Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 01:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 739,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Why are Ukrainian refugees all women and children but "refugees" entering the US are all men in their 20s?
And Middle Easterners and Africans pouring into Europe -- whether genuine refugees or economic migrants -- have been overwhelmingly draft-age men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 01:29 PM

8,319 posts, read 3,841,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
There are reports that a lot of the "Ukrainian" refugees entering countries such as France are not even Ukrainian.

One Third of ‘Ukrainian Refugees’ Arriving in France Are Not Ukrainian

https://thenationalpulse.com/2022/03...not-ukrainian/
I would expect that the non-Ukrainian would be the most willing to just get up and move while Ukrainian nationals are tied to the country itself. I'm not surprised by these numbers. For example, an African living in Ukraine has less to leave behind as they flee the nation.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:32 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,336,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm always curious how these refugees no matter where they are from just happen to have family here in the U.S.
The people in the refugee line didn't look starving and poor.

They definitely have $$$ for plane tickets and immigration lawyers who send them detailed instructions what to say to border agents. Most likely, they have Facebook groups too.

Do you expect them to say, "I came here to milk American taxpayers. I read stories on FB about others getting all kinds of benefits."?

Old 03-20-2022, 02:34 PM

26 posts, read 14,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
People in Ukraine are not inherently starving or poor. Especially the ones with the means to flee the nation first. In fact, the ones with money are going to be the ones that are more easily able to leave. You don't have to be starving and poor to run away from bombs.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,922,698 times
Quote:

They definitely have $$$ for plane tickets and immigration lawyers who send them detailed instructions what to say to border agents. Most likely, they have Facebook groups too.

Do you expect them to say, "I came here to milk American taxpayers. I read stories on FB about others getting all kinds of benefits."?
Why do you assume the Russian/Ukrainian immigrants are going to live off welfare? What if they were working in their former country, and now that they've escaped the war, plan to work in their new country?

Do you just assume anyone who isn't like you that enters the country must be a welfare cheat?

Old 03-20-2022, 03:22 PM

7,694 posts, read 5,568,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Why do you assume the Russian/Ukrainian immigrants are going to live off welfare? What if they were working in their former country, and now that they've escaped the war, plan to work in their new country?

Do you just assume anyone who isn't like you that enters the country must be a welfare cheat?
In line with that, I’ve read a few stories about Russians who left Russia because of the war. They seem to be young, educated, not brainwashed by Putin, and definitely not unemployed in Russia.

As far as Ukraine is concerned, one comment I read about a month ago by a Canadian living in Ukraine was that the area around Kyiv was known as the Silicon Valley of Ukraine. In other words, there are/were some very talented residents living there.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:25 PM

26 posts, read 14,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
In line with that, I’ve read a few stories about Russians who left Russia because of the war. They seem to be young, educated, not brainwashed by Putin, and definitely not unemployed in Russia.

As far as Ukraine is concerned, one comment I read about a month ago by a Canadian living in Ukraine was that the area around Kyiv was known as the Silicon Valley of Ukraine. In other words, there are/were some very talented residents living there.
This true about Ukraine. Kharkov as well.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:12 PM

63,229 posts, read 29,343,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

"Anyone who doesn't look like you"? I get so sick of hearing that! Why is the race card pulled every time someone objects to having more foreigners in our country? Race and skin color isn't the issue but clashing cultures, economic migrants who are a burden, etc. are.

Americans should have first dibs on jobs in this country and we should only import migrants/refugees that we actually need. Like we don't need leaf blowers and burger flippers from south of our border. Many of the above do end up on the government dole and that's just a fact. We don't need those types.

Another thing that concerns me is that many times when refugees are allowed in under a TPS policy they either don't want to leave when they are supposed to or our government allows them to stay. What part of "temporary" doesn't one get?

Old 03-20-2022, 07:16 PM

1,711 posts, read 795,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Why are Ukrainian refugees all women and children but "refugees" entering the US are all men in their 20s?
Because they’re here to take the money you pay them and send it back to their women and children in the country they left.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:17 PM

63,229 posts, read 29,343,301 times
Quote:

My question was though, how does it just happen that so many of these refugees, asylum seekers, illegal aliens just happen to have family in the U.S.? Seems odd to me. Don't they have to prove it to be accepted? I'm sure many from south of our border have relatives here illegally already as it makes no sense for the family to have become separated between two countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies