Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be watching the House January 6 Committee hearing?
YES-WATCHING 70 24.56%
NO-NOT WATCHING 215 75.44%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 05:09 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,911,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hi - i recorded the hearing today so i will watch later.. was this the last day of hearings?

Also, with what was said today, did it drag Trump even worse in a hole. I only got to see the first 45 minutes on lunch time.

I think i caught a few things that made me think Trump should NEVER have had that rally on Jan 6th. Even if it was intended for good, it turned out bad. If i were him, i would have thought it might have caused something bad to happen, and it did. the optics so to speak.

he should have had a rally on a different day and not so close to the Capitol. that might have prevented things.
There was NO POINT in doing that—
Having a rally on a different day and place would not have stopped the certification of election results
That was the only outcome Trump wanted—to stop the certification so he could get false electors involved and steal the election from Biden….

And today’s info that Trump (once again) reached out to a witness—this one who had not testified yet who informed his/her attorney who informed the Committee—
So the 1/6 informed the DoJ with much more details (like names/time/proof)

Trump has certainly tried this before—influencing witnesses—and this time he likely could be charged and tried for that
It is a felony
It is fairly easy to prove because just the attempt is enough to break the law
And they know Trump and his minions have done it about the 1/6 testimony—people testifying about Kavanaugh, the women testifying about Trump’s assaults—-
It is his modus operandi— bully anyone who threatens him or won’t cave to what he wants

And because he has no impulse control and no patience he is totally unable to stop trying to control people and what they might reveal…

12,971 posts, read 9,670,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
There's one more hearing remaining. They'll take you through a minute by minute of the events of January 6th.

Personally, I don't think it looks good for Trump, all things considered, but I do have concerns about the whole process here.

Mr Raskin, Mrs Murphy, and her highness Liz Cheney did a good job, as usual, assuming you believe everything as told. I personally very much like the Chair, Mr. Thompson. I consider myself an independent conservative, if there is such a thing. They were tying things together today, for a tighter timeline. And of course, their comments are carefully crafted, notwithstanding the overall impression that Trump could not be reasoned with.

some thoughts:

Although people are under oath, many are simply expressing their own opinions of what was happening, what Trump meant when he said certain things, or posted on Twitter. People are being allowed to relay hearsay information, which is not admissible in a court of law but (?) is going to be permitted in with a body of evidence to supposedly prosecute Trump? that doesn't sit right with me ...

The two 'witnesses' today were a former hired spokesperson for the Oath Keepers and some 'regular Joe' who showed up on Jan 6th due to encouragement on social media. Tatenhove said he was once swayed by the Oath Keeper philosophy but left them after years of service after he overheard a conversation among members denying the Holocaust. He feels/admits that the group is violent, para-military, and that their leader, Rhodes, is off the rails. Then he throws in the 'what if it happens again?' Chances are likely this was a one time event - but what do I know?

Ayers, the regular Joe guy, got caught up in the frenzy. He indicated when Trump told people to go to the Capitol, he followed along with everyone else. He believed in Trump and believed the election had been stolen (but of course, he doesn't now). Claims he left the building when Trump finally told people to leave. He's only been charged with trespassing (other charges were dropped) but claims he lost his job, had to sell his house, etc. His wife was sitting behind him.

I felt most sorry for Pat Cipollone - seemed like he was threading the needle when answering. Some questions he couldn't answer due to privilege but even he said at some point, everyone finally came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough to prove fraud in the election, at least not enough to change the result - everyone except Trump, who went off the rails. And the people around Trump, even trusted personal advisors, were not able to sway him in his conviction.

That's my take. Anyone see somethng I missed or misinterpreted, please let me know. I did wash my windows and blinds during the first half but sat for the 2nd. I'm weary of it all, but also very troubled.
Sounds like a pretty good summary.

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
also did a spit-take today when rudy giuliani, the man that last week called a solid pat on the back as an assault, was calling other people pu**ies.
Raging hypocrisy is pretty common among Team Crazy.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I think it’s an exaggeration and even inflammatory. The committee should stick to the facts and not embellish. We do not know that a phone call that was never answered is witness tampering.
This smacks of sensationalism and I expect more from Liz Cheney.
And this is from someone who generally has high praise for the work the committee is doing.
Trump has no business calling ANYONE who is going to testify to the 1/6 committee
It is off limits to him and to his buddies
I am sure their attorneys have told them not to do that
But we know that Trump does not listen and has no patience/self-control so I am sure he has done it in the past and will going forward

He can’t help himself—as a malignant narcissist he has to be in control of anything he sees as a threat
And having someone testify about him and the 1/6 is definitely a threat

Old 07-12-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
There's one more hearing remaining. They'll take you through a minute by minute of the events of January 6th.

Personally, I don't think it looks good for Trump, all things considered, but I do have concerns about the whole process here.

Mr Raskin, Mrs Murphy, and her highness Liz Cheney did a good job, as usual, assuming you believe everything as told. I personally very much like the Chair, Mr. Thompson. I consider myself an independent conservative, if there is such a thing. They were tying things together today, for a tighter timeline. And of course, their comments are carefully crafted, notwithstanding the overall impression that Trump could not be reasoned with.

some thoughts:

Although people are under oath, many are simply expressing their own opinions of what was happening, what Trump meant when he said certain things, or posted on Twitter. People are being allowed to relay hearsay information, which is not admissible in a court of law but (?) is going to be permitted in with a body of evidence to supposedly prosecute Trump? that doesn't sit right with me ...

The two 'witnesses' today were a former hired spokesperson for the Oath Keepers and some 'regular Joe' who showed up on Jan 6th due to encouragement on social media. Tatenhove said he was once swayed by the Oath Keeper philosophy but left them after years of service after he overheard a conversation among members denying the Holocaust. He feels/admits that the group is violent, para-military, and that their leader, Rhodes, is off the rails. Then he throws in the 'what if it happens again?' Chances are likely this was a one time event - but what do I know?

Ayers, the regular Joe guy, got caught up in the frenzy. He indicated when Trump told people to go to the Capitol, he followed along with everyone else. He believed in Trump and believed the election had been stolen (but of course, he doesn't now). Claims he left the building when Trump finally told people to leave. He's only been charged with trespassing (other charges were dropped) but claims he lost his job, had to sell his house, etc. His wife was sitting behind him.

I felt most sorry for Pat Cipollone - seemed like he was threading the needle when answering. Some questions he couldn't answer due to privilege but even he said at some point, everyone finally came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough to prove fraud in the election, at least not enough to change the result - everyone except Trump, who went off the rails. And the people around Trump, even trusted personal advisors, were not able to sway him in his conviction.

That's my take. Anyone see somethng I missed or misinterpreted, please let me know. I did wash my windows and blinds during the first half but sat for the 2nd. I'm weary of it all, but also very troubled.
Pat Cipollone defended Trump during the 2nd Impeachment and he knew exactly then what he was telling today—there was NO evidence of fraud—
Why would he not tell the truth during his statement at the Impeachment???
Maybe because he couldn’t afford to have Trump impeached—maybe because he thought he might need a pardon—maybe because it was too close to the coup attempt and he would have been viewed as a traitor to Trump loyalists—
I am disgusted with Cipollone that it took 18 months and tons of leaked information about the machinations behind the scenes with Trump’s off-their-nut “thinkers” and that those people are still holding out the Big Lie and getting away with it
Cipollone must still have a lot of blowback that could come back at him if he really tells the truth

Old 07-12-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
but that's just it, this was intentionally designed by trump and crew to disrupt ( and somehow overturn ) the certification.
When I heard about that rally planned for that day and time, I knew something going to go down. I mean I'm just the average joe, somewhere here in America, and I knew something was going to blowup that day. I was thinking, why in the world would he be having a rally on that day, when he was just voted out of office.

Last edited by ipaper; 07-12-2022 at 05:36 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 05:24 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
The lengthy discussion about how the j6 speech evolved was very telling. And this is all substantiated by national archive documents, different variations and hand edits and then the actual speech so no hearsay. Clearly trump was told not or incite, to use the word peaceful. Over 2 days the speech turned into a call to overthrow the election process.
That I don't doubt. I was talking about Cassidy Hutchinson who relayed info in these terms "he said something to the effect that....." Nearly her entire testimony was like this. Of course, I think much of it has been substantiated by other testimony.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:25 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,465,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Also, with what was said today, did it drag Trump even worse in a hole.

yep IMO. it reinforced that his staff repeatedly informed him that there was no significant voter fraud and yet he still actively sought ways to circumnavigate the election results ( enter "team crazy" ). it also was shown today that it had always been the intention to march the crowd to the capitol after the rally and wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:26 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,237,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
When I heard about that rally planned for that day and time, I knew something going to go down. I mean I'm just the average joe, somewhere here in America, and I knew something was going to blowup that. I was thinking, why in the world would he be having a rally on that day, when he was just voted out of office.
For a protest. That's what I thought. But I think that at the time, I thought he would come to his senses and give up on the fraud charge, especially since all the lawsuits had been thrown out of court.

Old 07-12-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Pat Cipollone defended Trump during the 2nd Impeachment and he knew exactly then what he was telling today—there was NO evidence of fraud—
Why would he not tell the truth during his statement at the Impeachment???
Maybe because he couldn’t afford to have Trump impeached—maybe because he thought he might need a pardon—maybe because it was too close to the coup attempt and he would have been viewed as a traitor to Trump loyalists—
I am disgusted with Cipollone that it took 18 months and tons of leaked information about the machinations behind the scenes with Trump’s off-their-nut “thinkers” and that those people are still holding out the Big Lie and getting away with it
Cipollone must still have a lot of blowback that could come back at him if he really tells the truth
He only did it because of Hutchinson testimony, and the subpoena he received. Yeah, that's unfortunate that he waited so long, but I'm pleased that he did finally did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies