Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2022, 02:50 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I know what the dictionary says; I was interested in whether you were using it to mean against the law or against customs/rules.

I answered you many posts ago that my children/grandchildren are not in FL schools.
It’s a bit odd to have almost 100 posts in this thread alone when you do not even have children/grandchildren who would be affected by this bill.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
It’s a bit odd to have almost 100 posts in this thread alone when you do not even have children/grandchildren who would be affected by this bill.
I find it odd that you would care where and how many times I post. Also, interesting that you didn't ask the poster 10 posts behind me why he is posting since he doesn't live here or have kids in school here. Could it be because you agree with him and not me? Just asking.

There are threads all the time about schools. Most school issues are local or state related. Are you on those threads commenting about who is posting and where they are from? Probably no one on the Yale students acting up thread has kids at Yale lol.

Putting aside the fact that I could have 2 kids moving here with 5 grandkids in the next few years, there are many issues involved with this law. Not the least that these types of laws are spreading like a contagious disease to other states.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:28 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I disagree.

There are many issues that I have strong opinions about that do not affect me directly. However, I think that every major issue does affect almost everyone at least indirectly.

For example, I think many would say that those people living in Minnesota in the 1860's who were just ordinary farmers or laborers were not directly affected by slavery, but I think that slavery did very much affect them in at least an indirect way. Should those who felt strongly about abolition have just kept quiet?

Last edited by katharsis; 03-20-2022 at 03:44 PM..

Old 03-20-2022, 03:42 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
The issue isn't about talking about sex with young children, because that is not happening in FL schools. Sex ed starts much later than that as prescribed by standards given to the schools by FL state board of ed.

The bill is about discussing/instructing about gender id or sexual orientation.

People who don't support it are not limited to one reason for that lack of support.

I'm a life long Republican. I do not support DeSantis. I also don't support ignorance, bigotry and things I think harm people or deny their civil rights/personal freedoms.

I dont support public school systems turning out ignorant/intolerant citizens that employers have to retrain to protect themselves from lawsuits.
How would you react if the exact same bill were used to stop an evangelical teacher from conditioning their students to hate the LGBT+ community?

Because not only does it stop teachers from discussing gender identity in a positive light, it also keeps teachers from discussing the issue negatively. It's really a win-win on both sides. It simply keeps the instruction of young children away from the topic - as it should be. Eight year olds don't need to have a conversation about transgederism.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
How would you react if the exact same bill were used to stop an evangelical teacher from conditioning their students to hate the LGBT+ community?

Because not only does it stop teachers from discussing gender identity in a positive light, it also keeps teachers from discussing the issue negatively. It's really a win-win on both sides. It simply keeps the instruction of young children away from the topic - as it should be. Eight year olds don't need to have a conversation about transgederism.
First, I don't think your scenario is happening. And, if it is it's a rogue teacher the school admins should take care of by doing their job.

In the event it is happening it is already illegal. Discrimination based on sex is illegal. Courts have ruled that discrimination based on gender id or sexual orientation cannot happen without discrimination based on sex.

So thanks but no thanks

Old 03-20-2022, 04:47 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
First, I don't think your scenario is happening. And, if it is it's a rogue teacher the school admins should take care of by doing their job.

In the event it is happening it is already illegal. Discrimination based on sex is illegal. Courts have ruled that discrimination based on gender id or sexual orientation cannot happen without discrimination based on sex.

So thanks but no thanks
I'm not talking discrimination. I'm talking about a teacher instructing students that transgenderism is a sin. Would you be okay with that? Because that happens all the time. It's the primary reason that the LGBT community has an issue with Christian schools.

Why do you want teachers instructing 8 year olds about transgderism? Because honestly.,the only reason I can see for being against this law is that you want kids K-3 to have in class instruction on the topic.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:57 PM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Disney has billions and billions of dollars invested in Florida. What choice do they have but make peace with DeSantis.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I'm not talking discrimination. I'm talking about a teacher instructing students that transgenderism is a sin. Would you be okay with that? Because that happens all the time. It's the primary reason that the LGBT community has an issue with Christian schools.

Why do you want teachers instructing 8 year olds about transgderism? Because honestly.,the only reason I can see for being against this law is that you want kids K-3 to have in class instruction on the topic.
Sorry, I thought you meant a public school who happens to have a teacher who is an Evangelical Christian. Not unlikely in FL as Evangelical churches are around every corner.

This bill does not apply to private or Christian schools. Fl Dept of Ed has no jurisdiction over them except with issues regarding compulsory attendance, water quality at the school, food inspection issues, vaccinations, etc.

https://www.fldoe.org/schools/school...debd9840e38c8c

So while I might sympathize with LGBTQ issues related to private schools, I don't think they have a legal leg to stand on.

K-3 class instruction to include matters on sexuality such as specific sex acts is not happening in Fl. I am not opposed to and would probably be in favor of instruction that included themes like different ways to be a boy, different ways to be a girl and the fact that there are some people who dont identify as either a boy or girl. Ditto general info that some families include a mom/dad, some just a mom or dad, some two daddies or two mommies, etc.

I do not want teachers speech chilled or censored. So if Suzy student announces she has two mommies and Johnny student asks why or where he can get another mommy teacher is not free to answer in a simple age appropriate manner. Ditto if teach is pregnant and Suzy asks how will you get the baby out. Do you want a bunch of 7 years olds yelling out god knows whatever or do you want teach saying something like when the baby is ready I'll go to the hospital and the doctor will help the baby out. Alternatively teach should just say we cant talk about that, shrug her shoulders and kids are left confused and not trusting they can get info from teach? Seems silly.

All of that aside, I have other reasons because I dont really think any of these things is what the bill is all about. This is part of a highly orchestrated Republican election strategy designed to yank parents fear chains and get them to vote R as well as to support other R stuff I dont agree with.

Old 03-20-2022, 08:16 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Disney has billions and billions of dollars invested in Florida. What choice do they have but make peace with DeSantis.
Write a check to a candidate that doesn't stand on people's necks in terms of human rights?

Old 03-20-2022, 08:22 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I wish you'd take 5 minutes to read that article I linked above. The "developing breasts" precedes the "OMG I'm gonna die I'm bleeding from my peepee!" by years, not weeks.
I just read it. So it seems that 28% of black girls and 13% of whites begin their period at the age of 11. That is in-line with the 6th grade. Development can start as early as 8 like some poster mentioned is extremely rare. These LGBT activists are crying foul because it slammed the door on their grooming agenda. Will they ever realize there is a difference between tolerance and acceptance? To force and condone this kind of open discussion in elementary school children may set the gay community back years. Adults can handle this, but when it’s forced upon their kids it’s a whole different level and you will see a backlash.

I remember when I was in the 3rd grade having a puppy dog crush on a girl in my class but my thoughts weren’t trying to get into her pants. It wasn’t of a sexual nature. As with most girls up to that age, boys are still considered eewww lol.

So to have a class discussion about sexual orientation or gender is still above their comprehension at that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.