Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 12:00 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,830,728 times

Advertisements

I just saw a segment on CNBC which advised borrowers to pay down the loan as much as possible during the pause to take advantage of the 0% interest rate and significantly reduce the payback period and cost. Unfortunately, others, like AOC, are leading people to believe its going to be forgiven so many, even those who can, are paying nothing in the hope that they won't ever have to pay it back. It's unfortunate that politicians trying to get party members be re-elected are playing with the economy and real people's money for their own political gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 12:11 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,815,046 times
Biden should be invoiced for all the student loan interest due to taxpayers that wasn't collected as a result of his endless student loan pauses and be personally held liable for every single penny.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:17 PM

19,898 posts, read 12,185,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Rubbing the fact you have a house in my face.

Personally though I'm too busy trying to pay off my credit card number one and after that I need to save for what was taken from me and is far more important than a worthless piece of paper that I never should have been pressured to take out.
Of course I am an anomaly so just like the person below you may not be including me.

Who is this referring to? Should I pay mine with dog hair? I'm sure if I wait long enough I got enough to be worth a couple thousand at least.
You're probably talking about normal people though I would assume so if you are you can ignore my comment but I never know anymore.

True it seems like it's the same as deferment. Why not actually erase the unnecessary debt entirely?

I'm a sucker for you say the word and I'll go to any school blindly, not thinking about all the subliminal things I knew about them about them about them. You're making the typical me do what I thought was the responsible thing

Yeah I would say people who don't manage to pay are often the suckers. Financially struggling is expensive.

I’m pretty sure that poster that you are so jealous of did not sit on unemployment for six years and then refuse to work more than 20 hours a week because they would have to give up government freebies for making too much money.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post58775040

Your post:

“ Okay I was unemployed for 6 years. I wasn't grateful at all. Why should I be? Even though I'm in a semi okay place now thanks to the pandemic I often wonder what my life would have been like if no one was on section 8. I didn't even apply for Section 8. My mom did. It's a joke. The sad part is I probably wouldn't be sitting here right now wondering if I ever want the pandemic to be over. Do you think someone who has their mental health rely on people dying/sick should be grateful they are in that position?
Free medical care. I don't remember the last time I went to the regular doctor. I'm not only not grateful. I've been pissed lately. They are giving me infections so I'm going to try my hardest not to go to urgent care. Oh yeah the urgent care that's nearby which ironically has great air conditioning but says I owe them money so I've stopped going to that one. I'm not going to be grateful to a group of people that make situations worse and might actually end up putting me in the hospital one day. The only thing that's been a benefit to me is my IUD but it doesn't come without issues (and maybe finding out I have allergies and physical therapy although I still can't get rid of the one condition). That's only two or three instances in my whole life where doctors have actually been a benefit. Also I had to lose one of my molars because I had to put off dental work due to not having much money. I mean it's in the back but still. Teeth don't even matter right they're just there for show?

Thankfully my mom still works (which she shouldn't be working that's what upsets me the most) or I wouldn't be able to take care of my health because the money I set aside to buy my pills over the years probably wouldn't be there. Vitamin Shoppe's always expensive and if it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have had to buy a certain bottle of pills so free insurance has costed me.

Actually that second sentence was probably inaccurate. I am grateful..I'm grateful to people who probably don't even know I exist because without hearing their melodies I don't know where I'd be or how I'd cope with the incompetence of regular people.”

Old 04-06-2022, 12:19 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Government needs to get out of the Student Loan programs. I would love to see this made part of the next administrations agenda.
This isn't the only thing the Government needs to get out of. They need to get out of the retirement savings business too among other things.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 9,600,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems to me repayment of federal student loans has been deferred for nearly 2 years, across 2 administrations.
Surely you don’t expect people to actually pay their own bills like responsible adults while Democrats are running the show.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 9,600,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Yeah I would say people who don't manage to pay are often the suckers. Financially struggling is expensive.
The entire Democratic platform depends on people struggling and blaming others.

Who do you think these people expect to bail them out? Democrats.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:46 PM

3,361 posts, read 1,252,754 times
i'd be shocked if they didn't keep kicking the can down the road
and eventually when the payments start again AOC and company will rant about how wrong it is

Old 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM

3,361 posts, read 1,252,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I just saw a segment on CNBC which advised borrowers to pay down the loan as much as possible during the pause to take advantage of the 0% interest rate and significantly reduce the payback period and cost. Unfortunately, others, like AOC, are leading people to believe its going to be forgiven so many, even those who can, are paying nothing in the hope that they won't ever have to pay it back. It's unfortunate that politicians trying to get party members be re-elected are playing with the economy and real people's money for their own political gain.
I mean if i owed this money I wouldn't pay a dime when there was a freeze because these lunatics might actually cancel it all.
Additionally if you're not paying any interest right now there is zero reason to pay anything back at all. it makes no sense.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:53 PM

4,594 posts, read 2,312,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
I mean if i owed this money I wouldn't pay a dime when there was a freeze because these lunatics might actually cancel it all.
Additionally if you're not paying any interest right now there is zero reason to pay anything back at all. it makes no sense.

Exactly. They have created quite a mess.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:54 PM

31,339 posts, read 14,369,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
This is ridiculous. There is no good reason why student loan payments should be deferred yet again. It made sense at the beginning of the pandemic, but not now. The only unemployment right now is voluntary unemployment. Jobs are going begging.

Long term the solution is to force universities to cut costs and to be much more selective with who qualifies for a loan. You’re 36 and want a degree in Religious Studies and you need to borrow $48,000 to make this a reality? Pay for it yourself as this is a horrible return on investment.
Forcing universities to cut costs? ROFL
Free market my friend..... only that will ever bring down tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies