Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be watching the House January 6 Committee hearing?
YES-WATCHING 70 24.56%
NO-NOT WATCHING 215 75.44%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 03:22 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You really should watch today's hearing before you make any more comments here.
thanks! I intend to this week, i wish i could have watched it today. I suspect my question will be answered upon watching it.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Why do you think that a lot of people like Antifa types used the rally as an opportunity to do their evil?

No one claiming that Antifa activists stormed the Capitol has provided legitimate proof.

The evidence that Trump supporters participated, however, is indisputable.
oh its just common sense. Criminals use OPPORTUNITY to commit a crime (leaving a car door open, etc).

You dont believe that some Antifa or Oathkeepers would even go so far as to dress up like a Trump supporter, all to hide themselves and also cause people to blame it on Trump supporters when they released their mayhem?

sorry, but i put them all in a box - Antifa, Oathkeepers, BLM, they are all riotous when given the opportunity.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:31 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I think it’s an exaggeration and even inflammatory. The committee should stick to the facts and not embellish. We do not know that a phone call that was never answered is witness tampering.
This smacks of sensationalism and I expect more from Liz Cheney.
And this is from someone who generally has high praise for the work the committee is doing.
He will skate on this. He always does. There is just enough to get s excited that maybe he pays a price, but like always, it fizzles away like a Coke that has sat out too long

Old 07-12-2022, 03:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I think it’s an exaggeration and even inflammatory. The committee should stick to the facts and not embellish. We do not know that a phone call that was never answered is witness tampering.
This smacks of sensationalism and I expect more from Liz Cheney.
And this is from someone who generally has high praise for the work the committee is doing.
Can you come up with a different reason to explain why Donald Trump would call a witness? This is not the first incident of witness tampering.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:38 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
There's one more hearing remaining. They'll take you through a minute by minute of the events of January 6th.

Personally, I don't think it looks good for Trump, all things considered, but I do have concerns about the whole process here.

Mr Raskin, Mrs Murphy, and her highness Liz Cheney did a good job, as usual, assuming you believe everything as told. I personally very much like the Chair, Mr. Thompson. I consider myself an independent conservative, if there is such a thing. They were tying things together today, for a tighter timeline. And of course, their comments are carefully crafted, notwithstanding the overall impression that Trump could not be reasoned with.

some thoughts:

Although people are under oath, many are simply expressing their own opinions of what was happening, what Trump meant when he said certain things, or posted on Twitter. People are being allowed to relay hearsay information, which is not admissible in a court of law but (?) is going to be permitted in with a body of evidence to supposedly prosecute Trump? that doesn't sit right with me ...

The two 'witnesses' today were a former hired spokesperson for the Oath Keepers and some 'regular Joe' who showed up on Jan 6th due to encouragement on social media. Tatenhove said he was once swayed by the Oath Keeper philosophy but left them after years of service after he overheard a conversation among members denying the Holocaust. He feels/admits that the group is violent, para-military, and that their leader, Rhodes, is off the rails. Then he throws in the 'what if it happens again?' Chances are likely this was a one time event - but what do I know?

Ayers, the regular Joe guy, got caught up in the frenzy. He indicated when Trump told people to go to the Capitol, he followed along with everyone else. He believed in Trump and believed the election had been stolen (but of course, he doesn't now). Claims he left the building when Trump finally told people to leave. He's only been charged with trespassing (other charges were dropped) but claims he lost his job, had to sell his house, etc. His wife was sitting behind him.

I felt most sorry for Pat Cipollone - seemed like he was threading the needle when answering. Some questions he couldn't answer due to privilege but even he said at some point, everyone finally came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough to prove fraud in the election, at least not enough to change the result - everyone except Trump, who went off the rails. And the people around Trump, even trusted personal advisors, were not able to sway him in his conviction.

That's my take. Anyone see somethng I missed or misinterpreted, please let me know. I did wash my windows and blinds during the first half but sat for the 2nd. I'm weary of it all, but also very troubled.
The lengthy discussion about how the j6 speech evolved was very telling. And this is all substantiated by national archive documents, different variations and hand edits and then the actual speech so no hearsay. Clearly trump was told not or incite, to use the word peaceful. Over 2 days the speech turned into a call to overthrow the election process.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
He will skate on this. He always does. There is just enough to get s excited that maybe he pays a price, but like always, it fizzles away like a Coke that has sat out too long
Lots of politicians get off scott free. meanwhile a simple clerk gets Rikers Island for defending himself.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:41 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,251,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Can you come up with a different reason to explain why Donald Trump would call a witness? This is not the first incident of witness tampering.
In reality it could be for a number of reasons. Might even have nothing to do with the testimony. I don’t know who the witness is so I don’t know the nature of the relationship. Hey, he could be calling his daughter or SIL about dinner plans.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:43 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I can agree to what you just said, I as a Trump voter. I do believe Trump wanted to stop the electoral college from doing its job. it appears that he was trying to do anything desperately making that happen. There is enough evidence to support that.
I can tell you how this is going to end. Trump or any of his family will never see a day in jail, so you can stop wishing for that. Where this is headed and you can see it with the evidence. As per the following Federal Criminal Code. He wont be allowed to run for president, or hold any office again. He wont even be allowed on the ballot. Get ready for that probably by the end of the year.

18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection

'' Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.''

Old 07-12-2022, 03:48 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
I still think a lot of people like Antifa types used the rally as an opportunity to do their evil, just like in 2020 with so called "peaceful protestors" then BLM entered in and thats when mayhem happened.

without cross examining in a proper trial, i cannot accept your statement. You are not a mind reader. me neither. a cross examining lawyer would have to prove his intent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Why do you think that a lot of people like Antifa types used the rally as an opportunity to do their evil?

No one claiming that Antifa activists stormed the Capitol has provided legitimate proof.

The evidence that Trump supporters participated, however, is indisputable.
Quote:
oh its just common sense. Criminals use OPPORTUNITY to commit a crime (leaving a car door open, etc).

You dont believe that some Antifa or Oathkeepers would even go so far as to dress up like a Trump supporter, all to hide themselves and also cause people to blame it on Trump supporters when they released their mayhem?

sorry, but i put them all in a box - Antifa, Oathkeepers, BLM, they are all riotous when given the opportunity.
No one claiming that Antifa or BLM activists stormed the Capitol has provided legitimate proof. That's the way our system works.

But as for the Oathkeepers? Well, just watch the hearing and you will see. I won't spoil it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:48 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
I still think a lot of people like Antifa types used the rally as an opportunity to do their evil, just like in 2020 with so called "peaceful protestors" then BLM entered in and thats when mayhem happened.

without cross examining in a proper trial, i cannot accept your statement. You are not a mind reader. me neither. a cross examining lawyer would have to prove his intent.
It's amazing that absolutely none of them were arrested after the fact. They must be ninjas.