Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 05:04 AM

19,301 posts, read 17,205,405 times

Advertisements

If you haven't seen the news the Abbott Baby Food Plant in Michigan is closed again due to flooding at the facility and after only coming back online 2 weeks ago. https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/15/healt...lay/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 05:24 AM

8,465 posts, read 7,480,730 times
More info...

Quote:
In a statement, Abbott said severe weather and rainfall that reached the state's southwest side this week overwhelmed the city's stormwater system and resulted in flooding in areas of the plant.

"As a result, Abbott has stopped production of its EleCare specialty formula that was underway to assess damage caused by the storm and clean and re-sanitize the plant," Abbott said.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...an/7643719001/

IOW, the local sewer system was overwhelmed by too much rain, and the sewer backed up onto the plant floor.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:25 AM

26,039 posts, read 13,051,959 times
I've read that the FDA never proved that the Abbott plant was responsible for any baby deaths. Is that still the case?

The strain of bacteria found in the babies didn't match anything found in Abbott's baby formula plant.

If so, why did the FDA close it down? Did Abbott refuse to pay kickbacks or something like that? Pay to play, but Abbott took their ball & left instead?

The federal gov't is a train wreck, & most of the things that go wrong in America can be traced back to DC.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:32 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,809,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I've read that the FDA never proved that the Abbott plant was responsible for any baby deaths. Is that still the case?

The strain of bacteria found in the babies didn't match anything found in Abbott's baby formula plant.

If so, why did the FDA close it down? Did Abbott refuse to pay kickbacks or something like that? Pay to play, but Abbott took their ball & left instead?

The federal gov't is a train wreck, & most of the things that go wrong in America can be traced back to DC.
The whistle-blower had been fired before he whistled. Maybe he was grinding an axe.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:35 AM

9,391 posts, read 7,028,350 times
The proof lies in the pudding

Old 06-16-2022, 05:57 AM

19,301 posts, read 17,205,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

The FDA did not close it down, Abbott voluntarily closed it after the product contamination was identified. Private industry not Federal Government run this facility..

Old 06-16-2022, 06:00 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
If anyone bothers to read the full story linked in the OP they will find some rather interesting info. Abbott's other locations were and are actually producing more food than in 2021 and they have stockpiles sufficient to meet the 2021 demand. Now unless there was a baby boom this year, that is a pretty strong indication of hoarding on the news of shortages. I don't blame parents; I would do the same thing in their shoes. But it is really hard to get stocks back to normal when inventory is going to consumer pantries in excess of immediate need.

The story also quote from the congressional testimony (that I did not watch) from FDA about this plant. The roof needed to be replaced along with several other structural issues. When they inspected it they found workers slogging around in mud and dirt on the floors and sampling found bacteria everywhere. The place was a disaster. Thank goodness the FDA shut them down and made them clean it up,

Old 06-16-2022, 06:03 AM

24,068 posts, read 15,185,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If anyone bothers to read the full story linked in the OP they will find some rather interesting info. Abbott's other locations were and are actually producing more food than in 2021 and they have stockpiles sufficient to meet the 2021 demand. Now unless there was a baby boom this year, that is a pretty strong indication of hoarding on the news of shortages. I don't blame parents; I would do the same thing in their shoes. But it is really hard to get stocks back to normal when inventory is going to consumer pantries in excess of immediate need.

The story also quote from the congressional testimony (that I did not watch) from FDA about this plant. The roof needed to be replaced along with several other structural issues. When they inspected it they found workers slogging around in mud and dirt on the floors and sampling found bacteria everywhere. The place was a disaster. Thank goodness the FDA shut them down and made them clean it up,

Thanks for the rest of the story.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:10 AM

45,305 posts, read 26,570,887 times
We will still blame the FDA. Thats just how it is.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:33 AM

26,039 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The FDA did not close it down, Abbott voluntarily closed it after the product contamination was identified. Private industry not Federal Government run this facility..
Why would a company close down a profitable plant, and not just make the needed upgrades?

This sounds like a pay-to-play scam gone wrong to me. It likely blew up in the Feds faces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies