Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 05:00 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times

Advertisements

The thread title, and the disingenuous presentation of what the bill actually is. Fully knowing that, but misrepresenting it anyway.

When you can't be completely upfront and honest about something - you have something to hide, or be ashamed of, or don't feel completely confident of your argument, and have already discredited yourself against any meaningful debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 05:02 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
So apparently the NC Legislature is looking to pass a similar bill to the “Don’t Say Gay” law in Florida. One of the parts of that legislation includes language that requires schools to inform parents if the student is seeing an in school counselor. I kind of see this both ways….patents should normally have a right to know about matters pertaining to their own children, but I could imagine situations where kids feel uncomfortable (maybe even unsafe) sharing certain information with their parents. I would be concerned that this might dissuade some kids from asking for help at all because they might be afraid (legitimately or not) of consequences at home. I have to imagine most school counselors would encourage their kids to talk to their parents…I don’t think they see themselves as parental replacements, but as resources for the entire family. I’d like to think that this matter shouldn’t be dictated in legislation, but leave the issue of how and when to bring parents into the conversation with the counselors.
One instance in which notifying parents would be if there was parental abuse of the child. But teachers and councelors are trained to be on the lookout of such issues, so that may not be a widespread issue at all.

In general, parents should know their child is having issues to the point of seeing a school councelor.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:04 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,429,096 times
This bill, NC HB755, is properly titled “Parents’ Bill of Rights.” No where in the bill does it say the word GAY or TRANSGENDERED. As a matter of fact it says that while LGBTQ matters are to not be in K-3 curriculum, it does allow for the mention of LGBTQ people in casual conversation.

Neither the NC nor FL bill ever say, nor has it ever said, "don't say gay." To say otherwise is a gross misrepresentation of a fact intended to get people riled up.

Here's a link to NC HB 755

IMHO both of these bills put parental rights in black and white so as to have no misunderstanding about the ultimate authority of what children are taught about social issues remaining in the hands of parents, where it should be.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:31 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What are the provisions? Does the law not apply if a kid says he thinks he will be beat if he tells his parents he's questioning his gender identity or sexuality? That her father will kick her out of the house if he finds out about her girlfriend? Would there be some kind of criteria that needs to be met, or will they take the kid at their word?
Worse - that they feel like outcasts with out support and take their own lives. That does happen.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My parents were abusive. Because my mom worked in the school system, I was never able to speak to my school counselors because I was afraid that my mom would find out, and that would make the abuse worse. She told me as much - "family problems stay in the family, and if you speak to anyone you won't want to know what happens."

There are no words for what I think of adults who actively put children in danger by preventing them from seeking help the way that this bill does.
oh, how does it prevent someone from seeking help?

Basically, just like Republican states are going to copy/paste and pass:

Voting Laws
Anti-"CRT" laws

they are going to be passing similar bills to Florida's Parental Rights in Education Law. Hopefully, they change "don't discuss gender" in K-3 to "don't discuss non-conforming genders" (or something legally palatable).

Old 06-02-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
The thread title, and the disingenuous presentation of what the bill actually is. Fully knowing that, but misrepresenting it anyway.

When you can't be completely upfront and honest about something - you have something to hide, or be ashamed of, or don't feel completely confident of your argument, and have already discredited yourself against any meaningful debate.
still rising as it exits the park.

and there's plenty on the right that do the exact same thing

Old 06-02-2022, 05:36 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post

Yeah…that’s exactly what I was going for. Nice bit of detective work there on your part.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:40 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
This bill, NC HB755, is properly titled “Parents’ Bill of Rights.” No where in the bill does it say the word GAY or TRANSGENDERED. As a matter of fact it says that while LGBTQ matters are to not be in K-3 curriculum, it does allow for the mention of LGBTQ people in casual conversation.

Neither the NC nor FL bill ever say, nor has it ever said, "don't say gay." To say otherwise is a gross misrepresentation of a fact intended to get people riled up.

Here's a link to NC HB 755

IMHO both of these bills put parental rights in black and white so as to have no misunderstanding about the ultimate authority of what children are taught about social issues remaining in the hands of parents, where it should be.
See post 15. You are mistaken re the “riled up” remark. I would suggest your characterization is an attempt to do the same just on the other side.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Uh no- I grew up in a very abusive household. Counselors and teachers in my school were aware of it. I don't know who or how- I suspect my friends parents let them know. The counselors came to me and they helped me a lot. If my parents knew I'd have had a rough go..
and I, even as an NC resident, haven't read the bill. But I assume it includes the same protections as the FL law. Which would not affect the types of kids you describe, just as your parents were apparently - rightly or wrongly - never confronted about their abuse of you.

Old 06-02-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If NC is actually following the template of the Florida law, there is a provision for children in that situation - which is something that the mainstream media did their best to not address when slamming DeSantis for the Florida law and assigning a name to it which has nothing to do with its function. However, in general, my point stands. We should not have adults encouraging children to lie to their parents.
killing it today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies