Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:02 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,743 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say it is about income...I am certainly not wealthy and being in a forum like this we don't know anyone's actual income levels. I think at times spanking has its place, I think it is overused yes and I also think that there is a difference between a spank and beating.
I don't think it is a northerner / southerner thing. I am not either Half the time I ppl don't realize they they are being rude.
Everyone has different upbringing and all kids are different. As parents we do the best we can (most of us ) to ensure our kids are raised to be productive adults and good citizens.
It is just so odd that so many kids seem so out of control these days, they seem to have free reign and a sense of entitlement.
I think homework spanking is an example of overuse too, I guess if parents raise their kids to be respectful of adults and to behave then they don't have to worry about a paddle being used at all.

My inlaws said ppl seem much friendlier here but I haven't noticed too much difference yet, around me ppl keep to themselves which is ok by me! I am private too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 10:37 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcenFL View Post
You're making a different point now. In the earlier post you said the equivalant of "poor people are uneducated and spank", and now you are quoting a news article to support an altogether DIFFERENT point that poorer children (along with disabled, and minorities) fall victim to CP in schools disproportionately. One minute you're condemning anyone who does spank, and now decrying it in schools because it is unfair.

Either way, if a certain group of children (boys, minorities, disabilities, etc) are unfairly targeted by CP- then it points to a bigger issue, because they would be unfairly targeted and punished with OR even without CP being in schools. There is a problem in schools today with administrators sometimes having a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude towards those who have even the slightest history of misbehavior, along with being biased towards boys, or those with learning disabilities.

I remember being a fairly gentle kid in grade school, but in 4th grade I said something a girl didn't like so she punched me right in the face. Even without laying a hand on her I was automatically guilty of fighting and actually spent more time in the office than she did getting lectured. If that situation had been turned around and a boy hit a girl, even with provocation, the administrators would be falling all over themselves with compassion for the victimized girl and ther boy would be demonized. In boils down to fairness and equality, and no matter how hard we strive for it in the adult world we send our kids off to schools that are a double standard in action.
You're right, I'm not being clear about my point. First, I'm not saying only poor people spank their children. I'm saying, in my personal opinion, spanking is a result of ignorance. I believe there are many other excellent choices for discipline that don't degrade, embarass, or cause physical pain. So, the less education a parent has, the more likely he/she is to spank. I know I wll be flamed for this by "educated" parents who do spank. That's okay, just my opinion.

By bringing up the fact that the poorer children are the ones being paddled, I'm saying that they are probably the ones who are already being spanked at home. I don't think they are the "spoiled brats" people like to talk about when discussing this issue. They are most likely the ones who have parents that feel helpless and out of control themselves.

As far as there being a difference in spanking and beating, Peggy Dean had posted a website a while back on this very topic. The photos of children who'd been paddled were quite disturbing. Not exactly theCatholic School swat of a ruler on your knuckles.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:44 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
This is not intended to stir the pot and take it as you will.....

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him (Proverbs 13:24).

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him (Proverbs 22:15).

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die (Proverbs 23:13).

The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother (Proverbs 29:15).

Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post

He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him (Proverbs 13:24).

Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him (Proverbs 22:15).

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die (Proverbs 23:13).

The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother (Proverbs 29:15).

Uh-oh CharlotteAgent - them thar are fightin words to some folks who don't cotton to Bible readin!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,743 times
I think there are 2 parts of loving a kid, the one part is unconditional, the other is disciplinary love. They have to learn to have self control and until they have that, someone has to teach it to them and there has to be a consequence for a bad behavior. Do you talk to a 2 or 3 yr old about not running in the street? they don't have the ability to reason that and they forget but a quick swat on the behind as soon as they do that ..they remember. I'd rather them be afraid of a swat on their hiney vs being roadkill! I also can't stand when kids act like animals let out of a cage in public and a parent who sits and stares at them! Isn't parenting fun
I agree boys are picked on more in school for behavior etc. Boys are more rowdy, it is just a given. Also think about it, do you sit in one place for six hours and learn things you don't want to learn with the reward of a good grade? I don't lol...it is a lot to ask of a kid, at least a younger child to act perfect all day long.
I LOVE ISS vs OSS!! Sitting isolated all day would majorly stink!
I also don't agree with low income means ignorance. There are points in life where you may be low income OR you may have a change in your financial status say for instance if you choose to stay home vs work when your children are born, you may not be high income anymore but you are making a sacrifice to do what you feel is the right decision and it doesn't mean you are stupid or lose your intelligence. I know I could goto work and put my kids in daycare and make a lot more money but they are only little once.
Besides the fact that teachers, social workers, law enforcement, etc are paid so little in comparison to what their responsibility is..I hope they are not considered ignorant!!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 PM

26 posts, read 79,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post

We don't stone people to death anymore either. I believe these quotes from the Bible are saying that to not DISCIPLINE is to hate your child and not care for their well being and have them be a disgrace to society. The "rod" is a figurative term for discipline. I don't believe God insists that we use a rod (what IS a rod exactly? A steel bar, a twig from a tree, a hand?). It's simply guidance from God to encourage us to discipline our children. Not necessarily physical discipline in my opinion. Note I said in "my" opinion. LOL! Just another way to look at the Bible defense....that's all. Peace!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 PM

26 posts, read 79,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Do you talk to a 2 or 3 yr old about not running in the street? they don't have the ability to reason that and they forget but a quick swat on the behind as soon as they do that ..they remember. I'd rather them be afraid of a swat on their hiney vs being roadkill!!
In this instance, the parent is the one who needs a swatting. A 2 or 3 year old child should never be in a situation where they are free to run into the road. This is faulty parenting, not bad behavior on the part of the child.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 PM

409 posts, read 1,237,162 times
I was wacked at school once. It was the day the principal was out, so the football coach did the wacking. He had a long paddle with holes drilled in it, so there was less 'wind resistance'. It hurt. A lot.

Did I learn something - yes!

Did I tell my parents - NO!

If I would have told them I would have received worse from my dad. He didn't beat me, just sturdy discipline when my actions begged him to. I wasn't afraid of him, and didn't grow up to hate him, I learned that he was the head of the household - and respected him.

After a while (when I learned not to be such an *** ****), it became kind of a joke. I would do something wrong - he would reach for his belt, and I would stop doing whatever it was. Then we would both laugh. He taught me that in order to be a strict disciplinarian you have to have much love in your heart.

I have to go now .... the voices in my head are trying to tell me something ... .

Old 01-04-2007, 02:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
I was in no way suggesting that all people who spank their children are ignorant. I am saying, in my opinion, that it is an ignorant way to discipline your child.

My life is centered on Jesus. I read my Bible every day but I still do not spank my children. I am, however, a very strict disciplinarian. I am also a stay at home Mom who is very involved with my children and try my best to keep them out of situations that may be dangerous. Have I slapped my toddler's hand as he put it up to the electrical outlet? Yes. That is a far cry from taking a belt to him at an older age.

Please, let me reiterate that I'm not saying parents who spank are ignorant, poor or bad parents in general. I just really feel it's a lazy and uneducated form of discipline.

This really isn't even a thread about how parents discipline their children. It's about educators being allowed to use their own discretion in paddling our kids.
I'm probably better off not speaking on something I feel so strongly about I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:41 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Personally a teacher that lays a hand on my kids will have alot more to worry about when I get there!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies