Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 06:53 PM

2,612 posts, read 930,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Does this not make it mandatory?
Are you serious? No, it doesnt make it mandatory. Its not even mandatory to go to war if a NATO country is attacked. Everything is subject to a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 06:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Does this not make it mandatory?
It’s my understanding there needs to be a unanimous vote in NATO to take action.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:57 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Yup, Someone somewhere really is pushing for wwIII. Just can’t figure out why.
Nobody seems to want to or be able to answer the EXTREMELY important question. Here it is one more time:

Let's say we set up a no fly zone. We enforce it. A Russian aircraft is shot down. Again, what do you think Russia is going to do with that? I'll tell you: declare war. There is your world war III. Anyone pushing for a no fly zone is pushing for WWIII.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
NATO to Estonia: you are no longer a NATO Country. Problem solve.

all kidding aside, does Estonia break the ranks? I believe the USA will not want a no-fly zone

Reportedly, the Estonia Air Force has only unarmed planes.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:09 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,936,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A "no fly zone" is a declaration of war. In this case, WWIII.
Anyone can declare a no-fly zone. The declaration of war is when they shoot down someone else's planes to enforce it.

But I'm sick of this "WWIII" crap. A world war is, by definition, a war in which a large part of the world is engaged. A few skirmishes between NATO and Russian fighter planes over Ukraine would not be a world war.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Nobody seems to want to or be able to answer the EXTREMELY important question. Here it is one more time:

Let's say we set up a no fly zone. We enforce it. A Russian aircraft is shot down. Again, what do you think Russia is going to do with that? I'll tell you: declare war. There is your world war III. Anyone pushing for a no fly zone is pushing for WWIII.
"Again, what do you think Russia is going to do with that? I'll tell you: declare war."

And then what? They can declare war all they want. That doesn't make it WWIII.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:13 PM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Anyone can declare a no-fly zone. The declaration of war is when they shoot down someone else's planes to enforce it.

But I'm sick of this "WWIII" crap. A world war is, by definition, a war in which a large part of the world is engaged. A few skirmishes between NATO and Russian fighter planes over Ukraine would not be a world war.
We had a "skirmish" with the Japanese air force some years ago in Hawaii. We had a few planes knocked out, a few ships sunk. But we had many, many more ships and planes. But what happened anyway? What was the result of that skirmish?

And another example: WWI was started over something very much less serious. In fact, trivial by comparison.

Quote:
"Again, what do you think Russia is going to do with that? I'll tell you: declare war."

And then what? They can declare war all they want. That doesn't make it WWIII.
The declaration wouldn't make it WWIII. The ICBMs going in two directions would.

You can trivialize this all you want. The truth is that right now, it isn't a serious situation for us. But we could MAKE it a serious situation by doing stupid things. And considering what we have sitting in the White House peeing himself, Russia has never had a greener light.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:21 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
[quote=AADAD;63081622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

They called for a no fly zone over Ukraine.

So?

Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
We had a "skirmish" with the Japanese air force some years ago in Hawaii. We had a few planes knocked out, a few ships sunk. But we had many, many more ships and planes. But what happened anyway? What was the result of that skirmish?

And another example: WWI was started over something very much less serious. In fact, trivial by comparison.

The declaration wouldn't make it WWIII. The ICBMs going in two directions would.

You can trivialize this all you want. The truth is that right now, it isn't a serious situation for us. But we could MAKE it a serious situation by doing stupid things. And considering what we have sitting in the White House peeing himself, Russia has never had a greener light.
I'm not trying to trivialize it. I don't want war any more than the next guy.

But at Pearl Harbor, the Japanese attacked us on American soil. I'm not talking about bombing Moscow or invading Russia, but possibly stopping Russian jets from flying over Ukraine, where they have no right to be in the first place.

Launching ICBMs would be suicide. Do you think Putin would commit suicide over Ukraine? More likely he'd skulk back to Russia.

BTW, I know what you think of Biden, but you seem to be saying he is doing a great job on Ukraine, because he hasn't done stupid things to make it a serious situation.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:26 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:

Actually a world war is when most of the principal countries of the world are involved. If NATO gets involved and China helps Russia that is a world war. At least 32 countries involved. Most of the major ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies