Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2022, 03:58 PM

44 posts, read 16,576 times

Advertisements

They allowed foreign real estate investors to buy as much USA land as they wanted, and they did. They gave foreigners an inch and they took thousands of miles.

They allowed illegal aliens to bum rush our cities and their underground real estate economy resulted in higher rents for the legal citizens.

They allowed USA corporations to relocate to foreign countries, giving other countries our jobs and revenue.

I think it was a whole lot more of extremely idiotic foreign relations that have lifted up foreigners and in exchange they ruined the future of countless hardworking Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 04:00 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
so, a person can live alone if they can afford $2,167, or they can get a roommate and spend $1,157.
Many have suggested roommates. Yes, anyone could get a roommate - or three or four. Needing roommates to make median rent implies unaffordable housing.

Roommates is not the solution to this nationwide issue.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
so, a person can live alone if they can afford $2,167, or they can get a roommate and spend $1,157.
With 30 days notice? These areas are people and families who work as mechanics, teachers, nurses, at Publix, at Wawa. These are not big industry areas. At all.

And these increases were not over time. They were immediate. Like I said, I know of a family whose rent went up $600/mo. Immediate. Know what happened? They got evicted. They tried but in that short timeframe couldn't get it together. Last I heard they were living in a week-to-week motel.

Your solution is difficult for EVERYONE to implement with 30 days notice.

That is the piece that no one seems to "get."

Old 03-23-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
With 30 days notice? These areas are people and families who work as mechanics, teachers, nurses, at Publix, at Wawa. These are not big industry areas. At all.

And these increases were not over time. They were immediate. Like I said, I know of a family whose rent went up $600/mo. Immediate. Know what happened? They got evicted. They tried but in that short timeframe couldn't get it together. Last I heard they were living in a week-to-week motel.

Your solution is difficult for EVERYONE to implement with 30 days notice.

That is the piece that no one seems to "get."
That is the thing. Honestly, I don't think anything will change until the plight of those workers starts to impact the ones that don't care, such as in reduced services when nurses, police, teachers, etc., begin to leave.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
in Manatee County, in Ellenton, you can get a $160K house on the water. Be at Bradenton Beach in 45 minutes. That's about what my 1st home cost in 1996.

Looks like Sarasota County is a bit tougher, since it's all much closer to the coast.

But y'all do understand that median means half the places are less than that, right?

Old 03-23-2022, 04:10 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
If there are kids or a mom on SS then what ? I rented a room once. Gave simple rules - they couldn’t even follow those. Roomies work if same age group and young. I would not want another person my age 69 - to deal with. If they get sick or fall. But it’s not just rentals. Home owners Ins and taxes keep going up n up too.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:12 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
in Manatee County, in Ellenton, you can get a $160K house on the water. Be at Bradenton Beach in 45 minutes. That's about what my 1st home cost in 1996.

Looks like Sarasota County is a bit tougher, since it's all much closer to the coast.

But y'all do understand that median means half the places are less than that, right?
That's hilarious.

You mean this right? https://www.zillow.com/community/col...66454319_zpid/

First off, it's not a house. It's a trailer. Yes, it is. Second, it's 55+ community, which has it's own housing regs. Third, notice the "+" tagged at the end of the price? Not getting it for $160K.

Care to look around at single family HOMES not in a 55+ community that actually have accurate list prices?

Look at year over year increase in single family homes. Look at rent increases.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

PS: Manatee and Sarasota counties are both on the gulf. Um ... yeah.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:12 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Maybe covid took the bread winner or a tornado stopped by maybe a fire or a illness. Dam not everyone can live your life.!
This comment is exceptionally rude.

You have no idea what problems we’ve had. We lost 90% of our income from the 2008 crash and had to short sell our house. Our credit was ruined, my husband (who is an engineer and had owned his own business) was delivering pizzas, and we had to rebuild our entire financial lives. We had two little kids, one who was just diagnosed with multiple learning disabilities.

What we did NOT do was whine about how landlords are greedy, complain about how life is unfair, argue that the capitalist system should be abolished, or any of the other drivel spouted on this thread.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
If there are kids or a mom on SS then what ? I rented a room once. Gave simple rules - they couldn’t even follow those. Roomies work if same age group and young. I would not want another person my age 69 - to deal with. If they get sick or fall. Nah.
Exactly. "Roommates" is not the answer to the unaffordable housing issue. Many workers getting pushed out have families. We are not all recent college grads.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:

I checked Zillow. The median is definitely much higher in that area unless you count mobile home parks which these days charge rather high lot rents not making them worth it. In the end people will pay it, because they know the government will bail them out, and continue to debase the currency and promote inflation via quantitative easing, no matter what comes out of their mouths. A couple of quarter point rate hikes is more public relations political posturing than actual effective policy as long as I continue to see them add to their balance sheets at the rate they are.

Don't listen to anyone. Watch their actions. Politicians are all liars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies