Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 07:52 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
This was during a time when expand and conquer was the norm. The tribes were doing it to each other. There was conflict all over the world over land. What was remarkable was how we did try to barter and work with them to remain peaceful. You can’t judge people from the past by today's standards. No one would pass that test.
That poster also refuses to acknowledge that the Amerindians committed genocide among themselves and the settlers to. He just wants to attack whitey and this entire country for a long ago past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 07:56 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My wife and I recently moved from an area that we both had lived in for pretty much our entire lives (we are in our 50's). For us, it was to get away from a declining area and into one that would hopefully be going up in value.
Same thing we did, even though it meant a new mortgage. Our current home has tripled in value in 3 years. But we won't sell it so we won't gain anything.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:58 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
Spin it and justify it all you want. The early settlers, our forefathers killed the indigenous population.
And again, the only reason I bring it up is to highlight the violence in the country, past and present.
No spin at all you just refuse to acknowledge the whole past and the Amerindians genocide against each other and the European settlers.

There isn't a country around that hasn't had a violent past and many still do today.

When you leaving the U.S.? Go find a country that is more to your choosing.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:01 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've had to think about how I would fit in as well. I grew up in a place where I had a hard time fitting in. I lived in a middle class neighborhood, but the school I went to had a decent size "redneck" constituency. Plenty of kids who liked flying the Confederate flag. It also drew from some public housing. Let's just say there were some racial tensions. Being nerdy, bookish (although I had some athleticism too), I could relate to alot of people I was around.

I couldn't live in the ghetto. I grew up middle class, bookish, and there's not a ghetto bone in my body. I'd stand.

I would struggle to live in a place where alot of people fly Confederate flags. Being Black, I absolutely hate the Confederate flag.

Uppity and snooty areas, well, I don't know how to feel. I've had a few bad experiences with the snooty types. Mostly the passive-aggressiveness and uppity attitude. On the flip side, I notice I run into less hostility (at least not open hostility). I remember working a sales rep (I'm never doing that again. I don't have the personality to do it). I would get sent to some neighborhoods that were quite posh. I got to see what some people had, the kinds of homes they had. I started thinking "I want this. Maybe someday I can get this". But there are times I wonder if I would be out of place.

Then again, I've dealt with being out of place before.
I understand the hate for the confederate flag. A few people here fly one occasionally. This was a small border state town with no slaves. The North burned it to the ground except for 5 houses. To this day, the animosity for the north is still here but not towards black people.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:46 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I understand the hate for the confederate flag. A few people here fly one occasionally. This was a small border state town with no slaves. The North burned it to the ground except for 5 houses. To this day, the animosity for the north is still here but not towards black people.
I grew up in an area where several people flew Confederate flags. It has gone through changes. However, when I was living there, I didn't like it. I had problems living there. Dealt with racism while living there. This was in Georgia.

The weird thing is, Missouri is not a southern state.

Old 04-21-2022, 04:48 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
My wife and I recently moved from an area that we both had lived in for pretty much our entire lives (we are in our 50's). For us, it was to get away from a declining area and into one that would hopefully be going up in value.
I was just giving some of the variables involved.

Old 04-21-2022, 05:14 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I grew up in an area where several people flew Confederate flags. It has gone through changes. However, when I was living there, I didn't like it. I had problems living there. Dealt with racism while living there. This was in Georgia.

The weird thing is, Missouri is not a southern state.
Confederate flag flyers are boneheads. Really, mostly just ignorant knuckleheads.
But back to the other thing, I would honestly, given a choice, live in the ghetto over some uppity mid-upper class neighborhood. And I mean that. People with money are some of the most phony and bizarre people on the planet. Very intolerant of anyone not like “them”, and that is across the board regardless of color/creed/etc…
Just very shallow and self absorbed human beings.
There’s definitely an art to finding that place where all, or most of the cards line up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies