Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 08:55 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
At age 12, I had already knew where Afghanistan was located. Sadly nyc school system is a far cry worse now compared to when I was a kid.
You "had already knew" about Afghanistan, but not proper English grammar. People in glass houses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Come on. These kids just graduated or are in school. The questions are basic math, geography and US history. Things they should have learned in school. Things anyone applying for citizenship might be tested on.
You have a good point though, the ability to look up info in 3 seconds is making us stupid. We no longer need to actually learn anything and I am guilty as well. When I was a teen/young adult I bet I memorized at least 20 phone numbers. Lost my phone last week and didnt know one persons phone number.
I still carry a 3x5 card in my wallet with phone numbers of close family members for just that reason, because there is no phone book of cell numbers where you can even look up someone's number.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:06 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The elderly didn't know how to work computers and cell phones when they were 20 either.

Every generation has stupid people that don't know basic stuff and the current generation is just the same.

Also throw in the fact that they can get information in 3 seconds electronically where as not knowing how many ounces in a pint when I was growing up would mean a trek to the library or asking someone else etc.

It's just *different* now.
The elderly did not have computers and cell phones when they were 20. Yes things are different for young people now. They are lazy, and if the answer is not at there finger tips, they are lost......like a teenage cashier that can not count change back if the register screws up, and dosen`t do it for them.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
These skits are usually done as jokes, like Jay leno used to do on the Tonight Show, he would walk around the sidewalks near the studio and ask people basic random questions that anyone should be able to answer...and no surprisingly, their answers were always wrong and usually comical as well.

This was the purpose though! Its called entertainment, they are skits. Look at the kids in these videos, its clear they are playing to the camera. Its funny sure, but dumb to try to suggest its real.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:16 AM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
"Harrisburg?... Oh?... Is there a capital of the US?"

Well, actually, no. But there is a vile snake pit filled with megalomaniacal vermin.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:37 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I still carry a 3x5 card in my wallet with phone numbers of close family members for just that reason, because there is no phone book of cell numbers where you can even look up someone's number.
Good idea. I am from now on. Put them on a spread sheet and print out about 50 copies.
Wonder if you can still buy a manual rolodex?

Old 05-23-2022, 12:06 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times
I bet almost nobody here knows many zoomers well at all. Too set in your ways to try and inform your opinion, and it's easier to soothe your mind with simple vague stereotypes (which are laughably predictable, historical precedent included) about how kids are lazy, stupid, irresponsible, dangerous, too liberally sexual, rebellious blah blah... I hope I grow more perspective as I age, not get cranky. Stay scared and gloom-and-doom, I guess! Just don't let it affect me or the younger generations, take it to the grave.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:12 PM

43,137 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Are teachers really underpaid? Watch this and decide for yourself.

Kids not knowing how many states are in the US. Kids not knowing what a dozen is. Kids not knowing who fought in the civil war, etc... But I bet they know all those weird pronouns and what the letters in LGTBQXYZ mean.
But they know there are 28 different genders, can use wikipedia to cut and paste their assignments and that anything on twitter is the gospel truth.

They are also learning that everything about the US is based on white supremacy and should be hated and cancelled.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:28 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I bet almost nobody here knows many zoomers well at all. Too set in your ways to try and inform your opinion, and it's easier to soothe your mind with simple vague stereotypes (which are laughably predictable, historical precedent included) about how kids are lazy, stupid, irresponsible, dangerous, too liberally sexual, rebellious blah blah... I hope I grow more perspective as I age, not get cranky. Stay scared and gloom-and-doom, I guess! Just don't let it affect me or the younger generations, take it to the grave.
All I can say is that I've been teaching them for nearly thirty years now. The last ten years or so has been about like having my teeth pulled. I have CERTAINLY seen a decline in the quality of students (we're talking at a university level).

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-23-2022 at 01:52 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 01:31 PM

43,137 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
All I can say is that I've been teaching them for nearly thirty years now. The last ten years or so has been about like having my teeth pulled. I have CERTAINLY seen a decline in the quality of students (we're talking at a university level).
yes, if you work in education then you truly see the "dumbing down" of Americans with each passing generation.

The younger ones are socially awkward in person since they are on their phones so much...even with dating now...they fall in love over text messages and selfies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies