Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2022, 01:34 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,230,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. There is no, "if" to it.

2. As a society, parallel with most in first world, girls and women are supported more by family and society than boys and men.

3. Men still dominate most areas within STEM for sure and significantly so. It's too in the weeds and controversial for this board probably but men dominating STEM is probably more about IQ distributions and women being somewhat less inclined to pursue most math and science heavy areas of study.

4. It's pretty clear part of this is K-12 is optimized for girls over boys.

5. Per your toxic femininity charge - stow that noise. I'm in no sense a modern style feminist. All you need to do is spend 45 high quality minutes searching the internet to prove to yourself what I wrote is the way it is.

1.2. Young men as a cadre are academically so overwhelmed by similar age women/girls that selective colleges have begun treating male applicants as an underperforming cadre.......meaning it's easier for men to gain admission than women. Think about that for a second.

B. Younger men seem to derive little self satisfaction from hard work/strong back jobs too. A good friend is a plumber. He simply cannot find and keep young male US citizens mentally and physically able to be decent apprentices.

I know that women are matriculating college at a higher rate than men. I know some of the other things you mentioned are in fact true.

One thing you didn’t mention, and it was what I bolded was that if colleges are lowering their admissions standards for men due to the deficit, why have we not seen an explosion in academic scholarship programs following suit to allure more men to college?

Please post the studies, and not the studies that don’t take into account the differences in master degrees programs that each sex applies for, showing that at a lot of top colleges women are disproportionately applying for more selective programs.

Also, nice anecdote about your plumber friend, not an objective fact though. I work in the HVAC field and have seen many younger men, myself included rise in the ranks and take advantage of the opportunities that were presented. He may just live in a depressed area with a high drug abuse rate, idk.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:36 PM

36,867 posts, read 31,147,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Um, 1972. Things have changed a bit since then, Sir.
I guess there will be no more cool stories of how your dad and I met or how your grandma and I met for gen z and beyond.
Or maybe one day soon millennials and gen z will stop whining about how they cant form a relationship through dating apps and such, start getting out of the basement, start engaging in activities and actually learn to interact and have conversations with people.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:37 PM

22,142 posts, read 9,707,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Honestly, I hate this gender divide the democrats/feminists pull all of the time. Yes, men are certainly no saints by any means, but all of these women that you see get all crazy in the Karen videos shows they aren't either. Just hate all of this "Life is hard so we just go around pointing fingers at everyone else" crap I hate so much.
Some people blame Disney for the raising girls as princesses mentality. Thankfully, my girls were never big into the princess thing.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I guess there will be no more cool stories of how your dad and I met or how your grandma and I met for gen z and beyond.
Or maybe one day soon millennials and gen z will stop whining about how they cant form a relationship through dating apps and such, start getting out of the basement, start engaging in activities and actually learn to interact and have conversations with people.
One can hope.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:40 PM

15,953 posts, read 12,367,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Honestly, I hate this gender divide the democrats/feminists pull all of the time. Yes, men are certainly no saints by any means, but all of these women that you see get all crazy in the Karen videos shows they aren't either. Just hate all of this "Life is hard so we just go around pointing fingers at everyone else" crap I hate so much.

Bingo. Bottom line, change is hard and expecting people to come around and save you not only is unlikely, it won't even work if it happens if you at all understand human psychology. That phrase "you have to take yourself with you" when you move somewhere new in fact applies. Limbic rewiring is the answer here. Rewarding good behavior instead of bad in society would also help. The left consistently has this mentality where you should be able to do whatever you want with no consequences and get bailed out when needed. Plus they have different standards for different groups depending on how supposedly "oppressed" said group is.

In fact I even understand why the ruling class try to control the flow of information, I really do. I just don't think they use this tool nearly wisely enough.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:43 PM

2,047 posts, read 872,482 times
For me it isn’t so much about….you know keeping the “little woman in her place” barefoot, pregnant and making me a sandwich. Lol not about that stuff at all. To me it’s very simple, it’s simply, well, a woman who enjoys being a woman. She likes being a woman. And she likes me being a man. Imagine that. Is that really asking too much?

Old 05-02-2022, 01:44 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,995,627 times
Quote:
Um, 1972. Things have changed a bit since then, Sir.
Things don't seem to have changed at all for my 19 year old grandson, my 20 year old grandson or my 45 year old son today. They all have girlfriends. When half of young people today are not in a relationship and half are, which half should you be looking at if you would like to be in a relationship? Just do what they do. This thread seems to be full of rationalizations why the posters can't have a relationship. What about the half of the country that has one? Most are not rich or fit or beautiful. They are just regular people.

This song was written in 1931 at the height of the great Depression and the build up to WWII. It was true then, and has been true ever since. "As Time Goes By", sung by Rod Stewart and Chrissie Hynde.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihqPIpBF5U0

Last edited by bobspez; 05-02-2022 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-02-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
For me it isn’t so much about….you know keeping the “little woman in her place” barefoot, pregnant and making me a sandwich. Lol not about that stuff at all. To me it’s very simple, it’s simply, well, a woman who enjoys being a woman. She likes being a woman. And she likes me being a man. Imagine that. Is that really asking too much?
I agree. I LIKE being a woman. I liked dressing nice in high school and college and looking good.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:04 PM

20,112 posts, read 18,364,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I know that women are matriculating college at a higher rate than men. I know some of the other things you mentioned are in fact true.

One thing you didn’t mention, and it was what I bolded was that if colleges are lowering their admissions standards for men due to the deficit, why have we not seen an explosion in academic scholarship programs following suit to allure more men to college?

Please post the studies, and not the studies that don’t take into account the differences in master degrees programs that each sex applies for, showing that at a lot of top colleges women are disproportionately applying for more selective programs.

Also, nice anecdote about your plumber friend, not an objective fact though. I work in the HVAC field and have seen many younger men, myself included rise in the ranks and take advantage of the opportunities that were presented. He may just live in a depressed area with a high drug abuse rate, idk.

To be blunt you seem to be reading things into my comments that I am not saying......please stop that.

1. Per the last part good for you. And obviously my point wasn't that no men are willing to work hard and work smart etc. only proportionally fewer than in that past.

2. Per your second point you wrote allure but meant lure likely......anyway I don't know. Most likely it's just not cool with the educational establishment to offer male only or male preferred scholarships in any quantity.

3. I never said or implied anything about masters degrees or selective individual programs. As a matter of fact I I noted that men dominate most areas within STEM. What I did say is that many selective colleges have begun treating men as a cadre as an underrepresented group.

It takes 5 seconds to Google up a bunch of bit like this.....

https://hechingerreport.org/an-unnot...men-to-get-in/

A very liberal take..........I'm sure VOX would be thrilled with a 90:10 female to male college ratio.

https://www.vox.com/2015/2/17/805025...ege-admissions

Old 05-02-2022, 02:08 PM
Status: "Peace sells...but who's buying?" (set 14 days ago)

8,218 posts, read 3,646,966 times
Quote:
When I go out...dinner, shopping, I don't know. In the world. The first time I saw a man in one of those too small suits, I literally thought it was a joke. Pants too short, jacket too small. It's a thing. I swear.
I don't see this too often "out in the wild" but I do see it occasionally. More often I see it on TV, especially with sports announcers. The part before the football game where all the ex players wear suits, discuss the upcoming game and try to be the most alpha guy in the room. Wearing those suits that are two sizes too small and too short at the legs and sleeves. I think they are trying to look like they are too much man to be contained by a mere suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies