Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DO we have a booming economy?
Yes 21 15.56%
No 114 84.44%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 06:28 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,053,322 times

Advertisements

Well, the restaurants and malls are packed, lots of expensive cars on the road, houses in my area selling within days of listing. I know nothing about economics but people in my area, which is not a wealthy area, do not appear to be economically depressed.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:32 PM

26,540 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Well, the restaurants and malls are packed, lots of expensive cars on the road, houses in my area selling within days of listing. I know nothing about economics but people in my area, which is not a wealthy area, do not appear to be economically depressed.
Restaurants were still busy in 2008 and 2009 where I lived. I guess the Great Financial Crisis was a booming economy.

Blackrock buying up rentals and bidding up houses are pinching the bottom half from buying homes now that mortgage rates are creeping back up. The 30 year mortgage interest rate has doubled under Biden.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/c...priced-out.amp

Old 04-08-2022, 09:09 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,747,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Inflation will slow down over the next couple months (it already is)
It is not. Core PCE inflation hit a 40 year high in the most recent report.

https://www.bea.gov/news/2022/person...-february-2022

Old 04-08-2022, 09:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,747,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
The impact of rate hikes have not been felt yet. I hope the economy doesn't tank but we're about to enter a period with the most constrictive monetary policy in at least 15 years, possibly 40 years.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:31 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I sure don't want to go back to the time of Trump when chain stores were shutting down in my small rural town, such as JC Penney, Payless and Pier 1, for starters. And then came 2020 with all the covid restrictions and no concerts. And for a time no bars and restaurants open.

I don't live from paycheck to paycheck, so the inflation doesn't have a major impact on me. Shortages are worse. My local Wal-Mart is having trouble keeping dry cat food by Purina in stock.

You'll have to take Covid up with the CCP and Fauci.

Last edited by momonkey; 04-08-2022 at 10:07 PM..

Old 04-08-2022, 10:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The yield curve inverted. This is a sign that investors fear recession and is a highly accurate predictor of recession within a year.

The amount of US families living pay check to pay check is on the rise and is at 64%. Booming?

69% of US adults say the economy is in poor shape. Booming.

The employment rate is still below the prepandemic level.

The same people who say that inflation will go away are the same people that said we wouldn't have inflation, that there was no inflation, that the inflation was transitory, that the inflation was small, that the inflation was Putin's fault.
The economy is terrible because a Democrat is in the White House. Economic statistics are irrelevant.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 9,179,531 times
Quote:
Restaurants were still busy in 2008 and 2009 where I lived. I guess the Great Financial Crisis was a booming economy.

Blackrock buying up rentals and bidding up houses are pinching the bottom half from buying homes now that mortgage rates are creeping back up. The 30 year mortgage interest rate has doubled under Biden.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/c...priced-out.amp
Since you’re an educated person, you know that the President of the United States sets interest rates, and not the Federal Reserve.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:18 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,799,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The economy is terrible because a Democrat is in the White House. Economic statistics are irrelevant.
Well....democrats have repeatedly shown that they don't understand economics.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:39 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
The yield curve inverted. This is a sign that investors fear recession and is a highly accurate predictor of recession within a year.

The amount of US families living pay check to pay check is on the rise and is at 64%. Booming?

69% of US adults say the economy is in poor shape. Booming.

The employment rate is still below the prepandemic level.

The same people who say that inflation will go away are the same people that said we wouldn't have inflation, that there was no inflation, that the inflation was transitory, that the inflation was small, that the inflation was Putin's fault.
The yield curve is not a reliable indicator especially in this environment. It is inverted because of near term inflationary pressures that are not likely to continue as the effects of the pandemic wash out of the economy. My fear is that the Fed is going to go too far and bring on a recession, but even that is a remote possibility.

Public opinion is almost entirely driven by high gas and food prices and opinion is not being reflected in behavior. People are spending like drunken sailors which is not indicative of a fear of recession and job losses.

The job recovery from pre-pandemic levels is very close to 100% and total jobs will surpass that level in a matter of weeks. The main problem has been a lack of qualified/willing people to employ, not available positions.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:03 AM

26,540 posts, read 15,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
It is not. Core PCE inflation hit a 40 year high in the most recent report.

https://www.bea.gov/news/2022/person...-february-2022
You are right, but it isn't Ponderosa's fault for being wrong. It was (falsely) reported that inflation had cooled off.

Yep, the same people who said:

There would be no inflation. Wrong.

There is no inflation. Wrong.

The inflation is transitory. Wrong.

The inflation is small. Wrong.

The inflation is cooling off. Wrong.

The grocery store inflation is due to greedy companies. Wrong.

The inflation is due to Putin. Wrong, but he has made it worse.

The ruble will collapse. Wrong, it has already fully recovered.

Russia will be forced to sell their gold. Wrong, they are buying gold.

Why do people keep listening to these clowns?

P.S. if you measure inflation like we did in the 1980s, this is the worst inflation in 75 years. Or conversely if you measure inflation back then like we do today it is also the worst inflation in 75 years. No matter how you measure it, if you use the same scale it is worse today than the dreaded stagflation 40+ years ago.

Today's inflation is by all objective measures WORSE than the late 70s and early 80s. The mainstream propaganda media won't tell you that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.