Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Inflation due to Businesses being Greedy?
No: Facts are the Producer Price Index is up MORE than inflation and we've had RECORD Money Creation 74 80.43%
Yes: because Warren and Psaki told me so. 18 19.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 08:04 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times

Advertisements

The short answer is we are inflating our way out of debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 08:48 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
The short answer is we are inflating our way out of debt.
Timothy Geithner, Secretary of the Treasury under Obama, said back in 2009 that we didn't need to worry about the national debt, because inflation would eat it away.

Not sure I like the answer, but I appreciate the honesty.

Lots of that debt is to help old people stay retired comfortably via bond investments in pensions, 401Ks, and IRAs.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:32 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
But in the same breath, anyone who thinks Biden started the horrible inflation while ignoring Trump increasing the money supply by leaps and bounds is a moron. Not that you are saying one way or the other.

Republicans need to clean their own house, it's filthy.
none of that QE affected inflation until Biden pronounced his ARP.

The CARES Act was overwhelmingly approved by politicians on both sides in an emergency. Even then, deficit hawks swore it would ruin us, and inflation would go nuts. Perhaps by sheer luck that didn't happen. What we know is GDP dropped by ~2T in the middle of '20, and CARES was 2T. By the time ARP came around, GDP had already recovered.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
It's not just profits that are at record highs, it is profit margins.
https://www.axios.com/profit-margins...a0ead39ba.html

So while yes, costs to produce are also rising. They are taking in a bigger percentage profit on top of that.

I'm not saying that's the cause of inflation, but companies are indeed making more with less in this environment.
well, perhaps a look at what companies are in the S&P500, and their lines of business and how their profit margin looks would be of value.

Companies like Amazon, Apple, Google, and yes Wal-Mart and Kroger. Are the first 3 enjoying record margins? I'm sure they probably are. Are Wal-Mart and Kroger - the places that sell the "necessities" that consumers buy daily - making the 12%+ net income? No, they are not.

Amazon, Apple and Google can easily afford to pay their already highly-paid workers. They don't have to go to $20/hr (except Amazon in the warehouse). Amazon doesn't care if the goods it sells go up in wholesale price, because they just pass that straight on to the consumer.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If inflation is not at least in part due to greedy corporations, then how are many of them posting record profits.

If producer price was the only source of inflation then the profit margins should be the same.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune...inflation/amp/
another look at Amazon...

Quote:
Amazon’s AWS segment generated net sales of $17.8 billion and operating income of $5.3 billion in Q4 FY 2021. Net sales grew 39.5% and operating income rose 48.5% compared with the year-ago quarter. Although net sales from AWS are below net sales for the North America segment and International segments, AWS’s operating income is substantially higher. The AWS segment accounts for about 13% of total net sales. Because the other two segments posted operating losses in the fourth quarter, AWS accounts for all of the company’s operating income.

Amazon controls about a third of the global cloud market, substantially more than its next closest competitor. AWS’s biggest rivals are Microsoft Corp.’s (MSFT) Azure and Alphabet Inc.’s (GOOGL) Google Cloud.
see, to many people, they think Amazon and they just think of online shopping, fulfillment warehouses, and packages arriving at their doors. They think of everybody who suddenly was ordering everything online and are just sure that Amazon is a greedy corporation making all kinds of cash from their purchases.

Getting them to understand the reality - it's the growth in AWS that fuels the income statement - is often hard.

Old 04-09-2022, 11:56 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
AMZN marketplace for third party sellers is profitable

Old 04-09-2022, 05:23 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Inflation is NOT from Greedy businesses as Blueanon folks like Liz "Pocahontas" Warren and Jen "Orange Woman" Psaki claim.
I would suggest some producers were pushing the envelope on Price Elasticity to recoup losses during the stupid useless unnecessary shut-downs during STUPID-19, but now they're getting slammed with higher transportation costs, including higher fuel prices.

Quote:
(1) Producer Price Indexes have risen faster than Consumer Price Indexes. That is, it is costing manufacturers more to make their products than the growth it costs consumers to buy it. In 2021, producers ate most of their rising costs and they can no longer continue to do this.
That points back to pushing the envelope on Price Elasticity.

Quote:
(2) Since February, M2 Money supply increased by 41%, but the GDP only increased by 9%. This means that more dollars are chasing the same amount of products as before, which is an inflationary pressure. China, which did not create trillions out of thin air during the pandemic, only has 0.9% inflation.

I reject that because money velocity is flat.

Some of you might remember about 8-10 years ago I said that starting around 2025, you would experience mild hyper-Monetary Inflation worse than the 1970s but not as bad as the 1920s, which I pegged running between 15%-25% annually.

Guess what's gonna happen when velocity takes off.
Attached Thumbnails
Inflation is NOT due to Greedy Corperations-screenshot-2022-04-09-19-19  

Old 04-09-2022, 06:02 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
The argument isn't whether it was needed or not. Fact is increasing the money supply leads to inflation. It knows no political boundaries.
Yes, increasing the money supply leads to inflation.

Was it needed? Yes, to move some wealth accomplished by the plandemic. Those little stimulus checks that came to citizens were the tip of the iceberg. I think burial assistance ran into the billions, as did those special payments for anyone that might have had COVID when they had their stroke or heart attack (including illegal aliens for all of this as they don't ask "status"). Then, businesses got stimulus checks to offset being shutdown by the government.

Obama tried to crush our economy, but didn't get it done, so now whoever is the puppeteer of brain dead Biden is trying to finish the job. They have to break us to bring in the New World Order, and Obama has had his eye on that for some time.

Don't let them break us! Adapt!

Old 04-09-2022, 07:30 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Timothy Geithner, Secretary of the Treasury under Obama, said back in 2009 that we didn't need to worry about the national debt, because inflation would eat it away.

Not sure I like the answer, but I appreciate the honesty.

Lots of that debt is to help old people stay retired comfortably via bond investments in pensions, 401Ks, and IRAs.

That is Paul Krugman at the NY Times excuse for ballooning the debt. I guess if we get hyper inflation and prices rise 1000% a year. Then the debt won't look so bad.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:37 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I reject that because money velocity is flat.
The statistics I gave are from the government. Remember, M2 money velocity is measured per individual dollar unit not total dollars flowing. So hypothetically if the velocity remains the same but money supply doubles, you still got twice as much money flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is Paul Krugman at the NY Times excuse for ballooning the debt. I guess if we get hyper inflation and prices rise 1000% a year. Then the debt won't look so bad.
That would be really painful. Neither party has elected adults in decades IMHO and that is why we have this potential mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies