Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 06:40 PM

17,594 posts, read 13,372,722 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxnews.com/us/senate-pa...endment-rights
Quote:
The Senate passed an amendment introduced by Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., that protects veterans' Second Amendment rights if the Department of Veterans Affairs steps in to manage their financial benefits.

The Senate voted 53 to 45 Wednesday in approval of the amendment.

"Veterans who sacrificed to defend our Constitution shouldn’t see their own rights rest on the judgment of unelected bureaucrats—but right now, they do," Kennedy told Fox News Digital on Wednesday.
I never understand the illogic of taking rights away because of financial management

Now, if psychiatric or felony, that's a different story.

I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, but I believe in Red Flag Laws for medical, legal or abuse, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 06:41 PM

17,648 posts, read 6,923,260 times
As a veteran myself, I approve. Thank you, Senate Republicans.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:44 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I am a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment, but I believe in Red Flag Laws for medical, legal or abuse, etc
Chalk up another confused U.S. subject who believes we should give government the authority to decide who can have a gun and who can't.

(sigh)

Old 10-26-2023, 06:49 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
"Veterans who sacrificed to defend our Constitution shouldn’t see their own rights rest on the judgment of unelected bureaucrats—but right now, they do," Kennedy told Fox News Digital on Wednesday.
Kennedy's heart and mind are both in the right place.

My only objection is that he restricted his bill's freedom mandate to only veterans, and restricted the power of only unelected bureaucrats.

Well, half a loaf is better than none.

Now to get on to the rest of us sovereign U.S. citizens, and to restricting elected bureaucrats too. THEN we'll be getting somewhere!

Old 10-26-2023, 07:02 PM

1,746 posts, read 880,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Chalk up another confused U.S. subject who believes we should give government the authority to decide who can have a gun and who can't.

(sigh)

So are you saying that you believe the Lewiston Maine shooter (an ex marine) who was involuntary committed to a mental evaluation should not have had his guns taken away after saying he wanted to shoot up his base and heard voices in his head? Just curious.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:08 PM

1,702 posts, read 784,614 times
Well, I wasn’t going to give mine up anyway… but I’m glad they’re working on this.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:11 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,274,607 times
Quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/senate-pa...endment-rightsI never understand the illogic of taking rights away because of financial management

Nope. Who decides who is red flagged? Bitter ex wife? Crazy blue haired liberal next door? You could be red flagged for not getting the Covid vax if democrats had their way.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:13 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
This is good news. But Red Flag Laws are anathema to our rights. I know in California they can be based on hearsay with no evidence needed. And you can lose your gun rights based on a police officer's opinion. That's nuts.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:16 PM

17,648 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Nope. Who decides who is red flagged? Bitter ex wife? Crazy blue haired liberal next door? You could be red flagged for not getting the Covid vax if democrats had their way.
Agree. After watching the weaponization of the criminal justice system by the Democrats over the past few years, I don't trust any judge or bureaucrat to adjudicate my constitutional rights.

Old 10-26-2023, 07:20 PM

10,874 posts, read 4,551,006 times
Quote:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/senate-pa...endment-rightsI never understand the illogic of taking rights away because of financial management

This is topical. I have an uncle, 4 time vietnam combat vet, somewhat known. He has had 7 mini strokes the last 6 years ago and just had #8 but this one turned out some lights. He is currently in the VA rehab and will be for a while and I am managing his affairs, have his POA etc. He is and was an ardent collector and the VA has insisted that if they give him pain meds for his crippling arthritis in his spine and chest, he has to give up his guns for destruction, and if he goes into assisted living and his 100% disability pays for it (it will and then some) he has to give up same.

As of this moment, my poor office has over 75 weapons and 10's of thousands of rounds, from his apartment, so there is nothing to take by anyone (or steal) This is a mess. we mistreat our veterans so bad, pull off services, crappy medical care, over prescribing (he has over 75 pills prescribed and NO ONE ever ran a 'what if' to look for interactions.) I feel the only reason he is actually alive is trump passed vets choice where he can go to a REAL hospital and the VA has to pay for it. With his 4 combat tours and his disability (PTSD, AO, Arc Light etc) he gets the max check anyone would ever collect at NCO level so it will pay any bill, but their incentive is to make sure he does not collect long. If he gets into a private assisted care place (not nursing) and the payment is monthly, they will weekend at Bernies him for decades. That was his best life insurance: lack of real estate assets to sign over.

So this is a VERY interesting development...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies