Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 04:14 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,414,327 times

Advertisements

I live in a co-op building and every year during Christmas, it just seem customary to tip the building staff, whether it be the doorman, porters, super and handyman. But every year I give $30-40 to each of them and the thing that bothers me the most is that my building staff seems to do a poor job overall and even though I tip annually, the staff doesn't seem to care. They just take the tip from me like it doesn't make them happy and they really don't go above and beyond their duties anyway. For example, our hallways and elevators rarely get cleaned and looks quite dirty sometimes. There are tiles in the hallway that are falling apart that never get fixed. And sometimes when I have a package, the doorman never notifies me, so if my package did not have a tracking number, I would never know that my package has arrived. And sometimes, when I see the doorman for a package, he misplaces it and almost lost my package a couple of times.

Part of me wants to stop giving annual Holiday tips because it almost seems like my building staff couldn't care less whether they receive a tip or not. And because of that, I'm spending extra money tipping the staff every Christmas and getting nothing in return... no appreciation and lack of service. And our building keeps increasing our maintenance fees anyway, which probably means that these people are probably getting annual raises for doing less.

Do you think it's worth continuing to tip my building staff? I've always been indecisive every year about stopping the tips because I feel guilty, but if the staff doesn't seem to care and they are getting lazier at their jobs, it's like, why bother? What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 04:18 PM

1,175 posts, read 551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I live in a co-op building and every year during Christmas, it just seem customary to tip the building staff, whether it be the doorman, porters, super and handyman. But every year I give $30-40 to each of them and the thing that bothers me the most is that my building staff seems to do a poor job overall and even though I tip annually, the staff doesn't seem to care. They just take the tip from me like it doesn't make them happy and they really don't go above and beyond their duties anyway. For example, our hallways and elevators rarely get cleaned and looks quite dirty sometimes. There are tiles in the hallway that are falling apart that never get fixed. And sometimes when I have a package, the doorman never notifies me, so if my package did not have a tracking number, I would never know that my package has arrived. And sometimes, when I see the doorman for a package, he misplaces it and almost lost my package a couple of times.

Part of me wants to stop giving annual Holiday tips because it almost seems like my building staff couldn't care less whether they receive a tip or not. And because of that, I'm spending extra money tipping the staff every Christmas and getting nothing in return... no appreciation and lack of service. And our building keeps increasing our maintenance fees anyway, which probably means that these people are probably getting annual raises for doing less.

Do you think it's worth continuing to tip my building staff? I've always been indecisive every year about stopping the tips because I feel guilty, but if the staff doesn't seem to care and they are getting lazier at their jobs, it's like, why bother? What do you guys think?
Tough call. I couldn’t live in a building like that. It’s like a hotel 24hrs/day everyday. You feel bad when you don’t tip and you even come up with a little lie “don’t have cash now , I’ll get you later ”. But you forget and you can bet that tip they don’t forget. Bad cycle to be in.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Tough call. I couldn’t live in a building like that. It’s like a hotel 24hrs/day everyday. You feel bad when you don’t tip and you even come up with a little lie “don’t have cash now , I’ll get you later ”. But you forget and you can bet that tip they don’t forget. Bad cycle to be in.
That's the odd thing, I don't even think these people remember or care who does and doesn't tip. When I give these people a tip, it goes one ear and out the other, like it doesn't register to them. It's really odd when you think about it.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:22 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:

When you give a gift, it is supposed to be just that: a gift.

It's not supposed to be a 'you now owe me' gesture.

If you don't want to tip the staff, stop tipping the staff.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
That's the odd thing, I don't even think these people remember or care who does and doesn't tip. When I give these people a tip, it goes one ear and out the other, like it doesn't register to them. It's really odd when you think about it.
Oh they remember. I used to work in hotels (management). I hear all the time who tips and who doesn’t. It’s half their salary most likely. But that’s for good work , the ones that don’t care shouldn’t be tipped, but they remember .

Old 03-16-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhammer View Post
Oh they remember. I used to work in hotels (management). I hear all the time who tips and who doesn’t. It’s half their salary most likely. But that’s for good work , the ones that don’t care shouldn’t be tipped, but they remember .
They sure have a funny way of showing it. Like when I ask my doorman for packages, I get an attitude! I mean, is that the right way to treat someone who tips you every year??

Old 03-16-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
They sure have a funny way of showing it. Like when I ask my doorman for packages, I get an attitude! I mean, is that the right way to treat someone who tips you every year??
Nope . I wouldn’t tip the bas*ard either. Unless of course you snubbed them in the past and they remember . Wouldn’t be surprised if they right down in a little book who tips and who doesn’t

Old 03-16-2022, 04:49 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
They get salaries to do their job. Tipping is an extra benefit for good service.
Why are you tipping if the service is not good ? If you tip regardless they will continue with the attitude.
Why should they change if you will tip them anyway ?

Old 03-16-2022, 04:57 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,960 times
Is it worth tipping them if they required to you to wear a mask in essentially your own house? I wouldn't imagine tipping anyone in a building that felt they were entitled to rule over you what medical choices you take.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Now that the typical hourly worker is massively overpaid, it’s time to put an end to tipping in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies