Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 09:58 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,477,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
You don't think Jeff Bezos one of the riches person in the world who owns Amazon won't raise their prices if he is taxed more?
Mr. Bezos started by owning 47% of Amazon. Since that time he has sold most of his stock. Today he owns less than 10% of the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 10:49 AM

15,513 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
75% of federal government spending is a giant wasteful unsustainable welfare state that wouldn't be needed in the first place if taxpayers didn't pay have to pay for it to begin with.

Police and fire are only 15% of my property taxes at best.

Spare me. You just want freebies paid for with other people's money.
Police and fire are 60% of my City property taxes, and Sheriff/jail/constables is 50% of my County taxes. Biggest single tax is schools, which I am happy to pay, since real societies educate their members.

You've never been anywhere without a social safety net, have you? Absent the safety net, you have kids begging on the street, or selling single cigarettes, etc, just to help their families survive.

I don't get any freebies, so spare me the feigned outrage.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:57 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,801,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Police and fire are 60% of my City property taxes, and Sheriff/jail/constables is 50% of my County taxes. Biggest single tax is schools, which I am happy to pay, since real societies educate their members.
Government doesn't consist of HALF the total GDP of a real society. Government consisting of half of our GDP is like an office manager spending half a corporation's annual budget.

City property taxes are a quarter of my total. County being another 20%. At best, public safety consists of 15-20% of my total property taxes.

You can feel free to waste money on public schools. Public schools haven't done any educating in 40 years while pissing away an ever increasing share of taxpayer dollars. Just because the government doesn't do it doesn't mean it won't get done. And by the way, children are NOT a license to burn other people's money

Quote:
You've never been anywhere without a social safety net, have you? Absent the safety net, you have kids begging on the street, or selling single cigarettes, etc, just to help their families survive.
You wouldn't need a social safety net if the parasites in government weren't pissing away half of GDP.

Also, feel free to give your own money away to poor people. And unlike relying on a bloated wasteful parasitic bureaucracy to dole out that money, cutting checks doesn't gobble up 50 cents out of every dollar doled out.

Last edited by albert648; 04-01-2022 at 11:17 AM..

Old 04-01-2022, 11:21 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,314,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The folks who would be impacted by a wealth tax are basically beyond actually being 'hurt' by such a tax. What has happened is the hedge fund investor class has learned to simply take the vast majority of their earnings as stock/investments/stakes in a business. It is perfectly legal (and I would not even qualify it as immoral) but it shifts more taxes on people who earn income and can not control how they are paid.

I think it is funny that the folks who were convinced Bezos didn't pay his taxes two years ago are now arguing against the measure that would actually increase the footprint of where someone like him could be taxed.
except those are pretty much opposite groups, not the same.

It is Democrats who decry how much Bezos - a liberal - "doesn't pay" and it's the Progressives - Biden, Sanders, Warren etal - that want to reach in his pocket some brand new way rather than amend the tax code.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:56 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,590,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You can't possibly be serious about this statement. Just because these people are paying no federal income tax, they are paying payroll taxes, and state and local taxes.

Do you really think it is fair to expect someone making less than $28,000 to pay some federal income tax, when people making over $1M in unearned income are able to write much of their federal income tax liability off?
The same write off is available to the people who make $28k. Go ahead and write it off.

In fact, I have offered my write off service many times - for each dollar you send me, I will refund you 70 cents. Unlike the government, my service has no limit. You can write off as much as you want.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:

I don't get any freebies, so spare me the feigned outrage.
Morally speaking, you are more than welcome to pay, but keep your hands off my wallet.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 04-01-2022 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-01-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
The folks who would be impacted by a wealth tax are basically beyond actually being 'hurt' by such a tax. What has happened is the hedge fund investor class has learned to simply take the vast majority of their earnings as stock/investments/stakes in a business. It is perfectly legal (and I would not even qualify it as immoral) but it shifts more taxes on people who earn income and can not control how they are paid.

I think it is funny that the folks who were convinced Bezos didn't pay his taxes two years ago are now arguing against the measure that would actually increase the footprint of where someone like him could be taxed.
The rich people won’t be hurt. We will be. The rich people are the most productive people in our country and they produce most goods, services and jobs. When the government tax them, we have fewer goods, services, and jobs. We will be paying more for the same goods and services while having fewer jobs.

Every government policy ends up hurting the little people.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:12 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,801,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are more than welcome to pay. Just keep your hands off my wallet.
Exactly.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:17 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,391,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You can't possibly be serious about this statement. Just because these people are paying no federal income tax, they are paying payroll taxes, and state and local taxes.

Do you really think it is fair to expect someone making less than $28,000 to pay some federal income tax, when people making over $1M in unearned income are able to write much of their federal income tax liability off?
You can't possibly be serious, this whole discussion is about making people pay more federal taxes that are already paying taxes on investments as well as state, local, property, and other taxes. This whole thread is about making sure people pay some level of taxes - the whole argument is that paying other taxes is not an excuse for not paying more federal taxes. Why does that not apply to others at lower income levels also.

Even the poor should at least pay something, have skin in the game instead of being only subsidized. To them, increasing taxes on the "rich" is about getting more free stuff, not being concerned about the growth in taxes on everyone because they see taxes as a gain in income instead of a loss. They should be concerned about tax rate increases and growing deficits, instead of seeing it as a good thing, a "punishment" that is only applicable on the "rich".

Many paying no federal are not paying other taxes either. The purpose of the EITC is to refund back payroll taxes - a tax that pays for their SS and Medicare benefits. Most state taxes are based on federal returns - with no federal tax, many have no state tax either. The bottom 50% earned 11.6% of all income yet most get money back with an effective tax rate of negative 2%.

This group includes someone making over $60K and some that may be worth millions that are being subsidized by paying no tax but getting free health care and other benefits. I think it is only fair that someone is making $15/hr ($28K) pays some federal tax. Unearned income is obviously not earned income, but all income is taxed - if you are talking about unrealized gains, that is not a write-off because it is not income if not realized (sold). The main writeoff for unearned income is a loss in value - when was the last time you had to pay tax on income or value you lost?

Last edited by ddeemo; 04-01-2022 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 04-01-2022, 03:55 PM

15,513 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You can't possibly be serious, this whole discussion is about making people pay more federal taxes that are already paying taxes on investments as well as state, local, property, and other taxes. This whole thread is about making sure people pay some level of taxes - the whole argument is that paying other taxes is not an excuse for not paying more federal taxes. Why does that not apply to others at lower income levels also.

Even the poor should at least pay something, have skin in the game instead of being only subsidized. To them, increasing taxes on the "rich" is about getting more free stuff, not being concerned about the growth in taxes on everyone because they see taxes as a gain in income instead of a loss. They should be concerned about tax rate increases and growing deficits, instead of seeing it as a good thing, a "punishment" that is only applicable on the "rich".

Many paying no federal are not paying other taxes either. The purpose of the EITC is to refund back payroll taxes - a tax that pays for their SS and Medicare benefits. Most state taxes are based on federal returns - with no federal tax, many have no state tax either. The bottom 50% earned 11.6% of all income yet most get money back with an effective tax rate of negative 2%.

This group includes someone making over $60K and some that may be worth millions that are being subsidized by paying no tax but getting free health care and other benefits. I think it is only fair that someone is making $15/hr ($28K) pays some federal tax. Unearned income is obviously not earned income, but all income is taxed - if you are talking about unrealized gains, that is not a write-off because it is not income if not realized (sold). The main writeoff for unearned income is a loss in value - when was the last time you had to pay tax on income or value you lost?
So, how much do you think a single mother earning $28k per year should pay in Federal income tax? 10 percent would be $2800, which probably comes out of her food budget, clothes for her and the kid, and other necessities. You people saying this garbage are stupidly dense about how hard it is to live on that kind of income in most cities. And, I would bet that the people making $28k per year work way harder than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies