Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 12:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Which of those categories do you consider racist? Do you know what "racist" means?
Any time a company or government uses skin color in their selection or laws it's racist.

Just ask yourself why doesn't Staples let you shop for products made by white male-owned companies.

It's like Biden's attempt to use race for determining farmer subsidies. Obviously racist and it was struck down by the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Looks like sharp marketing gimmick to me:

Minority-owned

Woman-owned

Small business-owned

Veteran-owned

LGBTQ-owned

Disabled-owned
It is a gimmick for sure. But what about their customers who only want to buy from males? Or big businesses? or straight people?

Old 05-08-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Actually, Elon has no African in him at all. He was born European South African. And that indeed makes him a minority.

Now he would correctly be referred to as European American or alternatively, South African American. Which is still a minority in the US.
Anybody born in Africa and now living in the USA is an African American.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
did you by chance go to their website and see what was assigned to various products?

or just copy/pasted the photo, retrieved from some other social media platform?
Yes, I went to their website as I was shopping for a product. Did you?

Old 05-08-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I know for certain, because I've been associated with such things for years, that many times a man will designate his wife as the owner or CEO of a small business so it'll have much better chances of getting contracts since it's a "woman-owned" business, while she's nothing but a figurehead. To me, that's downright deceptive. It happens all the time.
I have a friend who did exactly that and get's lots of government contracts.

Old 05-08-2022, 12:36 PM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
staples has been doing this for quite some time now. most who are in charge of purchasing for a company or organization will be driven solely by price and could give two hoots about who or what owns the business. with that said, they should have a filter for items made in America

Old 05-08-2022, 12:42 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Does any of that make any difference regarding the quality of office supplies I will get at the store?

After all, that’s what actually matters, right?
You'll notice the term "excellence" has been completely replaced by "diversity." So the meaningful has been replaced by the superficial. Welcome to our times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Elon Musk is an African-American...

Twitter is minority owned.
Yes he is and he should play that card every hand.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just a reminder that Black Business Month is in August. Be sure to support local black owned businesses.

To me - people can shop where they what for whatever reason they want. When they start telling other's how to shop... then the lines get blurry.
I'm sorry, who is telling you where to shop? The rightwing and their victim mentality.

Old 05-08-2022, 03:17 PM

1,929 posts, read 559,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Because some people would prefer to spend their $$$ supporting particular businesses that make products they need. Some people don’t like going to Chik-Filet because of the ownership’s position on gay individuals. Some people love going to Chik-Filet for the same reason. Seems like giving people more information about particular products (who made them, etc.) is only helping to empower the consumer.
Very few if any of the listed companies make the products they offer, they are simply retailers selling the same product. There is no difference in products among the bunch. A manila folder is a manila folder. Staples is pushing groups, not products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies