Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 12:03 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,268,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I do believe she’s being scapegoated for being American in these times. I think they’re using her to do a prisoner swap.

It’s illegal in Russia- sure. But the punishment doesn’t match the crime. I doubt the Russians would give more than a fine and travel ban to any other nationality caught in this mess.

Should she have known better? Yes. But it’s not the point imo.
This man got 14 years and folks haven’t cried for his release. Griner isn’t entitled to anything but the sentence she received. It’s called taking responsibility and paying the consequences for breaking a country’s law.

https://triblive.com/local/pa-congre...ussian-prison/

Old 08-05-2022, 12:29 AM

34,109 posts, read 17,172,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
This man got 14 years and folks haven’t cried for his release. Griner isn’t entitled to anything but the sentence she received. It’s called taking responsibility and paying the consequences for breaking a country’s law.

https://triblive.com/local/pa-congre...ussian-prison/

Old 08-05-2022, 01:31 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,369,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You forgot the word "criminal" that was imbecilic enough to go into a foreign nation and break a law that could easily have been avoided. Is she so much of a stoner that she couldn't have waited until she was clear of Russia? How dumb do you have to be?

No sympathy from me at all. Do stupid things in a foreign nation... and you'll just have to deal with the consequences. Total "no ****, Sherlock" moment.
To me its not so much she is stupid, which she is. I also think theres some arrogant exceptionalism going on. Shes gotten away with a rebellious attitude for awhile and if she even knew it was illegal in Russia, figured hey Im a WNBA star, Ill get away with it. They wont look thru my luggage, and if they do, theyll ignore it because they really want me to come here and play.

That said I doubt she will be having too hard of a time. Shes gonna be the toughest girl in the cellblock and not exactly anyones idea of sweet meat. Blacks are not real popular in russia. I mean, conditions will be harsh and food will be awful, but those are hardly the worst parts of prison life.

What kind of idiot brings drugs into russia? The kind of idiot that should be in jail not walking around.

At least shes in for a hell of a book deal when she gets back.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:53 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,369,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
About that fogel guy.

"However, airport officials found 17 grams of medical marijuana that Fogel had been prescribed for pain caused by a decades-long, chronic spinal condition.".

Thats an inherent problem with all this medical marijuana BS. If he even had a scrip it was probably from a fake doctor. Theres lots of better drugs for back pain, he was just getting high. When California became one of the first medical marijuana states years ago, a whole industry sprung up out of the sewer of would be doctors writing scrips claiming anything under the sun needed a big sack of buds to medicate. I knew one guy dying from cancer that had a legit need, all of the people I knew that were potheads suddenly had all these chronic afflictions they had never complained about before.
We went from Ed Meese spraying paraquat on northern CA forests in the 80s to full recreational "dispensaries" when the government figured out it was better to tax the **** out of it rather than pay to eradicate it.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:55 AM

24,730 posts, read 9,533,981 times
Quote:
I doubt the Russians would give more than a fine and travel ban to any other nationality caught in this mess.
Your doubts are baseless. Routine sentences for foreigners caught with drugs in Russia is years.

Not a travel ban and a fine.
Quote:
“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

“At her level, 0.7 grams of hashish oil is considered a significant quantity and the majority of cases end in a prison term.
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2...ilence-critics

The only solution is for her to be drug free, because she clearly didn’t check her bag for drugs before going to Russia.

Why a basketball player, who needs perfect lungs, needs to vape or smoke weed is beyond common sense. But then again, so is kneeling for the national flag and covering your body with ink.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:18 AM

30,492 posts, read 21,375,578 times
Anyone crazy enough to even go over there is nuts. Stay home and stay safe.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:29 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Quote:
I do believe she’s being scapegoated for being American in these times. I think they’re using her to do a prisoner swap.

It’s illegal in Russia- sure. But the punishment doesn’t match the crime. I doubt the Russians would give more than a fine and travel ban to any other nationality caught in this mess.

I've worked in many foreign nations and can tell you this. Foreign travel is always risky for Americans. "Scapegoating" American tourists is practiced with abandon in every country on earth. It is a badge of honor among police and prosecutors to jail Americans who are innocent or who have committed minor crimes that go unpunished otherwise. The world envies us for lord knows what reason anymore and expresses it through inequal justice. Keep your nose clean over there.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:33 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,144,467 times
Her career ended yesterday.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:42 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,490,703 times
Quote:

Putin already refused Biden's offer of a swap -- Griner in exchange for an American-held Russian arms dealer who murdered Americans (and will again if given the chance). Putin said no.
I don't care what Putin's reasons are for turning down the offer. We're all a bit safer that he did.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:54 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,087,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Who cares about this woke POS. Hope she rots.
Exactly...

throw away the key....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies