Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 11:52 AM

22,006 posts, read 9,579,345 times

Advertisements

I wonder how many people are aware this is going on in schools. My daughter was completing 11% of her work when she transitioned from 8th grade to high school. I actually asked them if they could fail her. They didn't 'want to make her feel bad about herself'. Ugh. How can a parent hold a kid accountable when this goes on?

Teacher Resigns from LT

https://patch.com/illinois/lagrange/...mwY6qYi4uY3jEk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2022, 12:15 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,877,725 times
There is an evil force that is working hard to continue the dumbing down of the US population.

If you stop for a second and think of the reasons why, this is absolutely terrifying.

Old 05-27-2022, 12:40 PM

19,895 posts, read 9,453,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I wonder how many people are aware this is going on in schools. My daughter was completing 11% of her work when she transitioned from 8th grade to high school. I actually asked them if they could fail her. They didn't 'want to make her feel bad about herself'. Ugh. How can a parent hold a kid accountable when this goes on?

Teacher Resigns from LT

https://patch.com/illinois/lagrange/...mwY6qYi4uY3jEk
I have posted this before. This was happening in at least one Colorado school district 20 years ago. (And I was told that the kid had to consent to being held back!) I think it is a horrible policy.

If more kids were held back, maybe that would be the incentive they needed to actually do what is expected of them.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:31 PM

21,203 posts, read 19,821,421 times
I'm glad to see this happening. It makes the private schools all that much better. Hopefully, parents will pull their kids out of failing public schools and put them in private schools.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'm glad to see this happening. It makes the private schools all that much better. Hopefully, parents will pull their kids out of failing public schools and put them in private schools.
That seems unfair. You pull all the wealthy kids out of public schools and the poor kids who go to public are victims of this policy.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:49 PM

25,976 posts, read 18,965,269 times
As a teacher, if I could find a school that taught the way it was done forty years ago, I'd be quitting and finding a job there. Things are not quite as bad in my subject matter as other subject matters, but it's getting there. I've often thought about doing some sort of private or community teaching service aimed at homeschoolers or small private community schools. If I were twenty years younger, I'd likely pursue that. I absolutely do not believe in the direction the school systems have been going for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
There is an evil force that is working hard to continue the dumbing down of the US population.

If you stop for a second and think of the reasons why, this is absolutely terrifying.
Agreed. An illiterate society is an easily manipulated society. Why do you think European royalty and clergy did everything they could to keep the "serfs" stupid? Or the slave owners of the old south did everything they could to keep any sort of academic knowledge from their slaves?

I do think the technique has changed a bit since those times, though. It seems the elite today want to give the masses the ILLUSION that they are being educated. But the masses are, in actuality, being fed propaganda masquerading as knowledge, fed lies, and fed outright garbage. And as it turns out, an indoctrinated society of idiots is far more dangerous to liberty than a society of just plain old everyday idiots.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 1,726,337 times
I think there’s a difference between being held back in K-6 (which I disagree with) and failing a class in ms/hs (which I agree with). In my experience, most of those elementary kids being held back end up qualifying for special education services later in their education. Retaining them did nothing but delay intervention.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:36 PM

26,026 posts, read 22,219,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is why I support school vouchers.

Quote:
That seems unfair. You pull all the wealthy kids out of public schools and the poor kids who go to public are victims of this policy.
That is what I did think, but with school vouchers, I think it would be better. Where we are living now, a church opened a school on the "other" side of town. It was opened by a church with a black congregation. The boys dress up, and I suspect the girls, but I hadn't seen any of them. They were pulled from a real sorry school district. A school like that can be good, and associated with a church, you have a building, etc. already, it could be operated in an economical way keeping costs down.

I was actually surprised that in the smaller towns in KS, religious affliliated private schools were quite reasonable. I don't remember the exact cost, but something we could have afforded at the time, and we were basically in the area of an upper lower class income at that time.

I know some are not onboard with religious schools, but what happened to "charter" schools? I know when we were in AZ in the 1990s, they had become popular. My kids have been out of school for awhile.

The dumbing down has been going on for awhile now. My older son, now in his 40s, got in trouble for correcting the teacher's board work. She asked one day if he wanted to teach the 4th grade class, but when he stood up to go to the front, she told him to sit down. He used to bring me his papers and ask why she marked it wrong. I said "It's not wrong." I wrote in red, and he took it back to her. Yeah, I am the parent that teachers always loved! My son was not a troublemaker, and is now a Colonel in the Army Reserve.

Make the kids feel bad? That way they learn if they don't perform, they are going to end up feeling bad again.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This is why I support school vouchers.

That is what I did think, but with school vouchers, I think it would be better. Where we are living now, a church opened a school on the "other" side of town. It was opened by a church with a black congregation. The boys dress up, and I suspect the girls, but I hadn't seen any of them. They were pulled from a real sorry school district. A school like that can be good, and associated with a church, you have a building, etc. already, it could be operated in an economical way keeping costs down.

I was actually surprised that in the smaller towns in KS, religious affliliated private schools were quite reasonable. I don't remember the exact cost, but something we could have afforded at the time, and we were basically in the area of an upper lower class income at that time.

I know some are not onboard with religious schools, but what happened to "charter" schools? I know when we were in AZ in the 1990s, they had become popular. My kids have been out of school for awhile.

The dumbing down has been going on for awhile now. My older son, now in his 40s, got in trouble for correcting the teacher's board work. She asked one day if he wanted to teach the 4th grade class, but when he stood up to go to the front, she told him to sit down. He used to bring me his papers and ask why she marked it wrong. I said "It's not wrong." I wrote in red, and he took it back to her. Yeah, I am the parent that teachers always loved! My son was not a troublemaker, and is now a Colonel in the Army Reserve.

Make the kids feel bad? That way they learn if they don't perform, they are going to end up feeling bad again.
Agree! I support school choice. Money goes with the kid, not the school.

Old 05-27-2022, 03:57 PM

78,647 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Ugh. How can a parent hold a kid accountable when this goes on?
Shut off internet access and take cell phone...or restrict it greatly and allow the priviledge back with performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies