Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 05:31 AM

3,772 posts, read 1,468,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosopher View Post
Yeah, people tend to want to live near people that are like them and share their values and many blacks and Hispanics make poor decisions in life that lead to problems. That's not surprising at all. Also, people need to seriously stop using the term "Latinx", it's stupid and unnecessary.
The word latinx is mainly used by academics and journalists as well as social justice activists. Only a small cohrot of Americans use the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 05:43 AM

26,358 posts, read 13,248,948 times
I find the segregation to be much more prominent in the Democrat-controlled cities, & all sized Dem states, but New England & California moreso. The more Liberal a state is, the more segregated it is...just my opinion & observations from my life's travels.

I have lived in a lot of places, & visited many more. It would be very difficult to convince me otherwise.

I found the South to be the most successfully integrated by far. I lived in the Atlanta & Birmingham metro areas, & all races mixed, & got along well, for the most part. In New England, I saw very few minorities at all...they just do not seem to live there, outside the largest cities. Cali's got lots of minorities, but they are highly segregated into haves, & have nots.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:04 AM

27,831 posts, read 28,953,705 times
Affluent people want to live in an area where their kids attend top-rated schools.

What else do you expect them to do?

Old 04-14-2022, 07:17 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,282,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
There are idiots everywhere, in the US and in Canada. To think there isnt racism in Canada is wrong.
Exactly. Blackface Trudeau, anyone?

Quote:
However, what does racisms have to do with people living where they want to and contributing to your perceived segregation? Is the government stating that people cant live somewhere based on their race? Are groups of people going around and dragging people out of their houses and forcing them to move somewhere else? If so, lets see it because I certainly havent seen it.
Exactly. The segregation is self-selected.

Now we have California trying to argue that its very racially segregated schools should be addressed via reparations. Well, if California is so worried about its segregated schools being so racially oppressive, why won't California Democrats fully support school vouchers so that students aren't trapped in their segregated schools any more? Let the money follow the student and stop trapping kids in failing (and usually racially segregated) public schools.

https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-...hools-n1294301

Old 04-14-2022, 07:34 AM

73,192 posts, read 63,037,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I work in NYC as an inspector, and im also from NYC. I'm sorry to break it to you. Nyc is one of the nation's most segregated cities racially and economically. Yeah you might see a sprinkle of blacks and asians in Manhattan liberal waspy or Jewish elite neighborhoods, but that does not mean integration. Also neighborhoods in NYC are also divided up by politics too. People want to live around their own kind. Even in Queens their is a middle class black that has a higher income bracket than many white neighborhoods in NYC.
Looks like I won't be moving to New York City anytime soon. And this isn't to bash New Yorkers. I just don't know if it would be for me.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:52 AM

63,471 posts, read 29,484,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
More than 80 percent of major metropolitan areas in the United States were actually more segregated in 2019 than they were in 1990. The United States continues to be a place of segregation, not integration.

Racial residential segregation also undermines the possibility of a national community with a sense of shared purpose and common destiny. As the Kerner Commission wrote in its landmark report of 1968, integration is “the only course which explicitly seeks to achieve a single nation” rather than a dual or permanently divided society.

Residents of highly segregated Black and Latinx neighborhoods, including white residents, have lower life expectancies, lower incomes, lower home values and lower educational attainments. Conversely, Black and brown people in integrated or highly segregated white communities have much better life outcomes along these measures.https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...al-ncna1276372

With all this happening, ethnic ghettos which are considered no go zones will grow and the USA will permanently a divided society.
These days it seems like it is minorities/immigrants are the ones that want to remain separate from our main society and don't want to assimilate even though today unlike in the past there is plenty of opportunity for them to do so. It will just continue to divide us along cultural and linguistic lines.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:08 AM

45,674 posts, read 24,159,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
it’s easy to find the most segregated neighborhoods. just look to where the wealthy white liberals live. these include your beloved politicians and celebrities
Curious, where do rich white conservatives live? I

Old 04-14-2022, 10:11 AM

45,674 posts, read 24,159,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I find the segregation to be much more prominent in the Democrat-controlled cities, & all sized Dem states, but New England & California moreso. The more Liberal a state is, the more segregated it is...just my opinion & observations from my life's travels.

I have lived in a lot of places, & visited many more. It would be very difficult to convince me otherwise.

I found the South to be the most successfully integrated by far. I lived in the Atlanta & Birmingham metro areas, & all races mixed, & got along well, for the most part. In New England, I saw very few minorities at all...they just do not seem to live there, outside the largest cities. Cali's got lots of minorities, but they are highly segregated into haves, & have nots.
Did you ever live in Boston area? Or when you mean New England do you mean suburbs of Connecticut Maine vermont?

Old 04-14-2022, 10:13 AM

20,135 posts, read 9,657,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The upsurge in crime the last few years isn't helping. The BLM riots hurt, too. Then crazy mayors in NY, Chicago, SF, LA, Baltimore, and Atlanta made people not want to live in places run by people like that. A lot of minor cities followed the same path.

This resegregation isn't racist. It's the rational response of people who don't want to expose themselves to crime, filth, and degradation.
Absolutely 100% correct. All of it.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:18 AM

7,654 posts, read 3,739,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Nyc, Manhattan specifically, is incredible integrated. Especially after the last mayor and all the low and moderate income housing units mixed in with market rate built over the last few years. And I am talking about buildings, not just neighborhoods.
I could find the stats but I think you would be surprised.
Rich living next to poor is not unusual in nyc.
You have low income housing in some of the wealthiest neighborhoods because when the neighborhoods gentrified, they didn’t get rid of the huge developments they had existed from the mid 1900s.
And as Brooklyn is now just as expensive as Manhattan, it’s even more the case. Multi million dollar apartments next to section 8 housing. - on the same block.
Most of the very wealthy people who have a place in New York City are owners of multiple properties so you cannot make the comparison because during the summer and on weekends and during Covid lockdowns they’ve all gone to their enclaves in Martha’s Vineyard the Hamptons and so forth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies