Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 06:51 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
There's nothing wrong with adding wind and solar as supplemental energy sources and increasing their total market share over time. I wish conservatives would stop being so anti wind and solar thinking there's some leftist conspiracy regarding these forms of energy. They're actually more affordable to install and maintain than any other form of energy right now on a total cost basis, especially wind. They work and they allow us to generate electricity with no carbon emissions. No you can't rely on them for all of the energy but for them to make up half of our electricity production eventually would be great.

There's literally hundreds of miles of nothing in the Great Plains ... They could put wind power all throughout this entire area and they have been and continue to do so whether you like it or not. When the crap hits the fan we're going to have all the electricity generation in the country out here where I live. Every day the big blades are making their way up and down the interstates.

There is a big industry that has formed around their use and many of the oil companies have embraced this form of energy as well it's very much a capitalistic Endeavour at this point. I always hear conservatives including the talk radio guy Belling talk about the problems from the freeze in Texas ... that's because they didn't install the appropriate anti-freeze elements on those because they never expected it to get that cold down there they work perfectly fine when it's 20 below here in South Dakota. Like any Corporation they're only going to spend as much money as they think they have to spend they're not going to add extra redundancies if they're not believed to be necessary
I am pretty confident that not a single person is against wind and solar power....if it was a realistic step in the right direction. With our current technological level, it really isn't cost effective, completely feasible for our needs, nor is it completely green. Many of us are just skeptical and see it has a less efficient, more costly, trade off for country wide adoption.

Now that being said, if I was building a home right now, i'd want to make it as close to off grid as possible. Utilizing wind, solar, geo thermal etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 06:57 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Just think if the United States had started back in the 1970s of reducing amount of gasoline consumed in this country. We have too many people thinking we can go on forever burning ever increasing gallons of gasoline at cheap prices. I wonder what will come first: an irreversible climate crisis, or not enough gasoline for the existing gas burning vehicles on this planet?

It doesn't really matter. Our way of life will change either way.

Ummm......you are aware that the average fuel economy of vehicles in America is MUCH higher than it was in the 70's..... right?

Even vehicles normally thought of as "gas guzzlers" have vastly improved MPG and reduced emissions.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:01 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
The Biden admin expects everyone to buy a Tesla...gonna be hard to do that with inflation & a looming recession.

Just out of curiosity, I checked CarMax for used Teslas.

The CHEAPEST one within 250 miles of me was $50k. USED.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:20 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I am pretty confident that not a single person is against wind and solar power....if it was a realistic step in the right direction. With our current technological level, it really isn't cost effective, completely feasible for our needs, nor is it completely green. Many of us are just skeptical and see it has a less efficient, more costly, trade off for country wide adoption.

Now that being said, if I was building a home right now, i'd want to make it as close to off grid as possible. Utilizing wind, solar, geo thermal etc.
You can google "levelized cost of electricity" and find the figures. Onshore wind is the least expensive form of energy to install in 2022 in almost every country, with solar and natural gas about tied for second place. Nuclear and Coal are the most expensive. Bottom line, we are coming up with more carbon free ways to generate electricity, and this is a good thing in the long run. Lots of people are employed in the "wind industry" here in the great plains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...city_by_source

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...of-electricity

Old 05-24-2022, 07:28 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
He literally said he was going to do this in his campaign and people voted for him. You get what you vote for, but hey, no more mean tweets, right?

You misunderstand. The people knew what they were getting. They weren't voting for Biden, they were voting against Trump. They didn't want Trump in there another 4 years because they were afraid he might just finish what he started: overthrowing the Constitution and setting himself up as dictator for life. He joked about it but behind every joke with Trump there's a serious intent.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:42 AM

19,040 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...but anyone with half a brain has figured that out already

Biden > "When it comes to the gas prices, we’re going through an incredible transition that is taking place that God willing when it’s over we’ll be stronger and the world will be stronger and less reliant on fossil fuels."

"Wait til these idiots find out we don’t have clean energy replacements for our energy needs! Then things are really going to get real."

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/stat...fuels-video%2F

------------------

Gas Prices Reach 12th Straight All-Time Record High at $4.596/ Gallon on Monday — First Time in History of 12 Straight Days of Record Gas Prices

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...rd-gas-prices/

Coincidentally, browsing Chrome and Opera articles on my phone yesterday, showed proliferation of articles from "experts" and "scientists" telling us, dimwits, how gas prices are very low now and how they should be much higher. I figure, a new self blame should be added to already ones of being straight and white - self blame of considering $5.56 a HIGH price. On your knees, SUV owners!

Old 05-24-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You can google "levelized cost of electricity" and find the figures. Onshore wind is the least expensive form of energy to install in 2022 in almost every country, with solar and natural gas about tied for second place. Nuclear and Coal are the most expensive. Bottom line, we are coming up with more carbon free ways to generate electricity, and this is a good thing in the long run. Lots of people are employed in the "wind industry" here in the great plains.

Interesting. I guess Ontario just couldn't figure it out... Hopefully our country looks at Ontario and what they did and does it differently. They made the transition back in 2016 and still, wind power only makes up 8% of their power. Wonder why it's so low ?

https://www.cer-rec.gc.ca/en/data-an...s-ontario.html

"Crippling Cost of Ontario’s Obsession With Wind Power: 71% Increase in Power Bills"

https://stopthesethings.com/2021/10/...n-power-bills/

"The Ontario green electricity regime is a monumental failure. The costs to consumers are prohibitive and damaging the economy"

https://financialpost.com/opinion/bo...tricity-system

Oopsie !

"A Canadian renewable-power company will replace foundations at a New Brunswick wind farm after engineers determined a turbine collapse in October stemmed from design flaws.
TransAlta Renewables Inc. said replacing 50 foundations will cost $75 million to $100 million and take until the end of 2023. The Calgary-based company expects to lose $3.4 million per month in revenue while the turbines are off line, according to a statement Tuesday.
"

https://financialpost.com/commoditie...dian-wind-farm

Seems like wind power was a flop for Ontario, except for those that profited from it, like the contractors and landowners. So, at least there is a positive to it.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 05-24-2022 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You misunderstand. The people knew what they were getting. They weren't voting for Biden, they were voting against Trump. They didn't want Trump in there another 4 years because they were afraid he might just finish what he started: overthrowing the Constitution and setting himself up as dictator for life. He joked about it but behind every joke with Trump there's a serious intent.
Lol....yeah, and the markets were going to tank (Mark Cuban), and he was going to start world war three. And none of that happened. Yet here we are with this **** show of an administration. SHM...

Old 05-24-2022, 08:06 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:

...but windmills still need a backup for when the wind isn't just right....too little...or too much

can't depend on solar for that either

so there's no way to completely eliminate the other choices

that's says a lot about wind and solar....and a whole lot about the other choices

dependable....and not dependable

Old 05-24-2022, 08:26 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,357,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post

Agreed. I’m not affiliated with a political party, but my views are generally more conservative. I have solar panels on my house even though it BARELY made financial sense because my household is small, cost of energy in Colorado is cheap right now although going up because of Colorado Democrats and green mandates, and our energy usage is generally low. However, I’m interested in the technology and wanted to build a system and see how it performed (and so far, it’s great).

With that said, I’m not sure why Democrats are hell-bent on inflicting pain on everyone, just to build their “green energy economy” or whatever they want to call it. I think nearly everyone could agree on an “all of the above” energy strategy that reduces dependence on fossil fuels over time, especially once alternative forms of energy become more viable as technology advances.

But no, instead, we’ve got Democrats who take on this “all or nothing” approach and in the process, happy inflict pain upon everyone else. Like I said, Democrats love high gas prices and the misery it causes because they are generally cold and heartless people. They COULD have a winning issue here (an ‘all of the above’ strategy) but instead choose to take another route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies