Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:53 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Pro athletes play all over the world in other sports - even with known adversaries like China and Russia. If anyone wants to complain, start there.

I wonder if the Saudis would detain Johnson for 4 months for a low level drug offense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 09:32 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
DJ has proven that he is an individual with absolutely no moral compass. I don’t begrudge a guy trying to make a buck, but his willingness to accept Saudi blood money is reprehensible. The Saudis are doing exactly what Hitler and his Nazi party did in 1936 Berlin Olympics…using sports as a way to try and distract the world from seeing them as being a bunch of murderers. DJ and everyone of the aforementioned golfers should be banned from all future PGA Tour, European Tour, Senior PGA Tour, and USGA events. There are all a bunch of whores.
They won't be able to play in PGA tournaments including the Ryder Cup.

The Ryder Cup and the Majors are all great sporting events, and I am sure the prestige and history of such events will still attract many young golfers.

As for some of the golfers mentioned, they are nearing the point in their careers where they would be looking at the Seniors Tour, so they are probably quite happy to take the money.

I did notice that two of the LIV Venues are Trump Golf Clubs at Bedminster NJ and Miami FL.

LIV Golf 2022 Season - Wikipedia

As for whether the Saudi's see a good return on the vast amounts they seem to be prepared to spend, is any ones guess.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-08-2022 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-08-2022, 11:27 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,415,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
As someone who has lived in the Middle East a long time, and understands the nuances, I don’t see the Saudis as evil or a destabilizing influence on the region. I see them as the opposite of that.

If you want to find true evil, it’s coming from the side that doesn’t like Saudi Arabia.

But I get it, leftists are upset because Khashoggi was killed. But he knew the danger he was in, and he was warned repeatedly to stop working to overthrow the rulers. I don’t believe that Americans, even leftists, would like a Saudi Arabia run by Wahabbists as opposed to MBS and his regime. Which is what Khashoggi was advocating for.

If I was a golfer, I would have zero problems working with the Saudis.
Correction…”If I were a golfer” not “If I was a golfer”.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:29 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,556,670 times
I don't think Phil Mickelson (for instance) is struggling for cash, he currently has a net worth of $300m. I don't understand the appeal or why you'd let your integrity come into question like that.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:56 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
I don't think Phil Mickelson (for instance) is struggling for cash, he currently has a net worth of $300m. I don't understand the appeal or why you'd let your integrity come into question like that.

Depends on how you view Saudi Arabia. A whole lot of nations have done a whole lot worse.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:08 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Hard to say. Phil has been up to his neck in gambling losses for a number of years now. Wealthy in terms of net worth but last I checked you can't just walk into a sports book, take off your Rolex, put in on the counter and tell 'em "Put it all on Santa's Little Helper". You need cash or credit to do that, which I suspect Phil is in need of both and playing in this bougie (even by golf standards) event.

Oh... and no morals.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:18 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Depends on how you view Saudi Arabia. A whole lot of nations have done a whole lot worse.
The same way I view any country that hacks a journalist up and still beheads people in public executions while extending almost no rights to women. Pretty poorly.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:54 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Will the tournaments be televised in the US?

Old 06-08-2022, 01:02 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Not everyone thinks SA is a bad country.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:07 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Will the tournaments be televised in the US?
I would expect some network to air them. Probably not one of the networks currently airing PGA events but who knows. Money talks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies