Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 07:08 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's insane how long student loan payments have been on hold.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/biden-may...144311470.html
Of course he will. He wants to have a couple of people voting for democrats legitimately in November. They cannot have ALL of the votes be fraudulent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 07:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
(1) Rubbing the fact you have a house in my face.

(2) Personally though I'm too busy trying to pay off my credit card number one and after that I need to save for (2a) what was taken from me and is far more important than (2b) a worthless piece of paper that I never should have been (2c) pressured to take out.
Of course I am an anomaly so just like the person below you may not be including me.

Who is this referring to? Should I pay mine with dog hair? I'm sure if I wait long enough I got enough to be worth a couple thousand at least.
You're probably talking about normal people though I would assume so if you are you can ignore my comment but I never know anymore.

(3) True it seems like it's the same as deferment. Why not actually erase the unnecessary debt entirely?

(4) I'm a sucker for you say the word and I'll go to any school blindly, not thinking about all the subliminal things I knew about them about them about them. You're making the typical me do what I thought was the responsible thing

Yeah I would say people who don't manage to pay are often the suckers. Financially struggling is expensive.
1. the person is not rubbing anything in your face... the point is IF you take out a loan...you repay that loan (contract)

2. why is you CC maxed out...??
2a what was taken from you??
2b your degree is worthless?
2c You were pressured into going to college for a "worthless degree".. or you were pressured in to a loan???? who had the POWER to pressure you, are you that submissive?

3. why erase a debt that you CONTRACTED out.... does your word mean nothing... you were adult enough to sign a contract to get money, don't you think you should pay it back??

4. so you went to school blindly... you mean that primary school never taught you to do research on what your goals were and how to accomplish those goals... nearly every American can get a Pell Grant, anyone with half a brain, can apply, and then actually attend the classes, and graduate with a productive degree.

as a HUMAN, your word, is your bond. if you choose to take out a loan, be it for student, or a house, or a car, your PRIMARY JOB is to pay back that loan..and ON TIME

Old 04-06-2022, 08:03 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
A little discussed fact: Many College Students put spring break expenses, iPhones, Friday night at the bar, big screen TVs, and other frivolous things on their college loans.

1 out of 3 admit to paying for spring break hotels, clubs, and travel expenses on their student loans.

Democrats literally want us to pay for this.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:04 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Biden paying for those votes.

Old 04-06-2022, 08:14 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
This is ridiculous. There is no good reason why student loan payments should be deferred yet again. It made sense at the beginning of the pandemic, but not now. The only unemployment right now is voluntary unemployment. Jobs are going begging.

Long term the solution is to force universities to cut costs and to be much more selective with who qualifies for a loan. You’re 36 and want a degree in Religious Studies and you need to borrow $48,000 to make this a reality? Pay for it yourself as this is a horrible return on investment.
It's a political tool. The Dems hope that if they extend it, they will get the votes.

Something needs to be done about the student loan scam. Schools charge ridiculous prices for things because they know students can take out loans to pay for everything. An 18yr old would have trouble getting a $20K business loan to start their own business, but they can get FAR more than $20K in student loans without a problem.

Unless you have parents with a lot of money, student loans seems unavoidable. My parents had too much income for me to get any state financial assistance and the scholarships I got barely scratched the surface. I went to a state school, worked 20hr a week at a supermarket, and still had to rack up $50K in loans over the period of 4 years. I have colleagues who have close to $100K in debt.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:56 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Federal issued student loans are the only loans that can be paused.
Federal issued student loans go directly to the school.

Private student loans are different.
If the student wishes to do other things with their private loans, that's their business and at their peril.

Last edited by leastprime; 04-07-2022 at 12:05 AM..

Old 04-07-2022, 01:20 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Damn, lucky me. Four more months of no student loan payments… and it’s VERY likely that it gets extended again, due to the midterms. I just need Biden to stretch it out another 12 months or so, and my loans will be forgiven under PSLF. Yes, I can pay my loans back without any problem at all… but I'm not going to if I don’t have to.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:53 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Federal issued student loans are the only loans that can be paused.
Federal issued student loans go directly to the school.

Private student loans are different.
If the student wishes to do other things with their private loans, that's their business and at their peril.
Federal student loans go right to the school, but the schools will issue “refunds” to students not living on campus, etc., to cover off campus living expenses (assuming the loan amount covered that stuff). It can be a pretty chunk of change.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:52 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Federal student loans go right to the school, but the schools will issue “refunds” to students not living on campus, etc., to cover off campus living expenses (assuming the loan amount covered that stuff). It can be a pretty chunk of change.
Yeah, tuition went directly to my school, and the rest was sent directly to me.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:58 AM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I just saw a segment on CNBC which advised borrowers to pay down the loan as much as possible during the pause to take advantage of the 0% interest rate and significantly reduce the payback period and cost. Unfortunately, others, like AOC, are leading people to believe its going to be forgiven so many, even those who can, are paying nothing in the hope that they won't ever have to pay it back. It's unfortunate that politicians trying to get party members be re-elected are playing with the economy and real people's money for their own political gain.

That's what we have done. Only one more payment left, yay!

I understand the initial pause but at this point people should have to apply to request a further one. IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies