Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 11:26 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times

Advertisements

Now that I work from home I will hardly ever drive. I may not even hunt out of State this year if it stays this high. My regular trip would now almost be a grand in fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 11:26 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I really enjoy road biking on a particular bike trail 50 miles to the south of me. I will continue to do that. I will reduce spending elsewhere, not because I'm starved for cash but because prices are simply too high in my subjective opinion. I will park the cash in the least overvalued assets or cash while I wait for sanity to return to the marketplace so long as central banks continue the correct policy of higher rates and QT.. once they go back into pump mode again, no choice but to position funds differently.

Driving in South Dakota is a pleasure because of the low population density. I can choose to take roads that have hardly any traffic and even the interstates are not terrible. It's a pleasure I will not give up. Maybe if gas hits $5-6/gallon I'll reduce my trips to once every 1-2 weeks... I can bike in the town I live, I just have to use roads.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-19-2022 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-19-2022, 11:27 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
I never travel during the summer peak season when everything's overpriced. I always travel right before or right after.

....this year it's business as usual. No peak season travel.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:31 AM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
(And this means for any reason, not just the price of gas now.)

We are definitely cutting back on our driving, but we can do that because we are retired, so I am wondering if people who are still in the workforce are cutting down their driving on their days off. I am also wondering if more people will be staying home this summer instead of driving or flying out of state.

P.S. ON EDIT: As it turned out in reading a couple of posts below, it seems that more clarification was needed as to what other factors might influence driving and/or travel plans besides increased gas prices, so here are a few possible reasons:

- Inflation in general (less money to spend on non-essentials).

- Maybe some people still have COVID fears?

- Labor shortages in vacation destinations. (In at least some tourist areas, labor shortages are a big problem. Several restaurants here have now closed, and I have heard it was because of not getting enough wait staff, and I also heard that there were many complaints about that last summer. If people go on vacation expecting to have a good time, but there are not enough people to clean their hotel rooms or if they have to wait two hours to get a table at a restaurant, maybe they will think twice before going on vacation.)
No, no changes. I'm at the stage in my life that I can do things that I want to do though.

The price of gasoline certainly impacts most young families who have house or rent payments, car payments, child expenses, and other normal monthly payments.

If you'd asked me the same question 30 years ago, my answer would have been a resounding "yes".

Old 05-19-2022, 11:32 AM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Yes.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:42 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
We still have plans to go to Capital Reef Natl. Park at the end of July, but it's only about a 5.5 hour drive. This was planned before all of recent BS.

We did cancel plans to go to Chicago for a reunion. Flights/hotel/car rental just make it more costly than it's worth. Besides, I never really liked those people anyway. LOL.

We'll still go to Tampa to visit my wife's mom, who's getting up there in years. That's not until November, but I'm not expecting costs to go down.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:45 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,769,324 times
Nope. I'm driving my Camaro SS even more. It's beautiful weather out and I'm enjoying driving all over the countryside.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:50 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Yes. I have a 60 + round trip to work 5 days a week so I'm trying harder to make sure I get everything I need while I'm in "the city" so I dont have to drive one the weekends. This is due to the increase in gas prices and general inflation it has caused.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:50 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
We are skipping a trip but more for health issues than gas price.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:51 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
Nope. I'm driving my Camaro SS even more. It's beautiful weather out and I'm enjoying driving all over the countryside.
Not concerned about climate change and your carbon footprint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies