Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 04:52 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,586,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
How many babies are conceived that way? How many actual rapists are going to leave their oats in there? What type of relationships constitute incest?
If it happens once, it's one time too many, but to answer your question, yes rapists can and do impregnate their victims (Slapping a jimmy on it is usually not on their mind while they're assaulting someone). If you don't know what incest is, there's not much I can do to further enlighten you.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:53 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,370,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Already saw a report blaming Trump, because of his SCOTUS picks.
I blame McConnell for changing his rules depending which way the winds is blowing. Obviously Garland or Barrett put them over the top on abortion, take your pick, if not for that we would have a 5-4 ruling blocking Mississippi.

We can also thank Collins and Murkowski for their support.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:53 PM

29,671 posts, read 14,782,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
When I see legislation that doesn't offer exceptions to rape or incest, it sort of narrows down what the thinking behind it is...
Agreed. The only exception for getting an abortion should be the time frame. Getting everyone to agree on exactly what that time frame is, will be the tough part.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:55 PM

9,514 posts, read 5,305,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
We'll see if that ends up being the final. Although I favor legalizing abortion through the first trimester I fear that if this is true with respect to the decision that this will actually put Republicans back a bit as people realize that this really means for so many people. I thought Republicans had the House sewn up for 2022 but this is a wild card that makes that less likely. I know I'll see a bunch of posters saying that polls say people don;lt vote on this subject, but that was when it was not really an issue.
yea, so it seems like this is no coincident that this document was leaked now.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:57 PM

7,834 posts, read 4,586,415 times
Quote:
Agreed. The only exception for getting an abortion should be the time frame. Getting everyone to agree on exactly what that time frame is, will be the tough part.
I don't disagree with you.

30,275 posts, read 11,913,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But surely most Republicans are opposed to the government promoting birth control, especially if it's free. Instead, they prefer self control be taught in school, meaning abstain from sexual intercourse, unless having a baby is desired. Name anything Republicans have done that make birth control more accessible.
I agree one of many reasons I am not a Republican. The GOP want abstinence officially yet the Trump GOP don't really practice what they preach like the old school GOP.

But the Dems would have benefited with a better campaign for birth control. Just like the right benefits with less mass shootings. Yet neither side does much in either regard because they don't want to give up an inch. But less abortions and less mass shootings takes talking points away from the other side.

But its too late for the abortion situation. Unless Biden uses the nuclear option and packs the SCOTUS.

3,504 posts, read 2,799,144 times
Quote:
Just saw a report on the news showing
all the protesters in DC. So many of these dolts are carrying signs "my body my choice" , how laughable seeing that is a thing now, it certainly wasn't concerning vaccinations.

Our country is getting more ignorant daily, we really are following the movie Idiocracy.
I'm disappointed by their signs. There should be more signs of freedom, saying no to Tyranny as well as signs decrying anti abortion mandates.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:59 PM

29,671 posts, read 14,782,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
We'll see if that ends up being the final. Although I favor legalizing abortion through the first trimester I fear that if this is true with respect to the decision that this will actually put Republicans back a bit as people realize that this really means for so many people. I thought Republicans had the House sewn up for 2022 but this is a wild card that makes that less likely. I know I'll see a bunch of posters saying that polls say people don;lt vote on this subject, but that was when it was not really an issue.
Like this is going to change anyones minds. We've become so polarized as a nation, i'm sure many already have their minds made up. Those that are riled up about this draft that was released were voting Democrat regardless.

14,267 posts, read 6,990,217 times
Quote:
Just saw a report on the news showing
all the protesters in DC. So many of these dolts are carrying signs "my body my choice" , how laughable seeing that is a thing now, it certainly wasn't concerning vaccinations.

Our country is getting more ignorant daily, we really are following the movie Idiocracy.
Are those people also wearing signs saying they wanted vax mandates? No, of course not. You have no idea what they thought about vax mandates. Stop assuming you know those people, because you don't.

20,436 posts, read 14,756,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Your first link, it was deemed a mistake for her to be arrested and charged with murder. Likely if she sued over it she would win. Unless you have an update where she's now imprisoned for it?

I cannot read your second link. Is the person(s) discussed in it serving time for murder because they'd killed their unborn child?
Sorry about that, stupid paywalls, I forgot NYT does that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59214544

Here's another one, out of Georgia.
https://www.businessinsider.com/wome...bortion-2019-5

In the instance of that first link's case, she was charged and jailed for manslaughter over a miscarriage. There absolutely are places where they will be putting women in prison over this. I mean it's the core of the argument. That abortion is murder, because fetuses are people. Why would it NOT be murder, or in a case where a woman did not do everything perfectly to preserve the life on the unborn, manslaughter? You seem to be asking a lot of questions about details and semantics in this thread, particularly about a lot of pretty obvious things.

Some of which you could Google as easily as I could.

That first link above in this post also mentions that since the seventies, there have been 1600 cases of women jailed for their miscarriages, with 1200 in the last 15 years. Most were drug related, but some were for other things like giving birth at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
So, those who were raped or incest victims cannot have an abortion at all?
The laws being passed, or on the verge of being passed, in some states make no exceptions for these things.

Oklahoma and Texas for instance.

I still say that the easiest solution would be to ban it by procedure type. The pills don't work and aren't given after 12 weeks. So the surgical procedure, which is the only way after 12 weeks, you ban it except in hospitals in medical emergencies when the mother's life is in danger. That would effectively put a time limit on it without all of these nebulous, religious debates (sorry, not all Americans are required to believe in God or the Bible, so...) and it would be case closed easy peasy. No more clinics where one could go get the post 12 week surgical thing done. 12 weeks should be plenty of time for a person to know that they are pregnant and make a decision.

I mean, anti abortion folks, you do understand that before 12 weeks, an abortion is "take two pills and have a heavy period at home"...right? No implements of doom, or ripping anything out of anywhere. You know this? I hope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies