Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 08:14 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That was going to be my question.

Is this a serious uptick in teachers leaving, or is this not an unusually large number of teachers leaving in any given year?

Without context, the numbers are kind of meaningless.
it's all in the article, though admittedly I posted that before reading it.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:16 AM

4,391 posts, read 1,699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder what the real Root cause of this exodus is? The article mentions that the teachers feel under appreciated and they are being made to do more and more without a raise but could it actually have to do with the increase of Woke politics thrust into the classroom?

We all know about CRT that makes White kids feel ashamed and leaves Black kids with the feeling that they will be perpetually oppressed. We all know how Sex Ed is being pushed on 5 year olds and the teachers are being directed by their Lefty union to present the LGBQTIxyz agenda and pressure the kids to question their very Gender. Today there seems to be less emphasis on teaching the ABC's and 123's but instead the schools are turning out little SJW activists..

Could it be that the older teachers don't want to learn Spanish?

It is all so shocking. Could it be that the Veteran Teachers that are leaving are simply fed up teaching the Woke and they are disgusted by the damage that is being done to the young minds?
This is really it. teachers are being asked to do more and more and more, and feeling less and less appreciated. You get yelled at by administration, yelled at by parents, yelled at by students. Then you take home work all the time, and spend hours of your own time doing stuff that you should have been able to do at work. If you work MS/HS, you end up spending your prep periods subbing for other teachers because there is a shortage of substitute teachers. There comes a time when it is just not worth it anymore.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:23 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Local radio suggests classroom manners is partly to blame, as there is less and less respect, even violence against teachers. Most of the departures coming from 'those' parts of town.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:26 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
These two posts sum up quite nicely why so many teachers have had enough:
I have a lot of teachers in my extended family.

Their #1 problem are parents that don't do anything and then show up screaming that their kids are failing and you need security\principal to be with you when you meet with them so you don't get beaten.

These are the stories that don't make the headlines and aren't all politicized like CRT.

For clicks\ratings, most news sources will show some parent yelling at the school board over CRT, but won't carry stories about some parent trying to beat up a teacher etc.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have a lot of teachers in my extended family.

Their #1 problem are parents that don't do anything and then show up screaming that their kids are failing and you need security\principal to be with you when you meet with them so you don't get beaten.

These are the stories that don't make the headlines and aren't all politicized like CRT.

For clicks\ratings, most news sources will show some parent yelling at the school board over CRT, but won't carry stories about some parent trying to beat up a teacher etc.
yep - they were going to limit bathroom use here at the jr high because kids were following darn TikTok challenges and ripping up the bathrooms - tearing the sinks off the walls - water everywhere etc.

I say kick those brats out and don't let them come back - let the parents deal with them.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:37 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It’s happening everywhere. Schools are even advertising for high school Social Studies teachers, when that happens you know there is a serious shortage. Every middle school in our region is looking for at least one science teacher and the nearest university graduated less than five.

Too much pressure.
Too much change.
Too little respect.
All while the last of the baby boomers are retiring.

One of the problems is the post-No Child Left Behind trend of changing to expiring certifications which require anywhere from 6-12 hours of graduate school to renew. This has resulted in once a person leaves the field, say to to raise a family, explore other types of jobs, or just work part time, they are no longer coming back like they did in the past.
Why? Because that is where they stick the football coaches?

Old 06-01-2022, 08:41 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
A few reasons why:

Parents and weirdos attacking education over CRT when they weren’t even teaching it.
Over worked and underpaid
Lockdowns and drills and the fear of it happening at their school
Parents demanding A’s when their kid is a C student
Admin treating it as a business (because it is) and doing whatever is needed just to get their bonuses.
Testing and more testing… while not letting teachers actually teach.

My spouse is a teacher and the lack of support and constant changes due to covid made for a lot of wasted time and energy.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:41 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNB View Post
If anything, it’s far more the opposite of what you’re hypothesizing. No one with any credibility wants to teach modified history where you can’t teach anything that may make their child feel guilty about their race. I’m sorry but racism, slavery, Jim Crow laws, segregation, the Trail of Tears and mass genocide of Native Americans, etc etc did happen and those events are part of our collective history. CRT isn’t taught on any notable scale in public schools so I’m not sure where you’re getting your information from. Do you work in public education? Do you have kids in school? Your perception of what is getting taught in schools is incredibly off base and not even remotely similar to what my 2nd and 5th grade aged kids have been taught to date.

Teachers have been used as pawns by loud and and wrong politicians looking to stoke fears and gain votes. It’s downright pathetic.
Nonsense. That stuff has been taught for decades. I remember all that stuff from the 70s in southern schools.

Now they are teaching garbage like "buffalo died from environmental change." Sorry but Indians/Native Americans are not a favored minority. They don't teach anymore that buffalo were exterminated in an effort to starve the Indians back to the reservation. You do read a lot about how Blacks/Hispanics/Chinese were discriminated against in the west.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
These two posts sum up quite nicely why so many teachers have had enough:
In some ways you are correct but not for the reasons you believe.

You people who keep bringing up this CRT nonsense is the reason for a lot of teachers leaving. Bunch of Tucker Carlson cult followers yelling about this nonsense.. smh.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Nonsense. That stuff has been taught for decades. I remember all that stuff from the 70s in southern schools.

Now they are teaching garbage like "buffalo died from environmental change." Sorry but Indians/Native Americans are not a favored minority. They don't teach anymore that buffalo were exterminated in an effort to starve the Indians back to the reservation. You do read a lot about how Blacks/Hispanics/Chinese were discriminated against in the west.
what.. lol. You do realize your Buffalo history is a form of CRT to most folks. It makes white folks look cruel for starving the Native Americans. Some white kids will think that was messed up and come home and their parents will get upset because it made their kids feel bad which is a no, no these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies