Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2022, 08:21 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamDuncanitis View Post
I stopped at the 1 minute mark when in one breath he said other countries pay a lot more in taxes, and in the other said healthcare was free.

Does he exhibit a greater understanding of the subject after that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 08:23 AM

took another 45 seconds for him to

a. claim "they pay less in taxes than you do" - which is demonstrably false.
b. equate (income) taxes paid based on wealth not income.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:28 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
They need to close offshore tax loopholes first. But they wont.

Turkeys don't vote for Thanksgiving.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:39 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's patently impossible if you want to keep roads in decent shape, keep corporations from dumping toxic waste in rivers, keep the military at some minimal level, keep seniors from dying or starving, etc. You keep repeating this without providing any means to keep the country running.
If it's impossible, then get the **** out of the way so someone else can take over. I'm not interested in an endless stream of excuses why we need to waste billions on SEVEN different programs to provide milk to schoolchildren.

Spend within your means or go bankrupt. It's that simple.

You think I'm being harsh here? I guarantee you the IMF will be even more harsh.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Won't see a 100 million either. Forget them, too.
your not getting the point that this will effect many...middleclass many....because a wealth tax hits everyone with any wealth, not just billionaires.

the problem is that the "wealth" has already been taxed..at least twice, once when the income and savings was initially made, and also any investment (interest) income

and the "wealth" is EVERYTHING (assets accumulated over the years)

My main issue with this is....who is going to determine what someone's net worth (total assets) is, and how are they going to determine it

who determines the "wealth"???

and just how would you tax "wealth"...the first thing you would have to do is define
wealth

just how are you going to determine the "net worth" of someone

just what entity is going to value the assets

answer it please...just how do you define/value their "wealth"

what about a working-class guy, who has a distant uncle who wills my his ONLY possession.... a Picasso...…

to him it may be priceless...what is the government going to value it at...a billion? so now this working-class guy is "worth" a billion.... yet the BEST he could possibly get for it at auction is 50m..and the most probable value is 10m.. yet the government is going to want 2% of a billion (20 mil)…. and since that is his only asset (government value of 1b) just where is he going to get 20m...and where is he going to get 20m for next year...… so what do we do, cut a Picasso up into pieces?

but what about a family farm

the problem is that the "wealth" has already been taxed..at least twice, once when the income and savings was initially made, and also any investment (interest) income

and the "wealth" is EVERYTHING (assets accumulated over the years)

the average FAMILY farm is well over 10-20 million in VALUE,

because a wealth tax hits everyone with any wealth, not just billionaires

fact the average small farm is valued OVER 7.5 million, that includes the land, and equipment

value ACCUMULATES over time, either by inflation (ie a house bought for 20k would be worth 350k in 20 years) or by bits and pieces adding each year

I was a mechanic for 30 years...the "value' of my tools (replacement cost) is over 70k....that's corrects 70,000 dollars worth of tools...ACCUMULATED over a 30+ year time frame

say a person picks up a 'junk' 1938 Duisenberg for 1k, and fixes it...that 1k (maybe less) investment could end up being worth 250k-2m...what happens if he dies, should his family have to sell his life's work to pay 20% tax on it????

this (a wealth tax) would especially effect/affect family farms and working-class (middleclass/poor)

even with the exemption being at 5 or 10 or 15 million it will still effect small business and farms

the average family farm is not a valueless thing...many grain farmers are farming lots of land that is in the 1000's of acres...and with the value of land being in the 1000's of dollars per acre.

Quote:
am a grain farmer of 4,500 acres who I work along with my two brothers, father and mother. Family farms have increased in size because it has been necessary to stay profitable. Profit margins have decreased over the decades, therefore in order for a farmer to stay profitable, they have to produce more of that product. When I graduated college in 2004 i was attending a farmers meeting, and a man read off the closing price for corn on Chicago Board of Trade. It was $2.10 a bushel. Then he read off the archive list of where corn closed for the week in 1974. It read $2.34. So in 30 years the price had basically stagnated. However the rise of inflation for the cost of operation and standard of living had increased drastically.

http://www.agweb.com/article/iowa_fa..._News_Release/

hmmm 4500 acres with the value per acre being $8716.......mini calc......39,222,000

hmmm the value just of the land is 39 million.....a wealth tax CERTAINLY will effect this working-class/middleclass family farmer

a wealth tax is the most idiotic lame-brained idea anyone could come up with

another example, I will use everyone's favorite bad guy...D Trump

think about this.... for the last 4 years.. liberals have been screaming about trump..."he wont release his taxes"..."he probably is not even a billionaire"....

so what is going to happen now...are we going to go from "..."he probably is not even a billionaire"....
to ….."he is worth 50 billion, we want the 20% on 50 billion because WE say he is worth that"

Old 03-28-2022, 08:41 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
They need to close offshore tax loopholes first. But they wont.

Turkeys don't vote for Thanksgiving.
When you earn income it is taxed.

Once the money is in your pocket, it is no longer taxed. If you want to deposit your money in a bank, the only further chance to tax you is taxing the interest you get from the bank. Using an offshore bank might help to avoid being taxed on interest. But you need to keep in mind that interest rates are extremely low.

Do you really want to live or die, on the topic of taxing someone getting 0.25% interest on their savings?

Trust funds are NOT invested in savings accounts earning 0.25% that would be stupid.

Trust funds are invested in mutuals. Which are fully taxed.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
What’s the difference between being taxed on the value of your home, forever I may add, than getting taxed on the value of your 401k? We’re used to getting taxed on our home value. That’s it.
either you don't have a 401K, or you don't know how it works.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:48 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
It's stupid.

Just tax capital gains the same as ordinary income. Tax loans that are taken out for which accrued capital gains are used as collateral. End trusts.

Taxing wealth that is just sitting there accomplishes nothing good, only bad.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:51 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Do you really want to live or die, on the topic of taxing someone getting 0.25% interest on their savings?
The Panama Papers (remember them?) showed us that the wealthy elite are benefitting way more than that with their creative banking. To pretend otherwise is naïve.

Quote:
At least 2,400 US-based clients were found in the papers; while many of their transactions were legal, Mossack Fonseca offered advice to many of its US clients on how to evade US tax and financial disclosure laws
So avoiding tax all together. I'll live or die on that hill, rather than the 0.25% on savings you're suggesting. And if you say their transactions were legal, sure, but why would they be offered advice on how to avoid US tax all together? Suspicious, no?

Old 03-28-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I daresay (devils advocate) that institutional investors would be waiting for the day Bezos had to sell $4B of stock to meet his tax obligation. They'd lap it up at $3.5B.

It would be great to see Zuckerberg and the Google fellas have to sell %'s of their ownership every year to where they had to actually answer to a controlling board/shareholders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And right alongside Zuckerberg would be that farmer that is land rich (thousands of acres) but cash poor....
maybe Zuckerberg will give him $20 million or so to pay taxes......
let me be clear - I am against the whole proposal as presented.

What I was saying is that it would be good comeuppance for Zuckerberg etal to lose some of their control over their companies by diluting their share of ownership.

the misfit idiots in DC have no idea how to reasonably exclude true family businesses and family farms, as 2 examples, from estate taxes that forces their (at least partial) liquidation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies