Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are electric vehicles the future of American personal travel?
Yes 202 44.99%
No 247 55.01%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 11:28 AM

2,612 posts, read 929,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Totally wrong. We are "attacking" electric cars because overall they are idiotic. We're not the ones pushing anything, the people behind the electric cars are.

For the record: We are for freedom and choice, not government mandated nonsense because of the Environment Fairy.

If electric cars are demanded by the population, I'm all for them. I just don't want to see the government mandate them and force an inferior product on us.

And the other point of this thread was to bring some logic into the debate on these cars. There were several other threads going where people acted like we'd have all electric cars in a few years because they make so much sense. We need to stop letting ourselves be gas lighted so easily.
I actually agree that there should be no special subsidies or mandates for electric (though I did enjoy not paying sales tax and getting a $5k check for buying my Tesla!). That is a separate issue. Electric cars are better so I think as the technology develops, charging becomes more available and costs come down; it is inevitable that they will replace most ICE engines.

You act like people who buy electric cars have an issue with oil and gas. I just like progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 11:28 AM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Exactly! Many of the "only EVs" people are just like sheep following their rich hypocritical leaders. They don't care that their rich leaders burn more carbon than 100 little people.
the shallowness of virtue signing to a tee. They don't bother looking into the deeper meaning or consequences of what they are doing or promoting, because they benefit from the feeling of being a better person than everyone else.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Actually, preserving people's right to choose what cars to buy is a Republican principle.

The anti ICE people have no minds. They will do whatever Brandon says they should do.
First of all, freedom to choose is not a republican principle. It is more of a libertarian principle and libertarianism has little in common with the republican party (or democrat party). But dont fool yourself into believing you favor freedom and limited government. That is what I favor and you and I are nothing alike.

The things you say are totally irrational. You think people who buy $60k+ cars know less about this than you do? Its funny how these things all come up at the same time, I am having a similar discussion with a guy on facebook. He said that electric car buyers dont realize that electricity is produced with fossil fuels. The guy probably doesnt even have a full set of his own teeth and yet he thinks he knows more than someone paying $60k for an electric car?

Old 04-05-2022, 11:36 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Is it people fighting against the EV and tech itself, or are they fighting against being commanded to adopt a future or mindset that someone else wants?
Correct, the left politicized climate change and EVs, and now foolishly believes all of a divided polarized America would want one. As if all the folks who get accused of being hillbilly Trumpers would suddenly go out and buy a radical liberal woke-mobile.

Why does liberalism always depend on censorship, obedience, forcing people to do things because "the government knows what's best" when in reality, people can decide for themselves whether they need to go into $60K of debt to derive value in their life.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:45 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Correct, the left politicized climate change and EVs, and now foolishly believes all of a divided polarized America would want one. As if all the folks who get accused of being hillbilly Trumpers would suddenly go out and buy a radical liberal woke-mobile.

Why does liberalism always depend on censorship, obedience, forcing people to do things because "the government knows what's best" when in reality, people can decide for themselves whether they need to go into $60K of debt to derive value in their life.
You think "the left" politicized climate change? That's hilarious, but not unexpected here in this RWNJ echo chamber.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:48 AM

37,973 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
I actually agree that there should be no special subsidies or mandates for electric (though I did enjoy not paying sales tax and getting a $5k check for buying my Tesla!). That is a separate issue. Electric cars are better so I think as the technology develops, charging becomes more available and costs come down; it is inevitable that they will replace most ICE engines.

You act like people who buy electric cars have an issue with oil and gas. I just like progress.
How are electric cars better? People talk about how nations are being controlled and influenced by the governments of hostile nations over resources like oil and gas, well, some very unfriendly and even hostile nations are sitting on top of most of the world's precious rare earth metals. This is not a new problem, and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

The nations sitting on top of the world's raw supplies of rare earth metals are not the same nations which care about a clean environment.

A Scarcity of Rare Metals Is Hindering Green Technologies

The move toward new and better technologies — from smart phones to electric cars — means an ever-increasing demand for exotic metals that are scarce thanks to both geology and politics. Thin, cheap solar panels need tellurium, which makes up a scant 0.0000001 percent of the earth’s crust, making it three times rarer than gold. High-performance batteries need lithium, which is only easily extracted from briny pools in the Andes.

Toxic and radioactive: The damage from mining rare elements

The gallium and indium in many phones comes from China or South Korea, the tantalum from the Democratic Republic of Congo or Rwanda. All in, such materials comprise less than 10 grams of a phone's weight. But these grams finance an international mining industry that causes radioactive earth dumps, poisoned groundwater and Indigenous population displacement.

Climate-positive, high-tech metals are polluting Earth, but solutions await

Mineral extraction consumes gigantic quantities of fresh water and can pollute soil, water and air, while vast open-pit mines drive large-scale land-use change, cause deforestation and threaten biodiversity. Mining, processing and transporting minerals also uses enormous amounts of energy, generating greenhouse gas emissions. In the end, the technology-critical elements (TCEs) themselves may become pollutants when released back into the environment as emissions or waste.

Lithium batteries may also be suitable for dedicated recycling, though the technology doesn’t yet exist. Future demand for lithium-ion batteries is predicted to outpace global production, even as the first generation of fully electric vehicles reaches the end of their battery lifespan.

Just look at all the bad things that mining rare earth metals are doing now, and the EV market hasn't even become mainstream yet. Wait until millions of EVs are being manufactured, and you can multiple the bad, by tenfold or more.

There is no thought going into the mad dash to force everyone to buy an EV, we don't even have a viable method to recycle lithium batteries yet, and government still want millions of EVs to flood the market. Did we learn nothing from MTBE? no, cuz the same types of mindless idiots are in charge of the agenda.

Old 04-05-2022, 11:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Actually, preserving people's right to choose what cars to buy is a Republican principle.

The anti ICE people have no minds. They will do whatever Brandon says they should do.
I remember well when it was an American principle.

Time was when the Democrat/Republican tug of war was all about how the economic pie was to be split and very little else. Nearly everyone on both sides of the political isle was rational....and rational people don't debate the need for police funding, men being allowed in women's restrooms or on women's sports teams, that carbon dioxide is a pollutant that can/should be government regulated, or any of the dozens of other slices of lunacy originating in the diseased minds of the fringe left.

Yes, Democrats were once all about seeing that the working man/woman got a fair shake. Today, they are more than half done converting America to an asylum for the mentally deranged.

Yesterday's Republicans, Mitt Romney's Republicans, aren't Americans at all. They're proudly heartless and soulless globalists. Trump's Republicans are JFK Democrats and are America's last hope.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:04 PM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Is it people fighting against the EV and tech itself, or are they fighting against being commanded to adopt a future or mindset that someone else wants?
Quote:
Exactly! Many of the "only EVs" people are just like sheep following their rich hypocritical leaders. They don't care that their rich leaders burn more carbon than 100 little people.
The way I see it is you have 2 sides here.

1. I prefer ICE vehicles, so I'll buy one and drive one.
2. I prefer EVs, so you will buy one and drive one, or take the bus.

Option 1 allows me to get an ICE or an EV, so I support option 1. I have no problem with EVs and I would love the option to CHOOSE one if I so desire next time I buy a vehicle.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:06 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some people have allowed the idea of EVs to frighten them. I think these people have missed what is really going on.

The automotive industry has been dumping Billions into developing self-driving automobiles. There will come a day, when self-driving automobiles will have proven themselves to be significantly safer than a human-driven car.

When that day happens, the insurance industry will begin ratcheting up the rates for you to drive a car. They will promote the idea that humans are unsafe.

The insurance industry will force everyone to shift to self-driving cars.

In that shift, we will also be forced to shift to ride sharing.

If you own your own vehicle, you are not driving it 24 hours a day. Most hours of the day your car sits, unoccupied and unused. Those hours are wasted. For every thousand adults we simply do not require a thousand automobiles.

With a ride-service you can pre-schedule when you want to be picked up, and where to go. A vehicle will show up at that time and off you go.

A thousand adults could easily function with only 500 automobiles on the road.

This will result in a lot fewer automobiles in existence.
A huge mountain of whipped cream topping the edict eliminating the very concept of individual freedom. It might sell well in Portland and Seattle to those born in this sorry century, but will crash and burn everywhere else with everyone else. Count on it.

Old 04-05-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How are electric cars better? People talk about how nations are being controlled and influenced by the governments of hostile nations over resources like oil and gas, well, some very unfriendly and even hostile nations are sitting on top of most of the world's precious rare earth metals. This is not a new problem, and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.
Are we not dependent on foreign entites for a lot of our energy resources? Why is the extraction and disposal of battery products an issue for the growth of the EV market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies