Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 12:16 PM

631 posts, read 289,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our governor has just announced a ban on not the sale, but the registration of ICE vehicles as of 2030. I expect this to be a big boost to sales of them over the next 8 years here, though the next election for governor will happen before then, and it could be his demise.
Hehe... No matter how much ICE vehicles are banned in this country, you can bet that all of the Asian and African continents will be driving them into oil depletion, and no one will 'make' them change over. And that's going to be a lot of ICE vehicles driving that dreadful global warming. It's a Ponzi scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 01:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
I am a farmer. My farm is on solar-power. I do not like the idea of being dependent on petroleum [which is far too political a topic].

For years I have seen EV farm tractors demonstrated at our annual Ag fair. I would like, someday to have an EV tractor.

I have been following the development of USA made EV utility trucks. 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds, 200 mile range, towing capacity 7500 lb, internal haul capacity that fits 72 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:03 PM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
The people trying to make a point are the one's attacking electric cars simply because they think that being anti-electric car is something they are expected to do as a republican. Why do you care if peope buy electric cars? I have yet to see anyone buy an electric car because someone forced them to.
I'm not anti EV. My daily driver is one and has been for 8 years. I'm planning to replace another ICE vehicle with an EV soon. Charge them with my solar panels.

I'm a conservative. I have plenty of conservative friends that love EV's.

The liberals are the ones who are causing the division. They think they only they care about the environment and that all republicans drive smelly pickups and water their yards with oil or something. Libs are a joke.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:35 PM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I'm not anti EV. My daily driver is one and has been for 8 years. I'm planning to replace another ICE vehicle with an EV soon. Charge them with my solar panels.

The liberals are the ones who are causing the division. They think they only they care about the environment and that all republicans drive smelly pickups and water their yards with oil or something. Libs are a joke.
Honestly, republicans and democrats are the same in their hypocracy. This shouldnt be a partisan issue. Like I have said, electric cars are incrementally better than gas ones so I expect them to be more dominant in the future.

Old 04-05-2022, 01:54 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
And yes, we're better than driving on scooters. We can afford it here in the USA.
WOW who's "we"?!? Like half of the country can barely afford the car they own! Is my retired dad a lesser person for getting around on a scooter??

I'm not sure what universe you're living in, you've already insisted that we're better off relying on the oil mafia than electricity, that we could stockpile gasoline if need be despite the fact that that whole system still relies on electricity, and gasoline has a short shelf life.

To be fair, answering the original question, we'll probably be back on horses on donkeys before electric vehicles become truly dominant.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
WOW who's "we"?!? Like half of the country can barely afford the car they own! Is my retired dad a lesser person for getting around on a scooter??

I'm not sure what universe you're living in, you've already insisted that we're better off relying on the oil mafia than electricity, that we could stockpile gasoline if need be despite the fact that that whole system still relies on electricity, and gasoline has a short shelf life.

To be fair, answering the original question, we'll probably be back on horses on donkeys before electric vehicles become truly dominant.
We as in Americans. The country that invented the affordable automobile so that we wouldn't have to drive around like peasants.

We generally don't prefer public transportation and do prefer personal vehicles more than any other nation on Earth.

Old 04-05-2022, 02:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Some of the only libs I know drive large SUVs. One has an Escalade and another has a Range Rover.

Sounds silly...but it is true!

Old 04-05-2022, 02:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post

No, no! That would be producing too much methane gas into the air!

Old 04-05-2022, 03:07 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Are we not dependent on foreign entites for a lot of our energy resources? Why is the extraction and disposal of battery products an issue for the growth of the EV market?
Unless government creates laws or regulations to prevent it, then America can acquire all of it's energy needs from within America. If every foreign nation refused to buy US fossil fuels, and refused to sell the US any, we would have plenty enough coal, oil and gas to supply our needs. However, we do not have enough rare earth metals in the US to serve our needs in the EV car future that Biden and his admin are spinning.

I just posted three links that explain the problems we have encountered with mining and disposing of the waste from producing electric cars and car batteries. If you still do not see a problem with the inability to properly dispose of billions of EV car batteries, then I really cannot help you.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:09 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
EV's are a giant leap when it comes to acceleration, efficiency, and reduction in pollution. The negatives are less density of the energy, heavy weight and longer duration of refueling. I would agree the net improvement is incremental and that will lead to its adoption unless a more desirable solution is found in the next 20 years.
We've been trying to do it since the 80s. Most of America will take at least that much longer as this Country is mostly desolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies