Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 12:34 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,785,863 times

Advertisements

Internationally, Asian students tend to be better at math and science than at reading (their own languages). Western students show the opposite trend.

Quote:
International differences in math and science tilts: The stability, geography, and predictive power of tilt for economic criteria

Highlights
•
Math/science tilt was based on PISA results from 2000 to 2018 in 86 countries.

•
Math/science tilt was computed by contrasting math and science results with reading results.

•
Math/science tilt patterns were stable over time, cohorts, testing waves, and methods.

•
East Asian countries showed math/science tilt; Western countries showed verbal tilt.

•
Math (not science) tilts predicted economic growth (β = .25 to .45 vs .08 to .18).
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...60289622000277
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 05:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,633,811 times
Is there in fact a real statistical correlation in either or both of the following:

Asian ancestry and school test scores

Asian ancestry s and family income.

Can this even be discussed without that data? Or, like all racial questions, do we just ignore data?

Old 05-08-2022, 05:57 AM

25,879 posts, read 16,594,587 times
And they are rich because they do well…..

Old 05-08-2022, 08:10 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,917,278 times
Pure ignorance. As the OP said, if that was the case, why aren’t the children of NBA/NFL, rappers, and other entertainers doing well as students either…..

Old 05-08-2022, 08:15 AM

43,434 posts, read 18,521,148 times
Just another flimsy excuse to exclude Asians from low minority scoring reasons.

History of testing shows Asians, Whites, Hispanics, Blacks in that scoring order...pretty solid over time.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:05 AM

30,164 posts, read 18,756,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
https://youtu.be/vefyGdb613s

So those kids from old money families or NBA players' families should do even better if this is true. That is to say the top students should be mostly white because there are more rich white people than Asians as minorities. Is this what the superintendent did not say but actually she did mean so?

How come I saw so many kids from very poor labor job Asian families go to top universities?

So many kids born in the families with parents working both in dark and small takeaway shops who barely speak any English at all go to top universities with extremly high academic scores. During their childhood the kids need to help with kitchen work and need to be the translators of their parents and need to do homework on the front desks of the small restaurants in case they are needed for help. I do know the son of a cleaning maid needs to go to the house his mum will clean for the first time as a translator so his mum will understand what the requirements will be. However, this does not stop him being in the gifted program.
God just created them that way!

Every time liberals open their mouths, they push out the envelope of outrageous stupidity.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:15 AM

867 posts, read 873,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I recall that during the Pandemic, a highly respected, white principal was fired after inadvertently using the term "colored people" rather than the ever-changing, and currently preferred, "people of color". He apologized, but the black community demanded (with success) that he be fired.

The faux pas by this Superintendent was far more insulting, but apparently, an apology was enough to make it "go away" for her.

Why was she given a pass when he wasn't?
Racism pure and simple.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:27 AM

78,730 posts, read 60,918,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Is there in fact a real statistical correlation in either or both of the following:

Asian ancestry and school test scores

Asian ancestry s and family income.

Can this even be discussed without that data? Or, like all racial questions, do we just ignore data?
First off it appears that you are focusing on asians living in the US.

That right there is a small but rather elite subset of the countries they came from due to the importing of STEM workers from those countries and our own selective LEGAL immigration processes.

Personally, I don't feel you can have that discussion to any conclusion WITHOUT data and here is why:

Method 1: Asians score higher! Conclusion, Asians smarter! This is y = x garbage anti-science that you see run amok on-line.

I mean seriously, imagine sitting around with some sports guys and saying, "ABC is the best quarterback in the league because their team won the most games in the regular season." Or just any single QB statistic like total completions or TD's etc.

Method 2: Basic linear regression, statistics version of the wrench. If you don't know how to use a wrench or at least how it works you should not be weighing in on fixing car engines for example.

This is y = x1 + x2 + x3 +.......how many other variables are proven to impact "y".

This last bit is in direct regard to your last sentence. If someone is using data to then apply method #1, they should be ignored, because they don't know how a wrench works so to speak. They're an analytical moron.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:15 PM
nng

695 posts, read 292,465 times
Well I don't think what she said was necessarily racist. It's probably true what she said. I don't like how we've become so sissified as a society that we come at each other with pitchforks over things we shouldn't be outraged over. What she said wasn't particularly outrageous or anything. But not every single Asian is well off or privileged however. My mom for example was just a marines wife and came here alone with no family and succeeded in this country. me and my parents are just average middle class people.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:52 PM
nng

695 posts, read 292,465 times
I kind of resent the idea that asians are this almighty privileged group. I mean its just pitting asians against other people in society. I believe everyone should have equal opportunities in life no matter what race or background, asians shouldnt be punished for being successful. But this whole idea of privilege is just going to cause resentement towards Groups of people. Equal opportunities should be the focus and the main goal imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies