Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,112 times

Advertisements

The Post & Courier recently put forth an amazing article showing the economic boom that Charleston is experiencing, from tourism, manufacture, software/internet systems, etc. It's a great read, I'd be happy to forward it to anyone out of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM

123 posts, read 571,127 times
That was in Friday's P&C. Good article. I think anyone with questions about Charleston's economy should read it. The article highlights the economic diversity and growth of the tri-county area, in comparison to similar sized metro areas.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,009 times
I wish the state would build more roads or widen the ones we have to handle all this growth we are having. That's one of the things that turns me off about the growth. The other is the builder's that are building the new neighborhoods are doing clear cuts and cutting down all the beautiful tree's we have.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM

I know little about the business of developers. My thoughts, however, are in the form of a question. Wouldn't it be a perfect world if developing infrastructure could keep pace with building new communities? One thing that scares me is that when you lay down too much concrete, the water has nowhere to go. This has been a major problem in the suburbs of western cities, particularly when mountain snows melt in spring. I wonder if this is a problem in low-lying cities like Charleston when it rains during high tide. I hope that along with all this growth in the tri-county area that they're also upgrading the drainage systems.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:46 AM

They are, in the areas that need them most. Byrnes Down drainage systems were horrendous, the entire neighborhood would flood with a heavy rain. It's been remedied, finally, but the neighborhood's been around since the 50's.

Other areas to avoid during a torrential rain during high tide would be many roads in downtown Charleston. It's not unusual to see 2-3feet of standing water for a few hours during a heavy rainstorm in some parts of downtown Charleston. Most locals know which roads/intersections to avoid during the rain though, and it only takes a few hours to drain off completely.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Other areas to avoid during a torrential rain during high tide would be many roads in downtown Charleston. It's not unusual to see 2-3feet of standing water for a few hours during a heavy rainstorm in some parts of downtown Charleston. Most locals know which roads/intersections to avoid during the rain though, and it only takes a few hours to drain off completely.
There was a story last week in the P&C about the city getting some funding from the feds to help remedy the drainage problem on the peninsula. The drainage issue in the city is apparently an ongoing issue at election time as well.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:24 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,614 times
Hi DJ. I'd be interested in reading that article. Do you happen to have the link?

Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Yep, PM'ed it to you.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM

528 posts, read 1,513,614 times
Thanks so much!

Old 10-03-2007, 06:35 PM

37 posts, read 196,532 times
Quote:
I wish the state would build more roads or widen the ones we have to handle all this growth we are having. That's one of the things that turns me off about the growth. The other is the builder's that are building the new neighborhoods are doing clear cuts and cutting down all the beautiful tree's we have.
Let me understand - you wish the state would build more roads, but you don't want them to cut down the trees?

Quote:
One thing that scares me is that when you lay down too much concrete, the water has nowhere to go.
Development these days accounts for stormwater management. Some techniques are visible (stormwater management ponds) and some aren't (underground stormwater management structures). But this is old stuff. Governments are now going to start requiring the "greening" of construction. U.S. Green Building Council
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area