Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2022, 09:00 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And it would be very simple for PP to decouple it's "family planning services" from its "abortion services."
It does.

Old 04-22-2022, 09:03 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It does.
They don’t.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:19 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What's not clear?

We don't know if she was "practicing medicine without a license" or whether she helped someone obtain an abortion by other means.

So, it depends on what the phrase "helped get an abortion" means in this particular context.

Is that understandable for you now? Do I need to make it even simpler for you?

Awful harsh for someone that just fell face-first into a steaming pile of half-truths and unsupported implications.

Happen to have a link to the posts where you redeemed your credibility?

Old 04-22-2022, 11:44 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Abortion has been around forever. Making laws trying to stop it is pointless because no law will end it.

Old 04-23-2022, 04:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Abortion has been around forever. Making laws trying to stop it is pointless because no law will end it.
I guess we should end all rape laws, too. Since it's been around forever. No point in trying to reduce the number of rapes.

idiot logic.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:20 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Agreed, 100%. Making laws to stop it will just drive it underground and make it unsafe. And rich people will just go out of the country to get their abortions.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
I guess we should end all rape laws, too. Since it's been around forever. No point in trying to reduce the number of rapes.

idiot logic.
In other words, you quite passionately want laws passed to ban all abortions except perhaps when a doctor determines it is needed to save the life of the mother. Surely, doing that isn't idiot logic to you. However, if I have mischaracterized you on how you feel on that issue, then say so.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In other words, you quite passionately want laws passed to ban all abortions except perhaps when a doctor determines it is needed to save the life of the mother. Surely, doing that isn't idiot logic to you. However, if I have mischaracterized you on how you feel on that issue, then say so.
Another example of posting a scenario, claiming I believe it, and then asking me to defend the scenario YOU created.

This is why no one responds to your posts anymore.

Old 04-24-2022, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Agreed, 100%. Making laws to stop it will just drive it underground and make it unsafe. And rich people will just go out of the country to get their abortions.
Third time I am posting this. Not one response. Quotes are from those immediately and heavily involved in the major organizations in the abortion movement/industry. Working as executives at Planned Parenthood, NARAL and the Guttmacher Institute.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/how-...oe-v-wade.html

Stanley Henshaw, who from 1979 to 2013 researched abortion statistics at the Guttmacher Institute [associated directly with PP], which favors abortion rights, said he agreed with Tietze's assessment in 1969.

"In the 1960s, the officially recorded number of deaths from illegal induced abortion was under 300 per year. While there were undoubtedly other unreported abortion deaths, it is unlikely that the actual number was over 1,000. The figure of 5,000 to 10,000 is reasonable for the 1930s, when there were probably more abortions and less effective treatment of complications," he said. "In my opinion, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, women would turn to relatively safe medications that can be purchased over the Internet. There would be some deaths but probably not as many as there were in the 1960s."

https://secularprolife.org/2019/03/l...t-save-womens/

Here's a quote from the medical director of PP.

Mary S. Calderone, then medical director of Planned Parenthood, discussed illegal abortions in a 1960 article in the American Journal of Public Health:

Abortion is no longer a dangerous procedure. This applies not just to therapeutic abortions as performed in hospitals but also to so-called illegal abortions as done by physicians. In 1957 there were only 260 deaths in the whole country attributed to abortions of any kind. In New York City in 1921 there were 144 abortion deaths. In 1951 there were only 15; and, while the abortion death rate was going down so strikingly in that 30-year period, we know what happened to the population and the birth rate. Two corollary factors must be mentioned here: first, chemotherapy and antibiotics have come in, benefiting all surgical procedures as well as abortion. Second, and even more important, the conference estimated that 90 percent of all illegal abortions are presently being done by physicians. Call them what you will, abortionists or anything else, they are still physicians, trained as such; and many of them are in good standing in their communities. They must do a pretty good job if the death rate is as low as it is… abortion, whether therapeutic or illegal, is in the main no longer dangerous.

So ... how did they get from 144-300 deaths annually ... to >10,000 deaths annually? Rhetorical of course. This is how:

Dr. Bernard Nathanson was a former abortionist turned pro-life activist who co-founded NARAL, a pro-abortion organization that is still active today. He helped come up with pro-abortion talking points. In his 1977 book Aborting America, he wrote about the way NARAL lied about illegal abortion deaths:

How many deaths were we talking about when abortion was illegal? In NARAL., we generally emphasized the drama of the individual case, not the mass statistics, but when we spoke of the latter it was always “5,000 to 10,000 deaths a year.” I confess that I knew the figures were totally false, and I suppose the others did too if they stopped to think of it. But in the “morality” of our revolution, it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest statistics? The overriding concern was to get the laws eliminated, and anything within reason that had to be done was permissible.

Old 04-24-2022, 06:57 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Third time I am posting this. Not one response. Quotes are from those immediately and heavily involved in the major organizations in the abortion movement/industry. Working as executives at Planned Parenthood, NARAL and the Guttmacher Institute.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/how-...oe-v-wade.html

Stanley Henshaw, who from 1979 to 2013 researched abortion statistics at the Guttmacher Institute [associated directly with PP], which favors abortion rights, said he agreed with Tietze's assessment in 1969.

"In the 1960s, the officially recorded number of deaths from illegal induced abortion was under 300 per year. While there were undoubtedly other unreported abortion deaths, it is unlikely that the actual number was over 1,000. The figure of 5,000 to 10,000 is reasonable for the 1930s, when there were probably more abortions and less effective treatment of complications," he said. "In my opinion, if Roe v. Wade were overturned, women would turn to relatively safe medications that can be purchased over the Internet. There would be some deaths but probably not as many as there were in the 1960s."

https://secularprolife.org/2019/03/l...t-save-womens/

Here's a quote from the medical director of PP.

Mary S. Calderone, then medical director of Planned Parenthood, discussed illegal abortions in a 1960 article in the American Journal of Public Health:

Abortion is no longer a dangerous procedure. This applies not just to therapeutic abortions as performed in hospitals but also to so-called illegal abortions as done by physicians. In 1957 there were only 260 deaths in the whole country attributed to abortions of any kind. In New York City in 1921 there were 144 abortion deaths. In 1951 there were only 15; and, while the abortion death rate was going down so strikingly in that 30-year period, we know what happened to the population and the birth rate. Two corollary factors must be mentioned here: first, chemotherapy and antibiotics have come in, benefiting all surgical procedures as well as abortion. Second, and even more important, the conference estimated that 90 percent of all illegal abortions are presently being done by physicians. Call them what you will, abortionists or anything else, they are still physicians, trained as such; and many of them are in good standing in their communities. They must do a pretty good job if the death rate is as low as it is… abortion, whether therapeutic or illegal, is in the main no longer dangerous.

So ... how did they get from 144-300 deaths annually ... to >10,000 deaths annually? Rhetorical of course. This is how:

Dr. Bernard Nathanson was a former abortionist turned pro-life activist who co-founded NARAL, a pro-abortion organization that is still active today. He helped come up with pro-abortion talking points. In his 1977 book Aborting America, he wrote about the way NARAL lied about illegal abortion deaths:

How many deaths were we talking about when abortion was illegal? In NARAL., we generally emphasized the drama of the individual case, not the mass statistics, but when we spoke of the latter it was always “5,000 to 10,000 deaths a year.” I confess that I knew the figures were totally false, and I suppose the others did too if they stopped to think of it. But in the “morality” of our revolution, it was a useful figure, widely accepted, so why go out of our way to correct it with honest statistics? The overriding concern was to get the laws eliminated, and anything within reason that had to be done was permissible.
So it’s ok these women died because the number isn’t what some claim? FYI even one death is too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies