Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 08:58 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times

Advertisements

Well! This guy pleads guilty and promises to name names.
Quote:
A North Carolina man who was one of the leaders of the far-right Proud Boys as they assaulted the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, pleaded guilty Friday to two felony counts with a minimum sentence of nearly six years in prison and agreed to cooperate against other defendants in hopes of getting a lighter sentence.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...oud-boys-jan6/

or
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/08/10916...erate-with-doj

The feds are calling Donohoe one of the leaders of the Proud Boys. Now they have him and one of the Oath Keepers admitting guilt. His plea admits conspiring to plan an attack on Congress and to attack law officers.

And the WY GOP, in criticizing Liz Cheney, said January 6 was "instigated by Antifa and BLM radicals."

Old 04-10-2022, 08:09 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,311,191 times
on topic ...

Quote:
As early as Jan. 4, prosecutors said, “Donohoe was aware that members” of the Ministry of Self Defense leadership “were discussing the possibility of storming the Capitol” and “believed that storming the Capitol would achieve the group’s goal of stopping the government from carrying out the transfer of presidential power. Donohoe understood that storming the Capitol would be illegal.”

Donohoe had not planned to be in Washington on Jan. 6, the statement of offense said. But after Tarrio was arrested on Jan. 4 for burning a Black Lives Matter banner stolen from a local church, Donohoe decided to travel to Washington because he “believed that Tarrio’s arrest could create a leadership void” for the Ministry of Self Defense, according to the filing, which was signed by Donohoe.

On the morning of Jan. 6, the Proud Boys marched away from the Ellipse before Trump began his speech and did not return. They went to the Capitol shortly after 10 a.m., the statement said, and Donohoe posted that his group numbered 200 to 300 Proud Boys members.
I certainly support the full application of law and punishment to any who conspired, and any who assaulted Capitol police or DC police, or destroyed property in the Capitol building.

I haven't seen many if any who don't feel the same way.

I have seen some say "Why didn't the Feds treat the BLM rioters equally?" But I haven't seen any say none of them should face justice.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:17 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
First, I don’t support actual violence at the Capitol, so for those who did things that are worthy of punishment, they should have to face the consequences, even though our BLM and Antifa-types received sympathy from folks like Kamala Harris rather than punishment for actions that were much worse.

However, it’s interesting/amusing to me that I hear more about “Proud Boys” from Democrats and the left. Sort of like how the left talks incessantly about QAnon as well even though I don’t know any Republicans who really follow or know much about it. I didn’t even know that this group existed until after the January 6 riot. But, given the way Democrats follow Proud Boys closely, you’d think that they think that every Republican or right-leaning person knows what it is and/or supports them.

Old 04-10-2022, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
But, given the way Democrats follow Proud Boys closely, you’d think that they think that every Republican or right-leaning person knows what it is and/or supports them.
I think that Trump, who just about accepted and thanked them for their support in the debates, gave at least the Proud Boys credibility as a GOP entity.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:04 AM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think that Trump, who just about accepted and thanked them for their support in the debates, gave at least the Proud Boys credibility as a GOP entity.
People (other than Democrats) don’t hang on to every word Trump says. I’ll have to go back and look again, but I vaguely remember this comment and I’m pretty sure Democrats took it out of context.

Either way, I hear way more about Proud Boys and QAnon from my Democrat friends than I do any Republicans or right-leaning friends.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:52 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
It took you two posts to get there. I was wondering how long it would take.

Trump will always be the main target and they are trying to build the case that he is the top of the hierarchy... which he isn't. But why would the truth matter?

Proud Boys are a toxic mix of radicals and FBI informants.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
People (other than Democrats) don’t hang on to every word Trump says. I’ll have to go back and look again, but I vaguely remember this comment and I’m pretty sure Democrats took it out of context.
Check "Stand down and stand by" in the debates. People shouldn't believe what he says in the debates (between his interruptions)? That's a new thought.

Old 04-10-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Proud Boys are a toxic mix of radicals and FBI informants.
But Trump sure accepts their patronage, huh? Weren't they 'security' for Trump's guy Stone on Jan 6?
Quote:
But, given the way Democrats follow Proud Boys closely, you’d think that they think that every Republican or right-leaning person knows what it is and/or supports them.
How many Democrats have any inkling of or follow antifa and BLM? It seems that no political discussion can happen on this forum without the conservatives swinging those names around like a dead cat.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:00 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,820 times
Amazing at the amount of pearls that were clutched because of some unauthorized visitors to the US capital. Compare that to 8 months of constant riots and mayhem during the summer of mostly peaceful protests and how that criminal behavior was somehow justified.

Old 04-11-2022, 03:46 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times
the proud boys and their 4 members could have toppled our democracy and installed Trump as president and we can’t have that. Didnt they know that China buying our politicians is the only way that is acceptable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies