Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2022, 09:46 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's more about frustration than obsession. And it has nothing to do with Floyd. Here we are in 2022 still dealing with racism.
We are still dealing with racism because there are those who dare not let it go. I thought we'd made real progress by 2008 and I was incredibly hopeful that the election of a man who was half black would put an end to the nonsense, but instead it because worse because of actions Obama took

Quote:
When my daughter moved into her house a few years ago, there was a KKK notice on her door saying when their next meeting was.
Where does your daughter live? Paint me skeptical. I've not heard of a resurgence of the Klan anyplace. Where there are groups I don't think they recruit by door hangers. The last number I saw for TOTAL membership of the KKK was an estimated 3,000 people spread over 22 states. Hardly any kind of a movement at all. Certainly not the Klan of the early 60's and before.

Quote:
Affirmative action and anti discrimination laws are all well and good but that really doesn't solve discrimination. It's individuals who are racist.
The current racism I see is coming from the Left, where they put everyone in a box according to their race. It is the first thing they see. Look at Biden, he pledged to appoint a "black" woman to the bench. That is straight up racist. So what if there has never been a "black" woman on the bench. There has never been an Asian of either sex, there has never been a Hispanic man and Hispanic men far outnumber African American women. But for Democrats it is crucial to hang on to every African American vote they can, hence the pandering.

Republicans were not advancing Janice Rogers-Brown or Miguel Estrada towards the Supreme Court because of their race and ethnicity, but because of their judicial philosophy. Not a single national news network called the Democrats racist when for two years they filibustered these highly qualified jurists.

That major liberal universities like Harvard and Yale feel it necessary to discriminate against Asians based solely on their race tells you a lot where racism exists in America today. And don't even get me started on segregated dorms, segregated dances, segregated graduations and the like.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:53 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
We are still dealing with racism because there are those who dare not let it go. I thought we'd made real progress by 2008 and I was incredibly hopeful that the election of a man who was half black would put an end to the nonsense, but instead it because worse because of actions Obama took

Where does your daughter live? Paint me skeptical. I've not heard of a resurgence of the Klan anyplace. Where there are groups I don't think they recruit by door hangers. The last number I saw for TOTAL membership of the KKK was an estimated 3,000 people spread over 22 states. Hardly any kind of a movement at all. Certainly not the Klan of the early 60's and before.

The current racism I see is coming from the Left, where they put everyone in a box according to their race. It is the first thing they see. Look at Biden, he pledged to appoint a "black" woman to the bench. That is straight up racist. So what if there has never been a "black" woman on the bench. There has never been an Asian of either sex, there has never been a Hispanic man and Hispanic men far outnumber African American women. But for Democrats it is crucial to hang on to every African American vote they can, hence the pandering.

Republicans were not advancing Janice Rogers-Brown or Miguel Estrada towards the Supreme Court because of their race and ethnicity, but because of their judicial philosophy. Not a single national news network called the Democrats racist when for two years they filibustered these highly qualified jurists.

That major liberal universities like Harvard and Yale feel it necessary to discriminate against Asians based solely on their race tells you a lot where racism exists in America today. And don't even get me started on segregated dorms, segregated dances, segregated graduations and the like.
Yes. And if a white person says they don't care about skin color, they are accused of unconscious racism. If you are not an anti-racist, they call you a racist. You must feel guilty and obsessed about race -- well, at least virtue signal that you are. Then go on about your successful professional class life. And above all else, don't actually make friends with any poor blacks.

Old 04-07-2022, 10:59 AM

6,670 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If you are not an anti-racist, they call you a racist. You must feel guilty and obsessed about race -- well, at least virtue signal that you are.
Silence IS Violence, bro!

Gonna point at you and scream like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are you actually open to science and evidence on this topic though? This...

... tells me that, like most mainstream conservatives, you dismiss out of hand all evidence that inherent biological differences factor in differing outcomes.
Could there be an inherent biological difference that leads to discrimination? A racism gene, if you will?

Old 04-07-2022, 11:11 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Anti-racism seems to have become an obsession in the US, starting right after the George Floyd case. No one can deny that Chauvin somehow caused, or contributed to, Floyd's death, since a video shows him holding Floyd down even after witnesses could see he was dying. No one thinks it's ok for a police officer to be negligent and unaware of his suspect's condition. Chauvin was obviously guilty of something.

But hardly anyone seems to have thought carefully about WHAT exactly Chauvin was guilty of. The instant assumption was that Chauvin was motivated by racism. There is no evidence for that, no actual reason to believe it, but it has been assumed. And the assumptions went beyond Chauvin to police officers in general, to the society in general. It was decided that racism is rampant and systemic in our society.

All this came immediately from the George Floyd case. The obsession with racism pervades our society now, and is a major contributor to the political divisiveness. The upper classes and the more educated Americans have become, in general, progressive Democrats, and anti-racists. The working class, the Trump supporters, reacts against the obsessive anti-racism, and is accused of white supremacy.

It is true that American blacks have less money, on average, and are more likely to be convicted of violent crimes. There are poor black neighborhoods that are infested with drugs and gangs.

The assumption is made that blacks being under-represented in the higher classes, and over-represented in the lower classes, is a result of systemic racism.

But is that true, do we know that? Could there be other reasons for the inequality? We now have decades of affirmative action and anti-discrimination laws.

Of course there still is racism. Every kind of discrimination exists, because it is inevitable that people will make generalizations and form stereotypes. Progressive Democrats turn their natural need to hate against rural Americans, the less educated working class, and Trump supporters. The need to hate and blame will never go away, it just shifts its targets.

How much real racism is left in America, and does it account for racial inequality? I think real racism has been slowly dying out, since it was based on the now debunked theory of eugenics.

I think the obsessive anti-racism we are now seeing in education and academic settings, in big corporations, in academic journals, in government, social media, etc., is just a phase, an ultimately meaningless craze. Maybe an outlet for the frustrations and fears generated by the pandemic. Or possibly a strategy by the ruling elites for keeping the American public divided and distracted.
Or a money grab. All these equity programs are causing a huge amount of money to be sloshing around them. The elites get their cut. Not many people with a brain think they really care about equity.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:13 AM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
It's more about frustration than obsession. And it has nothing to do with Floyd. Here we are in 2022 still dealing with racism. When my daughter moved into her house a few years ago, there was a KKK notice on her door saying when their next meeting was. Affirmative action and anti discrimination laws are all well and good but that really doesn't solve discrimination. It's individuals who are racist.
Sure there was.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:24 AM

6,670 posts, read 2,975,051 times
Quote:
I think the obsessive anti-racism we are now seeing in education and academic settings, in big corporations, in academic journals, in government, social media, etc., is just a phase, an ultimately meaningless craze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Or a money grab. All these equity programs are causing a huge amount of money to be sloshing around them. The elites get their cut. Not many people with a brain think they really care about equity.

I think the writing on the wall could be seen back in the late 90's.

You had all these woke SJW college courses taught by aging liberals. So many flocked to these classes for an easy grade. So many SJW type degrees churned out.

Come graduation time where they gonna go?

They basically needed to create a market for these degrees to justify themselves and pay off that debt( which they are trying to weasel out of anyway).

Look at all these programs. These DEI meetings and Diversity professionals that show up to corporations to scold the whities. They don't come for free. They getting paid. They getting tax dollars to fund these 'training' programs and write off the rest.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:41 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That seems... unlikely.
You are more polite than I am.

I'll call it a lie or hoax straight out.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:45 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
"anti racist" is another made up prase that sounds good to the ignorant ear but is really a trojan horse for all sorts of ridiculous and dangerous laws and ideologies.

The old joke was if you want to pass a new law or bill put "children" or "seniors" in the title, no matter what the text actually says, becaue people are too dumb to actually read whats actually going on. And if you want to vilify something call it by a name that has nothing to do with it but sounds bad to the ignorant ear. I give you the "don't say gay" bill as current proof...lol

Old 04-07-2022, 11:47 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"anti racist" is another made up prase that sounds good to the ignorant ear but is really a trojan horse for all sorts of ridiculous and dangerous laws and ideologies.

The old joke was if you want to pass a new law or bill put "children" or "seniors" in the title, no matter what the text actually says, becaue people are too dumb to actually read what they are voting on. I give you the "don't say gay" bill as current proof...lol
Jonah Goldberg wrote a whole thing on the "Fuzzy Kittens for Orphans Act" law making trick. You could put actual genocide in a bill with that name, and it would pass both chambers of Congress by 75-80% margins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies