Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 11:04 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,721,766 times

Advertisements

The title says it all. The apartment I had in 2009ish was just a few years old and had basic builder grade stuff like cheap particle board countertops coated in laminate, white appliances, basic carpet. The rent was pretty affordable for that reason. It was safe but affordable for someone trying to pay for college.

Nowadays all new apartments are labeled as "luxury" and include stuff like a pool, valet trash, exercise room, granite countertops, and stainless appliances. I guess builders and landlords learned that for a little bit extra investment, they can call the apartment "luxury" and charge a lot more in rent.

Unfortunately, even older apartments are undergoing a makeover. A dumpy 1980s complex near me got laminate floors, new appliances, and a fresh coat of paint and rent prices went from $950 for a 1br to $1250.

Then when you look at the buying market, you realize that something similar is happening. I don't see any smaller starter homes being built anymore. Everything is a McMansion that's at least 2500sqft. I guess there just isn't much money to be made building smaller homes.

For a DINK couple who wants a smaller home, you are either stuck buying an older one, having something custom built on your own land, or buying a townhouse/condo. Where is the new version of the 1950s craftsman home that is so popular in older suburbs across the US?

What can we do to get more affordable housing? I don't mean something for people on assistance programs, but housing for people who are blue collar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 11:06 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,798,653 times
It got regulated away by bureaucratic red tape. The only housing that gets built is the "luxury" apartments because regulation and red tape makes every other type of housing unprofitable.

What can we do about it? Start shredding regulations.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:09 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,080,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The title says it all. The apartment I had in 2009ish was just a few years old and had basic builder grade stuff like cheap particle board countertops coated in laminate, white appliances, basic carpet. The rent was pretty affordable for that reason. It was safe but affordable for someone trying to pay for college.

Nowadays all new apartments are labeled as "luxury" and include stuff like a pool, valet trash, exercise room, granite countertops, and stainless appliances. I guess builders and landlords learned that for a little bit extra investment, they can call the apartment "luxury" and charge a lot more in rent.

Unfortunately, even older apartments are undergoing a makeover. A dumpy 1980s complex near me got laminate floors, new appliances, and a fresh coat of paint and rent prices went from $950 for a 1br to $1250.

Then when you look at the buying market, you realize that something similar is happening. I don't see any smaller starter homes being built anymore. Everything is a McMansion that's at least 2500sqft. I guess there just isn't much money to be made building smaller homes.

For a DINK couple who wants a smaller home, you are either stuck buying an older one, having something custom built on your own land, or buying a townhouse/condo. Where is the new version of the 1950s craftsman home that is so popular in older suburbs across the US?

What can we do to get more affordable housing? I don't mean something for people on assistance programs, but housing for people who are blue collar?
You are in DFW. That explains everything.

I wish we had stayed behind for a year when my husband took his new job; we would have made an additional $100K on our house.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:13 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
It got regulated away by bureaucratic red tape. The only housing that gets built is the "luxury" apartments because regulation and red tape makes every other type of housing unprofitable.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:17 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,662,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

A major problem is that people in nice neighborhoods don't want low income housing built next to them.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:21 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,957,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You are in DFW. That explains everything.

I wish we had stayed behind for a year when my husband took his new job; we would have made an additional $100K on our house.
DFW has nothing to do with it. It's like this almost everywhere. Just start looking at things. I live near Charlotte and recently been looking. Up to two years ago studio and 1bedrooms could easily be found about 650 a month. Those same units they are asking over a thousand. Mass movement of people from more expensive states flooding the market. Any apartments that are more reasonably priced never actually have availability. Which brings up another thing that is happening. Apartments advertising availability and taking application fees and not actually having units available. This seems to be happening in multiple states at least reported by friends I know.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:24 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,243,675 times
Asset inflation due to quantitive easing for a decade with some inflation sprinkled on top. Only a few places to stick all that money, housing and REIT are one of those areas. Prices have been rising for years, people were not paying attention until 2020 and Covid.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:27 AM

8,421 posts, read 4,583,464 times
I see rents almost doubling when leases run out here in Vegas. I suppose part of it is the eviction moratorium but I don't understand why landlords think tenants who wouldn't pay when they didn't have to will now pay when they can't.

Old 03-23-2022, 11:27 AM

43,183 posts, read 18,329,147 times
Over regulations folks.

People cried about shoddy homes. Regulate.
People cried about this and that...more regulations.

Well it costs money to get permits for and incorporate all the regulations.
Did you think the costs would not be passed on to renters ?

Old 03-23-2022, 11:28 AM

1,812 posts, read 904,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
A major problem is that people in nice neighborhoods don't want low income housing built next to them.
That’s not a problem. That’s called protecting your investment and lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies