two black swan events. Could this be the official end to “The End of History,” a political concept that is most often associated with the book that Francis Fukuyama wrote after the end of the Cold War? Fukuyama argued that not only was liberal democracy ascendent, having achieved total hegemony, but that its success was because it was the perfect system that could stand the test of time and triumph over historical cycles. There was a moment in the 90s where this seemed to be the case and politics felt like a side note."

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/i...of-history?s=r

"Collapse theory is the opposite of the End of History but is also naïve. Accelerationism is not inherently bad, as long as it is a passive accelerationism. For instance just sitting back and watching political leaders screw up the world. America has been in the 21st century version of a civil war for the past 5 years, and now could be the beginning of a 21st century version of a world war. The old tensions but with no climaxes or resolution, but who knows. Perhaps Houellebecq was right and we are in for “the same but ****ter,” a decade of stagnation or a managed decline, or will we see the world fall via the simulation?"

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/i...of-history?s=r
The article starts out in a promising direction but plunges into incoherence. I think the concept of things being, as said elsewhere in the article, after the pandemic as being "the same but worse" is not inevitable. We have a downer as President, and the crises are not being competently handled. JFK handles the Cuban Missile Crisis badly. GWB handled the September 11 attacks badly. But at least the U.S. and the world have the feeling someone's in charge. Not this time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 07:02 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
The “End of History” concept has not aged well.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:34 PM

27,670 posts, read 28,766,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well, it kind of did for 32 years.

But nothing lasts forever.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:50 PM

2,344 posts, read 974,711 times
It's the beginning of the end of the current world order. This will be cemented when the USD loses WRC, an event which we see the wheels in motion already.

Old 03-24-2022, 09:54 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,718,453 times
Wait - did we revert back to 1992?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_En...d_the_Last_Man

Old 03-24-2022, 09:55 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,751,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I always point this out because for some people it literally is the end of history. These people are middle aged entering their 60's, and it starts to hit them that they're going to die and it's going to happen sooner than later. And that realization is often subconscious and they conflate it with the end of society when in fact it's them that are ending

Old 03-25-2022, 04:52 AM

4,543 posts, read 6,818,740 times
I predict that the Fed will get serious about rate increases since now they are forced to admit that inflation is real. The market will move down and continue to do so into the fall. There will be pressure to pass assistance bills but they won't pass and ultimately those people sitting at home refusing to work will get up and go to work to buy food and pay the bills. Come November people will vote for the other team just because they are mad even though deep down they know they are really just different sides of the same coin of self interests. Then when everything is at a stalemate, things will stabilize and life will slowly return back to pre March 2020 conditions. Regarding the horrible conflict in the Ukraine, I anticipate that the economics here in the US will dictate the action taken to resolve it. If gas continues to rise above $5 nationwide and food prices continue to spike the outcry will lead to a deal with Putin to put an end to his actions in the Ukraine in exchange for guaranteed economic deals with Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,751,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I always point this out because for some people it literally is the end of history. These people are middle aged entering their 60's, and it starts to hit them that they're going to die and it's going to happen sooner than later. And that realization is often subconscious and they conflate it with the end of society when in fact it's them that are ending
And not for nothing the people that are sunsetting right now are all the first wave progressives who never reached Utopia, rejected God, and are now staring at the abyss. Much of the mental insanity is coming from this

Old 03-25-2022, 05:21 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,868,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieL43 View Post
People may run out of disposable income and vacation fun money. I hope not, but at the state of things today…
It could be a sign of very bad times looming, On another forum I frequent some posters are advocating to take that big vacation now, have a lot of fun now... Because it might be a while before you can have another.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:25 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,868,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Meh.
I'm still vertical and suckin' wind.
..and so are you.

And if that changes tomorrow, well, that's a good day to die.

If death can catch me.
It's not death that I'm so afraid of but watching my family suffer in misery. Death is light as a feather, Duty is the weight of a mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies