Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 03:13 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Lets all go E.V. tomorrow and turn up the air conditioners when it hits 100f ,,Now welcome Rolling Brown, even Black outs. What you wish for may not always be the best.
True.

When Air Force One converts to battery power I'll become a believer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 03:15 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
True.

When Air Force One converts to battery power I'll become a believer.
And when the Secret Service starts driving around in Teslas instead of Suburbans and Biden's tank that gets like 2 gallons to a mile is converted to electric.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
LOL, That's a good one! The largest Lithium deposit in the US is in Nevada. Lithium of America (LAC) has been trying to break ground on the Thacker pass deposit for years, between the enviro nuts, native tribes, and miles of government red tape it may never even start.
Want to mine Nickel? You better get started on the paper work now, maybe in a decade or two you might get to stick a shovel in the ground.
You know, there is something to be said about mining the rest of the world dry of their natural resources before touching our own.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You know, there is something to be said about mining the rest of the world dry of their natural resources before touching our own.
Yes, unless the "rest of the world" is mostly our enemies like China and Russia. Then they gain a huge advantage.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:41 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
You have really bought into the ev hype. What about battery waste? What are you going to do with millions of used up batteries? Please don’t parrot recycle because that is not feasible at this time and may never be. Also, are they really 4 times more efficient when accounting for all the variables like making the electricity to charge them and mining for stuff to make the electricity, waste from making electricity, pollution in mining materials for the battery, motor, and electronics materials? You also have to account for the millions of charging stations that need to go in. ICE materials are readily available and can be recycled. Steel, aluminum, magnesium all recyclable.

I want to get off oil as much as the next person but EVs don’t seem like a great mass ownership alternative to ICE’s. I think they are a part of the answer, but something else needs to be developed.
Yes, EV's are far more efficient. My Tesla gets 120 mpg and is super quick and fast. I drove 80 miles round trip this morning and to charge it back up to where it was before we left cost me about $1.60 and we were traveling fast to make an appointment. My Hellcat that I had before the Tesla would have cost about $25 to do the same trip and been slower as well.

EV's will be recycled similar to ICE vehicles in the future and the batteries can be used to store energy from the grid.

We will be a super high exporter of oil once we get a high proportion of our cars EV.

ICE vehicles have had their day, the future is EV.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post

Cool, then we can stop wasting money we don't have bribing rich people who already made up their mind to buy cars that they can already afford.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:47 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Cool, then we can stop bribing rich people to buy cars that they can already afford.
I would be fine with that especially once we start taxing ICE vehicles for the poisonous pollution they are putting in the air.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I took a 5000 mile trip out west last summer in my lovely X5. That would be impossible in an EV without spending hours every day charging batteries.

EVs have their place, but they will never replace all ICEs.

Then there is that pesky battery replacement issue.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/24/tesla-...r-new-battery/

Old 03-24-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Cool, then we can stop wasting money we don't have bribing rich people who already made up their mind to buy cars that they can already afford.
That will never happen. Rich people love having working-class Americans help them buy their expensive Teslas.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I would be fine with that especially once we start taxing ICE vehicles for the poisonous pollution they are putting in the air.
How bout we tax Biden and Harris for the poisonous pollution they put in the air?

Biden puts out more poisonous pollution in one trip on AF1 than my Subaru might in a decade. I have never had to charter a cargo plane for my excess baggage on any of my international trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies