Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 11:37 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,030,147 times

Advertisements

More than 80 percent of major metropolitan areas in the United States were actually more segregated in 2019 than they were in 1990. The United States continues to be a place of segregation, not integration.

Racial residential segregation also undermines the possibility of a national community with a sense of shared purpose and common destiny. As the Kerner Commission wrote in its landmark report of 1968, integration is “the only course which explicitly seeks to achieve a single nation” rather than a dual or permanently divided society.

Residents of highly segregated Black and Latinx neighborhoods, including white residents, have lower life expectancies, lower incomes, lower home values and lower educational attainments. Conversely, Black and brown people in integrated or highly segregated white communities have much better life outcomes along these measures.https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...al-ncna1276372

With all this happening, ethnic ghettos which are considered no go zones will grow and the USA will permanently a divided society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 11:49 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,026,658 times
People freely move to where they want to. What would you have done? Force people to move to different areas so that all races are even in cities?

Old 04-13-2022, 11:51 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,311,156 times
While progressives preach equality they are fighting human nature and the addition of class makes the problem worse...given Maslow's hierarchy of needs people on the low end of the income scale are going to worry about survival needs before they reach some enlightened, tolerant, accept everyone state of mind. That state is also hard to achieve if you don't have a healthy social life full of supportive people in place. Basically it takes working up too if you didn't have parents who raised you well and instilled these values young. People tend to like to hang around those with similar value systems that "vibe" at a similar level.

What the left is doing...preaching a victim mentality and oppression narraitive, will do the opposite of what they want to achieve. However there's no easy answer to the problem with cost of living so high in large cities while the pay is so low. Ironically the crime lowers property values and actually makes it affordable in some areas to live.

Last edited by sholomar; 04-14-2022 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-14-2022, 12:09 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,155,727 times
People tend to want to live near people of their own race and economic status. So most segregation is voluntary.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,030,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
While progressives preach equality they are fighting human nature and the addition of class makes the problem worse...given Maslow's hierarchy of needs people on the low end of the income scale are going to worry about survival needs before they reach some enlightened, tolerant, accept everyone state of mind. That state is also hard to achieve if you don't have a healthy social life full of supportive people in place. Basically it takes working up too if you didn't have parents who raised you well and instilled these values young. People tend to like to hang around those with similar value systems that "vibe" at a similar level.

What the left is doing...preaching a victim mentality and oppression narraitive, will do the opposite of what they want to achieve. However there's no easy answer to the problem with cost of living so high in large cities while the pay is so low. Ironically the crime lowers property values and actually makes it affordable in some areas to live.
Well Toronto is classified as the most multicultural city in North America and the safest major city in North America too. However Toronto is a expensive city to live in too.

Sure Canada has it's problems but one thing I have discovered by Canadians is the lack beliefs about the inferiority of other peoples. It is different in the USA, as there is still a common belief that certain people are inferior. Sure there are exceptions but this thing I have noticed between Canadians and Americans I have interacted with.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:01 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,026,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well Toronto is classified as the most multicultural city in North America and the safest major city in North America too. However Toronto is a expensive city to live in too.

Sure Canada has it's problems but one thing I have discovered by Canadians is the lack beliefs about the inferiority of other peoples. It is different in the USA, as there is still a common belief that certain people are inferior. Sure there are exceptions but this thing I have noticed between Canadians and Americans I have interacted with.
There are idiots everywhere, in the US and in Canada. To think there isnt racism in Canada is wrong. However, what does racisms have to do with people living where they want to and contributing to your perceived segregation? Is the government stating that people cant live somewhere based on their race? Are groups of people going around and dragging people out of their houses and forcing them to move somewhere else? If so, lets see it because I certainly havent seen it.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:52 AM

7,425 posts, read 3,567,959 times
it’s easy to find the most segregated neighborhoods. just look to where the wealthy white liberals live. these include your beloved politicians and celebrities

Old 04-14-2022, 03:07 AM

29,855 posts, read 24,959,060 times
I'll bet CNN will find some way to blame this, along with an entire decade's worth of racial strife all on Trump.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:12 AM

17,826 posts, read 13,745,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'll bet CNN will find some way to blame this, along with an entire decade's worth of racial strife all on Trump.
You are doing this wrong. Trump is supposed to live rent free in OUR heads.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:21 AM

29,855 posts, read 24,959,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You are doing this wrong. Trump is supposed to live rent free in OUR heads.

I'm confident he still does. If you want to step up your game though, you can pay and subscribe to CNN+, so you can effectively pay to have him live rent free in your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies